PDA

View Full Version : A Bear in the air.

AtomKraft
18th Jan 2014, 17:56
Always been fascinated by the TU-20 aka TU-95 or TU-142 ASCC code name BEAR.

Anyways, they routinely beat up the city where I work now at low level. Nice to look at, but what a sound!

With the props reduced to 'cruise' the thing sounds like a cross between a giant, low flying helo, a monster turboprop, but with a sort of resonating flutter that threatens to make the lights flicker.

This afternoon I visited the home base of these utterly marvellous aeroplanes and watched a couple of approaches.

With the props up, the impression was of utter smoothness, grace and power. Utterly lovely.

What a machine. :ok:

Maybe we should get a few of these for our next MPA. They canny be any older than those old tankers we just bought!

AtomKraft
18th Jan 2014, 18:33
I've got them!

Will try and post them upon RTB.

A knicker moistening aviation experience to be sure! :)

air pig
18th Jan 2014, 19:01
I remember the first time I saw them at Fairford, thought I'd never see that in my lifetime unless GSFG had decided that they would like the Cotswolds in the summer. In the words of Dave Southwood the ETPS test pilot, who was stood off waiting to display in a hunter when the Bear swooped in one wing low 'Now follow that'. Words of the day.

Strange to see a B52 taxiing, then a Bear followed by an IL76 for departure day.

Windy Militant
18th Jan 2014, 20:12
Not sure if it was a leg pull but according to a bloke from Brawdy they used to track them with the submarine listening stations! :uhoh:

VP959
18th Jan 2014, 20:26
Not a leg pull at all. One advantage the Nimrod had at low level was that it was harder to detect on passive LF sonar. Bears at low level were reasonably detectable, ASW helos were enough to get the sonar ops guys taking their headsets off...........

The problem (from the perspective of the Bear or ASW helo crew) was that big props and rotors create a lot of low frequency noise, and low frequency noise propagates very well through water, even allowing for the impedance mismatch between air and water.