PDA

View Full Version : Wrexham - A Microcosm of World Economics - The Pound Store Revolt

Dak Man
21st Jan 2014, 17:00
BBC News - Police calm angry crowd at Wrexham's 99p Stores sale (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-25823177)

The 99p Stores in Wrexham was temporarily closed after crowds of shoppers flocked to a half-price sale which was advertised until 28 January.

However, many became angry and refused to leave when staff put prices back up to the full 99p price.

Sunnyjohn
21st Jan 2014, 18:34
Thank you for posting this, Dak Man - it made my day!

Art Smass
22nd Jan 2014, 00:58
"the store was "chock-a-block" with people, some of whom had queued for two hours"

for a 49p discount :eek:

I know Wrexham ain't exactly the entertainment capital of the UK (the mighty Robins aside :ok:), but surely there's a better way to spend 2 hrs there?

500N
22nd Jan 2014, 01:00
Do people seriously get that uppity over a 50p discount ?

lomapaseo
22nd Jan 2014, 03:02
The company said it had honoured the 50p sale prices for customers in the store on the day.

It just shows to go that when you've got the wait staff in a choke hold don't let go until you're satisfied.

I bet the customers that left early bitching are sorry now they didn't stay for the 50p

bye-the-way what's 50p in us $

Art Smass
22nd Jan 2014, 04:15
bye-the-way what's 50p in us $

a tad over 80c:)

Krystal n chips
22nd Jan 2014, 05:55
" Do people seriously get that uppity over a 50p discount ?"

Sometimes yes, because 50p's can mount up. Why do you think we now have food banks in the UK.....c/o the "age of austerity" Gov't.

anotherthing
22nd Jan 2014, 08:01
... and why do we have the 'age of austerity' Government?

Because of the mess NuLabour left us in :ugh::ugh:

Loose rivets
22nd Jan 2014, 08:08
Ten shillings!

I'd work all Saturday morning and only get 7'n 6. We used to dream of havin' ten shillings.

Effluent Man
22nd Jan 2014, 08:21
Mrs EM and myself agree fundamentally on this.She would food shop at M&S given the chance.Our local butcher charges around 6 for an,admittedly very good steak. Recently he shut one of his shops and the other is a 6mile round trip.I bought LIDL steaks 2 for 6.99 and they are just as good,that is a saving of 2.50 a steak.

G-CPTN
22nd Jan 2014, 08:22
I suspect that many of the customers were not just buying one item - some would be making multiple purchases and thus 'saving' more than just 49p.

However, I thought that retailers simply 'offered to sell' at a stated price rather than being obliged to supply?

cockney steve
22nd Jan 2014, 14:46
However, I thought that retailers simply 'offered to sell' at a stated price rather than being obliged to supply?

I suspect the intellect of the target market was not up to assimilating that fact.
An advertised price is, or was, an"offer to treat" an antiquated bit of English ,loosly translating to a "come-on" a genuine mistake, such as a 14.99 ticket, when it should be 144.99, does not have to be honoured.....but then the Sale of Goods Act could well come into play, for "false representation" or Misleading advertising.
many chains sidestep this easily......in a small branch at a fairly obscure location, an item is ticketed at, say double normal price. the locals know this is ridiculous and staff probably warn-off any interested parties......after 28 days, they can legally announce "50% reduction....genuine 1/2 price sale "...in any of their branches.
moral?- look at the quality and compare elsewhere.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Jan 2014, 15:05
I go into stores now and again, for while much is tat, there are real bargains to be had and I'm not too proud. if the quality is the same as elsewhere. They seem to be the only growth sector in the high street retail environment at the moment.

Whatever the price and discount, if it's offered, it should be honoured. However, as pointed out earlier the legal process of a sale is not how most of the customers think it is, the whole 'offer' and 'acceptance' and then another step. It was explained in JB a while ago when discussing what is legal tender. If one uses those automatic tellers in supermarkets and is partaking of a price reduction, the reduced price is ONLY shown after you have paid the full amount and then one receives the return of one's change including the discount. It's to do with this process above (which I haven't managed to explain very well).

SHJ

Dak Man
22nd Jan 2014, 15:10
'Tis indeed a growth sector

Steve Smith: Founder of Poundland started with an old desk and a fax machine - then sold it for 50MILLION - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/steve-smith-founder-poundland-started-3036761)

gingernut
22nd Jan 2014, 20:24
There is something quite magical about coming out of a "Poundland" with a tenners worth of Sh1te, one feels like a King !

Until you realise that most of the stuff is made of "mugs metal.":(

Still can't resist a mooch though, have had a few bargains.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Jan 2014, 20:33
For my mind, the household items and food items are exceptional value and perhaps stationary as well. I've heard tales of small shops buying from pound stores and selling the stuff for a profit, albeit for less than the supermarkets. Batteries are also interesting, although one has to be careful which brand. If they are 'good' they last as long as any thrice priced equivalents in other stores. My nearest store is in a chavvy area and if one should venture in there after 11am in the day it becomes a cacophony (btw where's caco these days ?) of all that is ailing the UK these days :uhoh:

SHJ

500N
22nd Jan 2014, 20:40
"btw where's caco these days ?"

