PDA

View Full Version : From cabin crew to pilot

SPANK-VT
20th Jan 2014, 19:19
Hi everyone , I'm a low hours pilot looking for a job . I've already got my frozen ATPL with CPL/IR and MCC/JOC course.
As the situation in the market of job is not wonderful I'd like try to apply for a job as a cabin crew or in etihad or emirates and , if I can get there start from that and try to find a job as a pilot. Is there anyone that already have done this or have any advice?
Thanks a lot

Jean-Francois
20th Jan 2014, 21:47
You will always hear two versions...

1) being staff member for an airline is nice... As a cabin crew you will directly work with the flight deck crew. You will be promoted as senior cabin crew one day. You might even meet TRI/TRE Cpt, line training Cpt. Maybe you can bring your resume to the HR and maybe as a vacancy will open you would be on the reserved list!

2) being staff member for an airline is a handicap... As cabin crew you will belong to one family from the company. The Flight deck crews do not spend time with the stewards/stewardesses. You have your duties and that is it!
A cabin crew from RYR who is a fully graduated pilot told me that he would have to resign before starting the assessment with its company!

I did the selection for Quatar Airways for cabin crew few years ago as I wanted to be closer to my passion. I did not have my license... In the one hand I am now ready to enroll for an airline but most probably I do not expect to start as a cabin crew!
In the other hand aviation is a small world and everyone knows everyone... So it means that if U think that U can push your resume to the chief pilot, go for it!

Piltdown Man
21st Jan 2014, 08:53
I work for one where about half a dozen will be leaving their jobs as CAs to start flying in the bit with bigger windows. They will be better pilots as a result of their experience in the cabin and the company know that. We also know that it wasn't their first choice to take this route but it did allow them to them to keep in touch with flying and earn something. But to make the jump you have to be qualified, "brown nosing" counts for little.

PM

SPANK-VT
24th Jan 2014, 18:00
Thanks guys for reply. I though about that , but at the moment there are no so much opportunities for low hours pilot like me . I'd like know someone that have done my same choice and already made the "step forward" tho the front deck

average-punter
24th Jan 2014, 22:20
Several people have done it, it is definitely do-able.

A few pointers
- EK and the airline that must not be named are pretty pointless as they will not hire you with 200 hours!
- You need to target an airline which will hire low hour pilots and one in which you believe there will be little 'HR red tape' in the way of making the transition. Sometimes the smaller operators are better for this, but other airlines, like easyJet can and have offered the opportunity to a few lucky people.

Good Luck.

First.officer
25th Jan 2014, 11:40
Hi,

It can happen, and indeed that is exactly the route I took. I worked from c.2000 to 2004 as Cabin Crew for a UK Charter outfit, then did my Commercial Training, had a brief stint as a Dispatcher, then moved into Operations as a Controller, and then finally in 2007, ended up flying Biz Jets.....

As per other's comments, not sure how valid a route it is to actually get to the RHS of an aircraft (you would have to ask a prospective employer really as to their thoughts on this), but IMHO, and for me personally, it was great to have a perspective of what goes into the job in other areas of the business, and I still use this experience today - I think that's a good thing ;-).

F/o

xray one
25th Jan 2014, 15:36
If you want to be a pilot, then, as you're aware the first step is the most difficult. You need to be available at a moments notice with no strings.

So do any work to feed yourself

Think about getting a instructor rating (to do the above)

Keep banging the cvs in and don't give up