PDA

View Full Version : selfies

probes
17th Jan 2014, 08:17
This lack of knowledge about what we look like has a profound effect on what we think we look like. When people are asked to pick a photograph which they think looks most like them - from a series of photographs in which an actual photograph has been digitally altered to produce more attractive and less attractive versions - people are very bad at selecting the original photograph.
Given that we have a poor representation of what we look like, this is perhaps unsurprising. What is surprising is that people systematically choose images that have been digitally altered to make the person appear more attractive.
In other words, we have an image of ourselves that tends to be younger and more attractive than we actually are.
This might in part explain our obsession with selfies. For the first time we are able to take and retake pictures of ourselves until we can produce an image that come closer to matching our perception of what we think we look like.

BBC News - The science behind why we take selfies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25763704)
if one does not take selfies, does it indicate they're afraid of what they actually might look like? :sad: :ouch:

Alloa Akbar
17th Jan 2014, 08:21
I am self confessed selfie-phobic.. I am scared witless of pics of myself for fear of confirmation of how ugly and old I actually am.. I am more comfortable floating on that Egyptian river.. Denial! :O

rmcb
17th Jan 2014, 08:26
I agree with AA - the problem with selfies is those who indulge are not so self aware and inflict their ugly visages on those of us who could care less about their vapid existence.

Takan Inchovit
17th Jan 2014, 08:44
Someone decided to take a selfie with some poor bugga on the bridge behind attempting to suicide. :rolleyes: Who cares what you look like, hey? But whats the difference between a reporter standing with their back to a tragic scene while a running commentary is issued.

http://http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/12/05/1226775/640175-.jpg

Woman snaps the most selfish selfie ever | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/woman-snaps-the-most-selfish-selfie-ever/story-fn6vihic-1226775641875)

tony draper
17th Jan 2014, 08:45
Anybody who shaves in the morning must be well aware of what they look like,it's the voice that gets most,first time you hear a recording of your own voice the usual response is with "That's not me is it,I dont sound like that":uhoh:

The SSK
17th Jan 2014, 08:53
I have a theory ...
That we are so used to seeing iurselves in mirror image that we instinctively don't quite recognise ourselves in photographs, where left is left and right is right. So other people say 'that's a good photograph of you' and you say 'no it's not'.

The biggest assymetry (in men at least) is usually the hair - parting to one side etc. Invariably I think my hair 'doesn't look right' in photos.

tony draper
17th Jan 2014, 09:04
If left and right are reversed in a mirror why isn't up and down similarly reversed?answer me that!
Would frinstance up and down be reversed if our eyes were one above the other rather than side by side.
I suppose I could ask someone from Sunderland.
:rolleyes:

dubbleyew eight
17th Jan 2014, 09:04
probes is this really a "please send me a camera" request.

I could send you one but it only takes nudes. :E:E:E

500N
17th Jan 2014, 09:18
Not a fan of selfies because I think they take the most awful photos of any
I have ever seen of people.

I do like it when someone takes a selfie when someone is off to one side
who could have taken a much better photo :rolleyes:

ricardian
17th Jan 2014, 09:26
Tony Draper asked If left and right are reversed in a mirror why isn't up and down similarly reversed?answer me that!

All is explained here (http://web.archive.org/web/20100206121909/http://www.d7s.com/mirror.htm)

dubbleyew eight
17th Jan 2014, 09:35
there is one place I will tell you where a selfie is absolutely priceless.
when I take someone flying I borrow their camera, hold it out on the glareshield/instrument coaming and take a shot of the two of us in the aircraft while flying.
great mood shots with scenery in the background.

I'd find one and post it but then you'd know how ugly I was :E

500N
17th Jan 2014, 09:41
W8

That's different, you are actually doing something.

Most selfies are just people looking into a camera with the head
at a weird angle !!!

About the only time I take a "selfie" is hunting when I have no one else
to take a photo of me and whatever animal I have. And even then I hardly
bother.

The SSK
17th Jan 2014, 10:02
All is explained here

Well, that was as clear as mud.

Exascot
17th Jan 2014, 10:08
For some bizzare reason many of our clients want to take our photograph. I hate it. I explain to them that they can't afford it and it takes your spirit away. :eek: Then they try to take one without you knowing.

Worrals in the wilds
17th Jan 2014, 10:19
I like the SASR principle; never give an interview and never be photographed. :suspect::}

arcniz
17th Jan 2014, 10:21
I have a theory ...
That we are so used to seeing iurselves in mirror image that we instinctively don't quite recognise ourselves in photographs, where left is left and right is right. So other people say 'that's a good photograph of you' and you say 'no it's not'.

One finds that for planning maintenance on buildings, forestland, etc., photographs reviewed after a walk-by often reveal details and thoughts about what needs doing that are strikingly different from deliberate observations of the moment. Quite a surprise, really. Do not fully understand why. Some details stand out more clearly in photos than in direct viewing. Does not seem to be a problem or difference of vision so much as one of the conceptual frame for reference.

Worrals in the wilds
17th Jan 2014, 10:25
Same with CCTV. Witnesses will swear black and blue that X happened, although camera footage reveals that it didn't. People don't remember stuff as accurately or objectively as they like to think they do; there are a number of studies on the so called eye-witness effect. :8

tony draper
17th Jan 2014, 10:26
As the family photographer there are very few photos of me among the hundreds taken over the decades, being on the wrong side of the lens.:(

PTT
17th Jan 2014, 10:28
If left and right are reversed in a mirror why isn't up and down similarly reversed?answer me that!It doesn't, it reverses back and front i.e. your back is further from the mirror in both the image and reality images than your front is (and if you were to "walk through" the mirror your back would now be closer in both image and reality). This has the effect of appearing to reverse left and right when we mentally rotate the image through the vertical axis by 180° in order to give it a left and right with reference to the image's front, which has been reversed.