Banned.

Re batteries, Eneloop rechargeables, only way to go IMHO.

radarman
22nd Jan 2014, 20:54
SHJ

For my mind, the household items and food items are exceptional value

Be very careful when saying this! There was a prog on these 'Poundshops' a few weeks ago which showed some of their scammy tricks. Such is their buying power that they have persuaded big food manufacturers to produce slightly smaller packs so they can still make money by selling at a pound. To the average punter it will look like a normal loaf of bread (I think W#burtons are in on this scam) but it will be about 10% smaller than the usual sized loaf sold in the main supermarkets. Nobody notices the difference in size and thinks they are getting the normal sized loaf cheap. Same with M#rs bars, branded washing-up liquid, detergent etc. Very often the price per 100g is actually more than the same brand in Adsa, More Isons etc. Beware.

Mechta
22nd Jan 2014, 21:39
There are so many different size packs and types of batteries sold in the local 99p shop, that I thought I would check if there were any that were worth having amongst them.

This site, Battery Showdown — The Best AA Battery You Can Buy? (http://www.batteryshowdown.com/)suggests that some of the alkalines these places sell aren't ok. I would avoid the carbon zinc ones though.

500N
22nd Jan 2014, 21:45
radarman

You are spot on. Some people will always see the price and not the value.

Mechta
Cheap batteries are cheap for a reason and anyone who thinks otherwise
needs to do some research like you.

Capetonian
22nd Jan 2014, 22:16
I had never heard of Poundland until I had the misfortune to go to Crawley. I don't even think Swindon has one, if they do it's probably called Zlotyland, but the Poles would be too classy to shop there.

Windy Militant
22nd Jan 2014, 22:26
There's a pound land in Swindon back of the Brunel centre off Regents street.

They haven't caught on in Cardigan though, although they would have crowds of "Cardis" standing out side, saying fifty pence duw duw, I'm not paying fifty pence for that!

We Cardis are not tight, we just like to get on first name terms with our money! ;)

Krystal n chips
23rd Jan 2014, 05:20
"Do you honestly believe what you write"

Yes, because unlike you, I reside in the UK.

A very nice story about the fall in unemployment, however, lets wait and see what happens when interest rates rise, as was proposed when unemployment fell to 7 %.......and the mortgage rates rise accordingly.

Poundland will become a very attractive proposition for many.....wonder why this may be ?

anotherthing
23rd Jan 2014, 06:26
You are not the only one who lives in the UK, but you seem unable to grasp the fact that NuLabour and their policies made almost brought Britain to its knees financially. Or do you think we should have spent our way out of the problem, as suggested by Labour? :ugh::ugh:
lets wait and see what happens when interest rates rise, as was proposed when unemployment fell to 7%Wrong. It was said that they would only even consider increasing interest rates if and when unemployment fell below 7%.
There are other factors and at the moment indications are that because of these factors there will be no need to raise interest rates for some time, even if we fall below 7% unemployment.

Of course it must gall you that the austerity measures are actually working and that the economy is starting to recover very nicely.

Effluent Man
23rd Jan 2014, 08:13
Well forgive me if I don't believe it.The evidence I am seeing is that most people are worse off and still moving in that direction.The vast majority of jobs are either for those with specific skills that most don't actually have or zero hours contracts that provide just enough to get those who take them off the job seekers number.Dave's smoke and mirrors.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Jan 2014, 08:23
There is something quite magical about coming out of a "Poundland" with a tenners worth of Sh1te, one feels like a King !

Until you realise that most of the stuff is made of "mugs metal."

The World has produced a load of cr*p - the wonder is that people buy it!

Effluent Man
23rd Jan 2014, 08:27
Absolutely spot on.There is a scene in Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights where a TV shopping channel is flogging spinning umbrella hats.In the next scene Kay is wearing a tartan one in the rain.I thought it was a spoof but apparently not.

MG23
23rd Jan 2014, 13:42
Why do you think we now have food banks in the UK.....c/o the "age of austerity" Gov't.

Austerity?

Cameron's government borrowed 12,100,000,000 pounds in December alone.

That's 'austerity'?

racedo
23rd Jan 2014, 14:35
and I'm not too proud.

Well obviously, you are on JB......:E

racedo
23rd Jan 2014, 14:38
I had never heard of Poundland until I had the misfortune to go to Crawley. I don't even think Swindon has one, if they do it's probably called Zlotyland, but the Poles would be too classy to shop there.

Hey been in Crawley recently as well, its in the old Woolies store.............lots of Polish shops in Crawley as well, do love their Donuts.

racedo
23rd Jan 2014, 14:41
Wrong. It was said that they would only even consider increasing interest rates if and when unemployment fell below 7%.
There are other factors and at the moment indications are that because of these factors there will be no need to raise interest rates for some time, even if we fall below 7% unemployment.

That is Mark Carney's call at Independent Bank of England.................a good call from Labour on giving it Independence.