PDA

View Full Version : Night work 'throws body into chaos'

Hobo
21st Jan 2014, 09:09
Night work 'throws body into chaos' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25812422)

sikeano
21st Jan 2014, 10:02
What next??? Pope is Catholic???

:ok:

Lon More
21st Jan 2014, 10:39
after more than 35 years of shift work, including 1 night shift every 6 days, I didn't know if I was punched, bored or countersunk

CaptainProp
21st Jan 2014, 11:31
Interesting report from a UK study:

Doing the night shift throws the body "into chaos" and could cause long-term damage, warn researchers.

Shift work has been linked to higher rates of type 2 diabetes, heart attacks and cancer.

Now scientists at the Sleep Research Centre in Surrey have uncovered the disruption shift work causes at the deepest molecular level.

Experts said the scale, speed and severity of damage caused by being awake at night was a surprise.

The rest of the article here:

BBC News - Night work 'throws body into chaos' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25812422)

CaptainProp
21st Jan 2014, 12:20
Sorry, just realized that Hobo already posted the article...

lomapaseo
21st Jan 2014, 12:40

I much prefer a synopsis like yours. :ok:

I don't have time to click every link to see if I'm interested in joining the discussion.

Blacksheep
21st Jan 2014, 12:55
I worked night shifts for 24 years in the Royal Air Force and the airlines. At 'Big Airways' I worked permanent nights for two years and that was particularly difficult. I eventually moved into Tech Support and permanent "office hours". What a relief that was but - too late! A year later, in 1991, I suffered a heart attack. Aged just 43. :(

sky9
21st Jan 2014, 13:02
Tell this to the EU and their flight time "experts"
Working night shifts ?sends body into chaos? and could cause lasting damage to health - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/working-night-shifts-sends-body-into-chaos-and-could-cause-lasting-damage-to-health-9074052.html)

BN2A
21st Jan 2014, 13:05
Why bother??? They don't give a flying one anyway!!! (Pun intended..)

:ugh:

bcgallacher
22nd Jan 2014, 08:53
I did not need to be told this - as a line engineer I worked 3 shift patterns for most of my career but the seven years permanent nights with Saudia we're not a lot of fun.I ended up with type 2 diabetes possibly as the report suggests by night work.

Fliegenmong
22nd Jan 2014, 09:03

Good one :D:D

tony draper
22nd Jan 2014, 09:06
It is much more damaging to health for we burglars to work during the day.:uhoh:

beaufort1
22nd Jan 2014, 09:50
I worked night shifts for over thirty years, first in the RAF then in the Coastguard, I retired coming up to two years ago and I struggle to get to sleep one night a week I'm guessing would have coincided with my old shift pattern of working one night out of every six.:ouch:

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2014, 09:52
I used to work a duty roster that constantly alternated from nights into day shifts and back again, albeit based at the same place and no night-stops away.

Despite this not being "jet lag" in the usually recognised sense, I felt that my body was forever trying to adjust without ever quite making it, which made me feel constantly fatigued.

Vitesse
22nd Jan 2014, 10:54
For a couple of years I worked nights stacking fridges in a supermarket.

Mind numbing work, [email protected]@dy cold and the helpful employers used to turn the lights down to save money.

They also insisted we took an hour long break, which no-one wanted.

In the end I was screwed up by the three night a week schedule and not sleeping much in the day. The hours suited my family life but it was at a price I couldn't pay. The jet-lag thing ShyTorque mentions, all the time.

Ancient Mariner
22nd Jan 2014, 11:57
Did the 4 to 8 watch for 12 months on a ship only sailing east.
4 to 8 watch is 04:00 to 08:00 and then 16:00 to 20:00 hrs seven days a week. Then we had to work overtime at least from 08:00 to 12:00 hrs to get enough money to spend on girls and drinks.
Add the perpetual changing of time zones, a couple of 8 day weeks, the heat in the engine room and guess what? It never bothered me much, then again I was 18 and immortal.
Would I do it now? Wouldn't have survived one week. :(
Pe