PDA

View Full Version : FIRST WORLD WAR RFC/AFC PHOTOGRAPHER

Fantome
17th Jan 2014, 09:54
A large collection of original photos of British, French and captured German aircraft has come my way. The photographer's name was Moulder. He was based at Cologne 1918-1919, where there was a substantial aircraft repair depot.
The prints are 8x10 inch, many of the same aircraft from different angles. Also cockpit ones. They are all of high quality, perhaps from half plate negs.

They came to me via a friend of his widow, who lived in Double Bay, Sydney, in the 1950s and '60s. She was Jean Moulder, living for a long time in Bellevue Hill Road. Her husband's given name may have been Frank or James. He was probably at least a lieutenant in either the RFC or the AFC. He was either an Australian or migrated to Australia after the First World War.

As there are a number of photos of men with large reconnaissance cameras pictured with their aircraft, so it may be that Moulder was involved with reconnaissance. There are a dozen verticals from such cameras of places
in northern France and Germany. They are the only ones with any notation.
The photos of the aircraft give only aircraft type, no other info.

Attempts to find Moulder in the national archive at Kew, and elsewhere, have drawn a blank. Obviously the search will be easier when I have his full name. This may come to light soon.

401167H
18th Jan 2014, 22:48
this came up with a quick search - unless you have already looked at this record, might be your man - worth a look, perhaps?

Name: Frank James Moulder. | The National Archives (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C12113763)

Name: Frank James Moulder. (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C12113763)

Air Ministry: Air Member for Personnel and predecessors: Airmen's Records. Name: Frank James Moulder.

Collection: Records created or inherited by the Air Ministry, the Royal Air Force, and related bodies
Date range:1918 - 1928
Reference:AIR 79/1208/134822
Subjects:Armed Forces (General) | Air Force

good luck with your search

Fantome
19th Jan 2014, 21:13
Many thanks matey . Have ordered from the digitalised records.