PDA

View Full Version : LOW LIFE HACKERS

Airey Belvoir
19th Jan 2014, 02:59
It has been reported that, during the recent fires in the Perth hills where almost 60 homes were destroyed, the emergency radio channels had to be switched to a less effective set of channels because some bozos had hacked into the main channel and were having a "chat". There were numerous requests from the emergency services on the ground for the idiots to desist but they kept it up for over an hour - just at the most critical moment.

Fire hackers put lives at risk - Yahoo!7 (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/latest/a/20833941/fire-hackers-put-lives-at-risk/)

Words fail me!

Hopefully the cops will track down and catch these idiots but I doubt a magistrate will give them the punishment they deserve.

Hydromet
19th Jan 2014, 06:22
This has happened in other states too. Hope they catch the [email protected] and give them some time inside. I don't know what the magistrates are like in WA, but I doubt they'd get much sympathy here.

The Department of Premier and Cabinet confirmed its email server shut down for "a few hours" on Sunday and Monday while the fires raged after it was inundated with anti-shark cull emails stemming from a Greenpeace campaign.

Love the way the West Australian (AKA the Daily Miner) tries to muddy the waters with something that has absolutely nothing to do with the real story.

Worrals in the wilds
19th Jan 2014, 07:36
Oxygen thieves, particularly if they were made aware of it and kept going :ugh:.

onetrack
19th Jan 2014, 07:52
Anyone who owns a CB radio knows that it is virtually useless around the city due to the constant verbal diarrhoea, abusive language and general garbage that fill the airwaves on all 40 channels - thanks to uneducated morons and bogans who have enough money to buy and install a CB - but not enough working brain cells, to understand disciplined radio etiquette.

Buster Hyman
19th Jan 2014, 08:05
Didn't hear anyone hacking the airwaves during Black Saturday, it was hard enough to get a word in anyway! Besides, we were more concerned about the Ferals with shotguns chasing crews off their property!

I know which pest I'd prefer... :(

onetrack
19th Jan 2014, 08:21
Buster, I'm sure you'll understand - if you were given instructions to guard a "cash crop" - or looking after one you were growing yourself - the last thing you'd want, is blokes in big red trucks cutting your fences, and driving straight over your prime crop ... :( :suspect: :E

Worrals in the wilds
19th Jan 2014, 08:22
Hey Buster, hope you're keeping safe down there! :ok:
A few years ago one of the local landowners managed to start a national park bushfire, thanks to an ill-advised backburning effort on his adjoining property. :ugh:

If in doubt shoot back...:} The greater community will support you.

radeng
19th Jan 2014, 11:46
Very difficult to do much after the event, though. It isn't unknown for such interference to come from supposedly legitimate users, though, who have the radios officially issued.

ACMA of course, issue the usual bland statement that ignores the fact that the perps have to be found first!

500N
19th Jan 2014, 11:53
managed to start a national park bushfire"

You meant in the feral animal infested, overgrown, unburnt off
major danger zones ? ;)

Worrals in the wilds
19th Jan 2014, 12:13
No, I mean in the pristine areas of Lamington National Park, first declared as National park in 1915 after a lot of political carrying on by some of the (now dead) bushy cousins/ancestors.
Lamington National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington_National_Park)

It was an ill-advised burn-off that shouldn't have occurred given the wind conditions. Bozo decided he knew best (who'd argue with a Farmer :ugh:) and torched it anyway, without consulting with QPWS.

As a result, parts of the park were threatened that hadn't burned in 6 generations of local memory. We're talking subtropical rainforest that is irreplaceable. In the good old days there was plenty more to spare, but now most of it's been cleared for farming and there's not a lot left.

500N
19th Jan 2014, 12:24
Worrals

A lovely place, the first place I ever visited in Qld when our family came here and our first real Aussie holiday (1979) was a drive Melbourne to Cairns and Lamington was the first stop on the first night after leaving Melbourne.

A superb park, still remember it, great scenery, great wildlife especially the birds :ok:

Every time I drive from Brisbane to somewhere I notice the latest bit of forest that has been bulldozed, especially inland from the Gold Coast and when they were expanding the highway down to the border. Two bulldozers with a huge chain between them stripping the ground :rolleyes: (Joh's era).

Worrals in the wilds
19th Jan 2014, 12:40
Good stuff, you understand. :ok:
I know there are a lot of BS parks, I've visted many of them. Old foresty land that was added to the registry by the government of the day (both sides) to keep their election promises up. :hmm:

Lamington is different. When even dairy farmers (the O'Riellys) politicians (Lahey) and cattlemen (Collins) got together in the 19th century and said 'this place is pretty special', then you have to listen to them.

There are Antarctic Beech Trees in the park that have been growing since before Christ was alive. Some of them are 5000 years old.

IMO they are worth protecting, because once they are gone, we can't get them back. We can't apologise or conduct a revegitation program and pretend that we didn't do any damage. Once they're gone, they're gone and the whole world gets a little more bland, a little more monotonous... because something unique is gone, and for no good reason. :ugh:
Lamington National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington_National_Park)
http://tourism.atdw.com.au/multimedia/tq/9007657_1.jpg

500N
19th Jan 2014, 12:52
Very true indeed. Also good to see that you understand what i was getting at
with your comment "there are a lot of BS parks,".

Re Lamington, if it is so special, the problem I see sometimes
a radical method is needed to save something like this - ie burning
off all around it so that you have one huge area as a fire break.

The problem is, the Greenies won't allow it and then when we do
get that 1 in 100 year 5 year drought, one day the whole lot will
go up.

A bit like the Wollemi Pines stand in NSW, another dilemma.

airship
19th Jan 2014, 13:01
Worrals in the wilds wrote: Oxygen thieves...

Ahha, so you admit they were contributing in some infinitesimal way to the overall effort?! Reminder:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Fire_triangle.svg/200px-Fire_triangle.svg.png

Slouch hat, coat, door... :ok:

pigboat
19th Jan 2014, 13:45
Don't put the ignorant f:mad:s inside. Keep them outside on the front line, at the end of a fire hose.

TWT
19th Jan 2014, 13:57
Love Lamington.Have stayed at O'Reillys twice.Heaven on Earth.

gingernut
20th Jan 2014, 20:47
I never quite get the point of hacking the emergency services. After all, mostly they do a great job, and isn't there something deep inside that points to Karma ?

You can have as much, if not more fun with a "scan" function on a PMR radio.....great to hunt for the channel that the local bouncers use and ask them what training regime they use to maintain their figure. "Darts?"

T'was at a car boot sale whilst in Cornwall a couple of years ago, and picked up a "CB rig" for 3 quid. Rigged it up to the car battery with a couple of crock clips, made a dodgy antenna out of some screened cable, a "chock block" some old hoover wire (measuring the length of this is essential), attached it to a local bush with a well insulated clothes peg, and Bob's ya' uncle.

Had many a pleasant chat to some local farmers. Thing is, after being brought up on clinical inert faceboof/tw+tter etc etc, my kids and their mates love it, they couldn't believe how RAW it was. Apologies for the paperback, here's the set up...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSC_0072-1.jpg

500N
20th Jan 2014, 20:53
gingernut

Haven't used one of those for a while but have done the same to get things "going".

gingernut
20th Jan 2014, 21:04
bought a cheap mag mount and stuck it on me roof last year, and drove 320 miles South. Great fun, proper random."