PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor

Dak Man
18th Jan 2014, 02:03
Just been to see it - wow, I'm still too wired to put my thoughts into any semblance of order.

Book also arrived today.

Dak Man
18th Jan 2014, 02:22
Lone Survivor - dramatisation of the book by Marcus Luttrell, SEAL Team 10 in Afghanistan in 2005 when their recce patrol was compromised and the ensuing chase and exfil story.

Luttrell actually appears in the movie in a cameo role - nice touch, Mark Wahlberg plays him.

It's a ground breaking movie in the same way that "Saving Private Ryan" brought the horrors and reality of war / combat.

It's a breathless, mesmerising, sad, thoughtful, no doubt embellished, heart stopping, chest thumping flag waving, edge of the seat, viewed through your fingers 2 hours.

Respect, don't think that I could ever watch it again though, once I think is enough.

Dak Man
18th Jan 2014, 03:52
Indeed, but not sexy enough for mainstream.

Dak Man
18th Jan 2014, 04:06
I am truly sorry to hear that Caco, I left a part of my soul in Angola, I fell in love with the people - such humility, very very humbling, but my sacrifice pales into insignificance.

MTOW
18th Jan 2014, 04:17
Read the book and couldn't help but feel he left some of the story untold.

PLovett
18th Jan 2014, 04:59
After reading this (http://onviolence.com/) I'm not sure that I want to see the film, or read some of the books written on the subject (not necessarily the one by Luttrell). It appears that Hollywood won against the truth, again.

West Coast
18th Jan 2014, 05:23
You wouldn't see a movie because someone has a differing opinion, interesting.

PLovett
18th Jan 2014, 05:56
Hardly opinion, West Coast. Read the link.

Dak Man
18th Jan 2014, 12:09
Interesting PLovett, having slept on it, it does have the "Bravo Two Zeros" about it.

Regardless of the perceived inconsistencies, these were / are brave men and to willfully look for fault is a little disingenuous in my honest opinion.

When we read a story or watch a movie we have to accept that embellishments & some literary license will inevitably be evident. The former relies on our imperfect memory and the latter is primarily an exercise in money making.

Luttrell is human and therefore, like the rest of us fallible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Jan 2014, 12:51
I won't be seeing it because of the lack of realism. Ultimately, not getting my box office money is the only language Hollywood understands when it comes to getting them to make more realistic films in future.

dead_pan
18th Jan 2014, 14:24
I tend to steer clear of anything with Mark Wahlberg in it - he's turned into a bit of muscle-bound meat-head. That said, he was pretty good in Shooter, although I don't think that was fact-based.

Just ordered In The Fog on DVD - much more my thing (I hope).

Dak Man
18th Jan 2014, 14:26
"Shooter" is based on a Stephen Hunter novel - "Point of Impact" a great yarn.

Fareastdriver
18th Jan 2014, 18:46
I thought that this was about the last Japanese soldier fighting for the Emperer who died lat week.

Lonewolf_50
21st Jan 2014, 13:41
A few points on the film. Saw it with the wife. It was her idea. (A bit of a surprise). It is intense, and it is meant to be.

1. At the end, that battle never happened. On that score, an operational point ... AC-130, daylight, firing into a "danger close" fight while there are a troop (or just under) of AH-64's providing rotary wing close air support, and with RoE being what they were in that part of the world in 2005 ... someone has no idea about airspace, nor about combined arms warfare. His name is Berg.

2. When you read up a bit on the history, and discover how Lutrell made it back to safety, it is disappointing to see how Berg chose to ignore the beauty of that narrative. He went for a cartoon. The real story is far more impressive, at the human level.

3. The early scenes of BUDS and how one drops out ring true. The hazing of the newbie in theater before the mission rings false. Seems like a cut and paste from a thousand other military movies where a newbie gets the red arse.

4. The "talk to the family over the internet" is real, and it is almost surreal. When I was at sea, back in the day, letters were precious. Getting a chance to call home was huge, when one pulled into port. When I deployed to the Centcom AOR, in a more modern age, it was mind boggling how that element of being deployed had changed the nature of deployment.

