PDA

View Full Version : Missing file? message

tony draper
14th May 2002, 12:47
Had a few probs instaling a new Soundblaster card last night so I gave up on it, removed it from the machine, deleted everything to do with it,
Now, when I boot up I get message,
{Required file DevCon32.Dll, cannot be found, make sure it is in the right directory}
, anybody know what this means? or what this file is associated with, should I reload windows?.
The other one is windows has found pci multimedia device and is locating software for it.

Wave device for voice modem
Have tried putting the modem driver disk in the machine and pointing windows at the drivers for my patricular modem, but it just keeps telling me the disk does not contain drivers for my hardware.?
PS,my modem seems to be working just fine.
I seem to recal having trouble installing a soundblaster card once before, I think i either had to remove the modem and install the sound card then the modem or vivsa versa.
feckin puters :confused:

FL310
14th May 2002, 13:07
apparently you did an excellent job in removing all files...but did you also remove all entries in the registry (and since I don't know which system you are using) also in the config.sys and/or autoexec.bat and.....

What happens is simple, somewhere during the start-up of Windows a routine is called....your a.m. file....and it is simply missing.

Again, with some more info we may be able to point you to the correct position where the problem is originating from. For a start, fire up the PC in safe mode and select step by step booting. This way you can identify where the call for the routine comes from.

tony draper
14th May 2002, 13:40
Yes I did use regedit and delete all files for creative from the registry, but you are I did not look at autoexec,and config sys, will do that now thanks.