PDA

View Full Version : Fukushima, how it is affecting air crews

Carbon Brakes 300
17th Jan 2014, 11:32
:mad::mad::mad::mad:I am so suprised nothing is mentioned here about the permanent radioactive dumping going on in Japan. Surely aircrews are concerned. It has spread both by sea and air, will continue to do so, and the devastating subject is ignored by mainstream media, like nothing has happened. Interesting to check out latest crew exposure registries...surely something has shown up by now and if not, the situation merits serious consideration.

W2k
17th Jan 2014, 12:17
Short answer: it's not. There is, however, a large amount of misinformation and fearmongering spread by activists which you would do best to ignore, as there is plenty of reliable, scientifically based information to go around.

Here are some nice videos from Discovery News. You will find a large number of other reference links in the description of the videos.

Fukushima Radiation: What You've Heard are LIES!

Stop Worrying About Fukushima Radiation! - YouTube

Mac the Knife
17th Jan 2014, 12:34
Sorry, just not correct - hysteria in fact.

For example (there are plenty more)

More Fukushima Scaremongering Debunked | Skeptoid (http://skeptoid.com/blog/2013/10/28/more-fukushima-scaremongering-debunked/)

Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste: Scientific American (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste)

But I think we can probably rely on you to be unmoved by the facts.

Mac

:mad:

Nemrytter
17th Jan 2014, 12:43
Sure this will get moved to jet blast (where it belongs) soon enough.

Perhaps it would interest you to know that the hourly radiation dose just outside the reactor building (i.e: In the middle of the hot zone) is lower than the radiation dose at aircraft cruising altitude.*

So you're actually getting less dosage standing next to Fukushima's reactor than you are sitting in your aircraft.
Food for thought :)

*Based on data published last week, I can't remember the link but it was also in several media outlets.

Carbon Brakes 300
17th Jan 2014, 13:25
I just have to differ with those in apparent denial. The less the governments say to us the public, the more I feel we have to be really concerned. For everybody is at stake.:ugh:

misd-agin
17th Jan 2014, 13:32
...since no one is talking about the risk it has to be more dangerous then they're admitting and they're just hiding it from us.

PTT
17th Jan 2014, 13:42
I just have to differ Based on what? Because it isn't science.
with those in apparent denialYou use denial as a pejorative term. It's not. It's called skeptcism and is the basis of rational thought.
The less the governments say to us the public, the more I feel we have to be really concerned.Be honest, there's nothing they could say to you which would make you believe that the threat is lower than your tinfoil-wrapped mind has enhanced it to be. The only thing which would make you happy is if they were to confirm what you already believe, whether it's true or false. You're not interested in truth but in validation.

The fact is that you get a far lower exposure (about 1/3rd) to a full day within 50km of Fukashima than you get from a single CT scan, and a 10th of that you get from one year of smoking.
http://thewhyaxis.info/content/04-fukushima/triangle.jpg

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Jan 2014, 14:18
There's definitely a problem. The mind control rays are getting through the tinfoil hat again....

Rossian
17th Jan 2014, 15:00
.....If it is deemed top be crap on whatever forum it WAS on - get rid of it!

The condescension implicit in his post"....to Jetblast,where it belongs" is really not acceptable.

Can the jetblast Mods not kick it straight back to its origins to be binned?
Can the jetblast mods just get rid of it.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, that in comparison with some other forums in Pprune, jetblast is a haven of intelligence, insight and (usually) good manners.

The Ancient Mariner

Nemrytter
17th Jan 2014, 15:05
The condescension implicit in his post"....to Jetblast,where it belongs" is really not acceptable.I believe that R&N should be saved for topics that are important to those involved in aviation.
Radiation from Fukushima is not important, so why the heck should it be in R&N?

(edit) Although I agree that (aside from a few specific posters) jetblast is actually the best part of this site.:ok:

The less the governments say to us the public, the more I feel we have to be really concerned. To my knowledge the government has absolutely nothing to say about the effects of eating a banana whilst riding a bike and wearing a top hat. Should I be worried that there is some governmental silence conspiracy relating to this?:suspect:

The SSK
17th Jan 2014, 15:27
To my knowledge the government has absolutely nothing to say about the effects of eating a banana whilst riding a bike and wearing a top hat. Should I be worried that there is some governmental silence conspiracy relating to this?

You are obviously unfamiliar with Commission Directive 2002/23/EC of 26 February 2002 amending the Annexes to Council Directives 86/362/EEC, 86/363/EEC and 90/642/EEC as regards permissible activities on bicycles while in motion, and prescribed protective headgear in pursuance of those activities.

Rossian
17th Jan 2014, 15:45
..."R&N should be used etc etc......." Agreed - but we all know that it isn't.

Next question - Who actually does the moving? A Mod?

If it's deemed to be crap, dump it. Don't pollute Jetblast.

The Ancient Mariner

421dog
17th Jan 2014, 15:55
God forbid we should use data to drive the discussion....

The Japanese incident resulted in exactly zero deaths.

They did a heck of a job dealing with a situation which could have been a lot worse, but they realized that the greater good was to the public who benefited from the nuclear power that only failed as the result of a perfect storm. Remember, nobody died.

con-pilot
17th Jan 2014, 16:12
I thought that folks from Chemtrails did not come back here anymore.

Guess I was wrong. :p

Nervous SLF
18th Jan 2014, 01:24
No more dangerous than depleted uranium ammunition which as we all know is 100% safe - the Govt. has told us this
so it must be true? :suspect:

The Japanese know it isn't a problem anymore so that all the people evacuated have been allowed back onto their land
and are also eating food produced in the area again............( yeah rite )

Nervous SLF
18th Jan 2014, 01:55
Caco at times I must be a moron because SWMBO tells me that I am :{

visibility3miles
18th Jan 2014, 04:15
Surely there ought to be more concern for the poor people on the ground
who were trashed by a HUGE tsunami. What was the final estimated death toll? How many homes were completely destroyed?

Far fewer people live there anymore, and it's not entirely from fear of radiation sickness.

Although yes, if they had the emergency power generators on the roof and not the basement, and if they built the protective walls a few feet higher it would have been a completely different story for the reactors.

rh200
18th Jan 2014, 04:18
The less the governments say to us the public, the more I feel we have to be really concerned.

Actually the more they tell me the more I am concerned. It usually mean there trying to turn attention from something else:p

radeng
18th Jan 2014, 10:46
BBC reporter on R4 this morning. He spent a day in the plant with a dosimeter and recorded less on it than flying Tokyo to Bangkok.

When the Windscale fire happened in the 50's, thousands of gallons of milk were poured away because of radioactive iodine contamination. Several scientists pointed out that making the milk into cheese would have meant that by the time the cheese matured, the iodine would have gone through several half lives and the cheese would be safe to eat......But no, not acceptable.

Nemrytter
18th Jan 2014, 15:18
BBC reporter on R4 this morning. He spent a day in the plant with a dosimeter and recorded less on it than flying Tokyo to Bangkok.Obviously nicked my idea, the cheeky sod!