PDA

View Full Version : 2013 in review: famous and infamous quotes...

airship
17th Jan 2014, 15:09
NB. Please don't attempt to discuss "in-depth" any individual posts here (some will obviously better-belong in the "hamster-wheel" threads made available specifically elsewhere in JB)... :)

Here's my own contribution featuring US Secretary of State John Kerry concerning the use of chemical weapons in Syria in August 2013. It sprung to mind as my 1st choice perhaps because Sky News repeatedly use an excerpt in their "breaks" between reports. Also because what John Kerry says, and the way he says it comes across as mind-blowingly dim-witted, and wide-open to (mis)interpretations:

About 30 seconds into the video, you'll hear John Kerry say: ...the killing of women and children and innocent bystanders by chemical weapons, is a moral obscenity...:

John Kerry Syria Chemical Weapons FULL Speech. KERRY: SYRIA ATTACK 'A MORAL OBSCENITY' - YouTube

Would it be any less obscene if they were killed by another method? Take your pick: carpet-bombing using B-52s; one (or both) of the earliest atomic bombs to be used in anger; missiles fired from drones perhaps?

What may truly be considered obscene, is that Syria's dictator (if that regime was responsable) has gotten away with it all...?! :sad:

Hopefully, others will have other less morose examples to share here...?! :ok:

Tankertrashnav
17th Jan 2014, 15:14
^^^ belongs in US politics Hamsterwheel! Any chance of moving it, Mods?

Matari
17th Jan 2014, 15:21
Leave it! There needs to be at least three anti-US threads going at one time on the front page of JB. Otherwise, how would some pass the time? Feeding kitties? Model trains? Worrying about the Ukraine?

airship
17th Jan 2014, 15:42
Another one (not sure if it applies to either Tankertrashnav or Matari directly :E ), but I'm making an effort:

"Scientists say they have moved a step closer to banishing bald spots and reversing receding hairlines after human hair was grown in the laboratory", according to this BBC report. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24607696)

Seems to me that I've been reading about various "miraculous" reports about how "they've" found or are at least "this" close to finding a cure for baldness. For over 20 years now... :{

Lon More
17th Jan 2014, 18:02
hair today, gone tomorrow

con-pilot
17th Jan 2014, 23:22
"If you like your current insurance, you can keep it."

"If you like your current doctor, you can keep that doctor."

President Obama in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013..... :E

11Fan
17th Jan 2014, 23:33
http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Journalism/2013/01/23/untitled.png

"What difference does it make?"

SawMan
18th Jan 2014, 00:06
And the Seattle TV reporter who 'confirmed' the pilot's names inre the SF landing accident: News Station Reports Asiana Flight 214 Pilots Names: "Sum Ting Wong," "Ho Lee Fuk" - YouTube
"Sum Ting Wong"? Yes, and your average idiot would have known better than to broadcast this, but this was more than an average one (or should that be less than?)
Anyway, it's a landmark of some kind for the year :ugh:

visibility3miles
18th Jan 2014, 01:15
Sawman, that's hilarious.

What was their reaction when they noticed the joke?