PDA

View Full Version : Gmail problem

vulcanised
20th Jan 2014, 19:41
Strange behaviour from Gmail the last few days. I use SRWare Iron to load it, as I have done for some time, but it won't complete loading. The progress bar gets to about 80% and just hangs there.

The inbox comes up if I switch to the HTML option from standard view but I'm wondering why the problem?

I've not changed any settings so I'm at a loss as to what's causing it.

cattletruck
22nd Jan 2014, 11:42
Me three. It was a PITA this morning.

I think it's their seruptitous work to morph gmail into their google+ social media system as I'm beginning to notice more and more unwanted "features" in gmail and having to wait for them to fully load before I can open up an email to read. Also noticed the first page of gmail uses 0.5Mb to 1Mb of data transfer just to load a single screen sized page of simple text.

mixture
22nd Jan 2014, 13:14
Also noticed the first page of gmail uses 0.5Mb to 1Mb of data transfer just to load a single screen sized page of simple text.

That's because Google increasingly send great globs of Javascript to your browser because they want your computer to do the work of rendering the user interface rather than making their servers do the work in server-side rendering.

Look at the homepage for google dot com.... see how much Javascript crud they're shovelling your way.

vulcanised
22nd Jan 2014, 14:15
Relieved to hear it's not just me.

What with that and Yahoo which I've virtually given up on because it insists on offering me a 'theme' (and never mind any mail) every time I log in!

vulcanised
14th Feb 2014, 16:28
Just an update to say it's working on the regular view again.

Wonder if it's connected to the Flash update I did a few days ago?

mixture
14th Feb 2014, 16:41
Wonder if it's connected to the Flash update I did a few days ago?

Googoo (and Yahoo, for that matter) don't use Flash....... its all built on literally half a ton of Javascript and CSS templates.

cattletruck
15th Feb 2014, 13:09
its all built on literally half a ton of Javascript and CSS templates

Which is why if you clear your browser cache regularly the bl@@dy thing takes forever to load the next time you use it. Other times it just takes forever to display a simple textual list of 50 email subjects :ugh:.

KBPsen
15th Feb 2014, 14:17
Switch to basic HTML view.