5. The hour long treatment of a firefight tried to replicate some of the scenes in Saving Private Ryan, I think, in terms of style. Berg seems to have pulled that off. No idea how close to what actually happened this rendering is.

6. How much of a bugger comms can be ... they got that mostly right.

7. One of the best lines in that whole film comes during mission planning scene. A couple of the enlisted SEALs take a look at the mission, after having been briefed by the officer in charge.
"A lot of moving parts."

As to the link ... But Lone Survivor (film) had more advisors than a medieval prince. Yet none of the SEALs on set pointed out these nuanced counter-insurgency lessons to Peter Berg.
Not quite. Berg, the director, made a wide variety of decision with his artistic license. To assume that nobody told him otherwise is to misunderstand what Hollywood directors do, and what sort of people they are. Many authors of books of fiction (and of fact) tear their hair out over what directors do with the story. Directors are gratuitously cavalier with the truth, with facts, and with input contrary to their own vision.

That aside, very much enjoyed the link and some of the points raised therein. Thanks for the link.

RJM
21st Jan 2014, 13:52
The link?

It seems to have disappeared. Post again, please...

Dak Man
21st Jan 2014, 13:55
here ya go cobber

On Violence (http://onviolence.com/)

Agree with LW50 in all regards.

SASless
21st Jan 2014, 14:49
It is a Hollywood Film....of course it is not realistic in all regards.

It does not claim to be a documentary....if it did...it would be a gross failure.

There are questions that should be raised about the whole Redwing Operation that seem to be pointedly ignored by everyone both in the Military and in Hollywood.

There were very bad decisions made before and during the Operation.

Policies, Regulations, Procedures, Practices....all worked to set these guys up for failure and ultimately being killed.

It is not a perfect world we live in....and in no way do I wish to appear to demean the Troops on the ground....or those who support them from the air....but I would hope we actually learn from what went wrong with this Operation and so many others that resulted in good brave men and women dying and being wounded.

I am not convinced that is what has happened.

That is why I am so unalterably opposed to keeping our forces in Afghanistan.....I want to see them all safely home as quickly as they can pack their bags and move out to the transport.

We have lost way too many lives and it is time to bring them home....this afternoon would be fine, Thank You!

brickhistory
21st Jan 2014, 15:19
Saw it with SWMBO.

Had to delay answering when she asked me what I thought of it.

Hollywood liberties aside, the end brought a lump to the throat.

RIP guys.

Dak Man
21st Jan 2014, 17:20
Slight thread drift - has Caco been ex-communicated - where have his posts disappeard to?

500N
21st Jan 2014, 17:22
Yes, he was banned and I have noticed a lot of his videos have been deleted.

Not sure if it is permanent.

Dak Man
21st Jan 2014, 17:27
Oh dear, hope it's not permanent, I shall miss his wit.

500N
21st Jan 2014, 17:32
Agree. Hope he is allowed back.

I think he posted one too many videos for some people's liking
as I was on the thread at the time and someone made a comment
and then, woosh, he was gone.

brickhistory
21st Jan 2014, 17:35
Death threats tend to make one disappear.

AMF.

Lonewolf_50
21st Jan 2014, 17:35
Won't be sorry to see the random insertions of song videos that have BFA to do with a topic has come to an end.

Am not happy that Caco is on the bench for a while. Video habit aside, I enjoy many of his contributions.

EDIT:
@brickhistory
Death threats tend to make one disappear.

:(
Bad news indeed.

500N
21st Jan 2014, 17:41
Lone

Agree.

I just by passed his videos when in a thread, putting it down to his style,
which I liked.

StressFree
21st Jan 2014, 17:47
Caco gone?

He may not to have been to everyone's taste but I liked him being here, all decent debates and chats need opinions from all sides.

Mods, let him back in please in the name of free speech.

dead_pan
21st Jan 2014, 19:55
Another one bites the dust. Soon we'll be into single-figure participation.