Checkboard
17th Jan 2014, 10:53
Someone decided to take a selfie with some poor bugga on the bridge behind attempting to suicide. Who cares what you look like, hey? But whats the difference between a reporter standing with their back to a tragic scene while a running commentary is issued.

Woman snaps the most selfish selfie ever | News.com.au

http://prod.static9.net.au/~/media/images/2013/december/5/0512_selfie_sp.ashx?h=360&w=640

Note that this is not a selfie. This is a reporter taking a (perfectly focused, posed?) picture of a woman taking a selfie - and from her phone's angle may not even include the jumper being rescued.

This is a case of a newspaper attacking a woman in the most public manner and besmirching her reputation over the world without even knowing her name, much less asking her thoughts or representing her side of it! :mad:
“it is excellent To have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous To use it like a giant” [Shakespeare, Measure for Measure.]

probes
17th Jan 2014, 12:28
when we mentally rotate the image
when something is aching 'inside' I have to mentally rotate my body behind the biology poster our teacher used for anatomy classes - then mentally look at the poster and myself behind it and then I know what it might be that's hurting.

I've watched some next-top-model things, it's really interesting to see the process of the photo shoots and the outcome and how they discuss it (even though they're after a very specific result). How little things you'd never think about can make a whole lot of difference on a photo.

arcniz
17th Jan 2014, 19:35
People don't remember stuff as accurately or objectively as they like to think they do; there are a number of studies on the so called eye-witness effect.

This has the effect of appearing to reverse left and right when we mentally rotate the image through the vertical axis by 180° in order to give it a left and right with reference to the image's front, which has been reversed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Mirror.globe.arp.500pix.jpg/423px-Mirror.globe.arp.500pix.jpg

Interesting comments!

Mind seems most or all a matter of ions, in the end: vis-ions, imaginat-ions, ratiocinat-ions, reflect-ions, etc.

The process of mind seems to continuously create and evolve virtual surfaces - a new version one or two dozen times per second - that form memes, spaces, and images, mapped into multidimensional time-sequence arrays and overlays of perception, conceptualization, creative thought and historical recall, which collectively at any moment represent the current latest and best projections of our understandings and our net "take" on "reality".

As result, our understanding of reality is always a story, a convenient fiction in the sense that we perceive flashes of what seems to be a steady, integrated, flow of personally meaningful information, when the true process is more nearly constant chaos, noise, and confusion of the chemical-electrical soup in our semi-randomly-assembled and capriciously-operated thinking mechanisms that most plausibly come direct from the experimental plumbing of precocious protozoans, using restless elemental energy bits and lumps seeking the impossible equilibrium of simple nothingness that might equate to perfect entropy.

:)

Pelikal
17th Jan 2014, 20:35
arcniz - thanks for the summary, I feel so much better now. :)

arcniz
17th Jan 2014, 20:55
Pelikal says:

arcniz - thanks for the summary, I feel so much better now

One detects a note of regretful irony in your remarking. Fair dinkum, I guess, but please be advised certainly that neither consolation nor existential despair were intended purposes of my observation above, which to the best degree possible (for me) at the moment concisely crystallizes some 50 years hard thinking about this difficult topic.

Just trying to find the loo, as it were. Might be down this hall, here.

I really feel a great pressing need to get to the next level of this matter, in the limited time still available.

tony draper
17th Jan 2014, 21:30
The old tube CCTV camera you could reverse the scan and if you stood in front of the monitor with the camera pointing at you when you raised say your left arm your image appeared to move the opposite arm,most disconcerting,many a laugh was had with this,until the time I forgot replaced the camera on a very tall pole at the security off with the use of a cherry picker,sent said cherry picker home, entered the security office and note all the vehicle registration numbers entering the site were back to front,:uhoh:
The thing is it was very difficult to spot until something with writing appeared in front of said camera
One felt a bit of a whelk
:(

Pelikal
17th Jan 2014, 21:32
arcniz, hope you found the loo ok. Just recounted something, I used to stare at myself in a mirror to the point where my reflection disappeared. Not sure what happened there.

Fliegenmong
17th Jan 2014, 21:37
Mrs Fliegen and I were doing selfies long before they became 'fashionable'.....but only when we were both utterly Brahms & Liszt, and none ever turn out well! :\

probes
18th Jan 2014, 07:10
arcniz - thanks for the summary, I feel so much better now. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

well, but someone has to bring us the pure pleasure of form and expression, right? :cool:

Sunnyjohn
18th Jan 2014, 12:32
Sometimes it's better not to know.

There was a young lass took a selfie
And said 'I don't look very helfie'
So she climbed on the ridge
And jumped from the bridge
Now hear the bell toll from the belfrie

ShyTorque
18th Jan 2014, 12:44
My teenager daughter has been taking the Mickey out of me recently ever since I let slip I thought a selfie was the all in one furry leopard suit she got for Christmas.....:O

Old age creeping up I think :(

handsfree
18th Jan 2014, 13:53
What I don't understand is that the selfies that appear of some fifth rate slapper in the DM and headlined as "Shardanhay Slapper posts selfie of bikini body to wind up Ex" invariably has her hand with the camera supposedly taking the pic in the photo.

Tankertrashnav
18th Jan 2014, 17:19
I am scared witless of pics of myself for fear of confirmation of how ugly and old I actually am.

AA - perhaps like me you are followed around by someone who looks a bit like you, but is older, fatter, balder and generally uglier?

I have such a doppelganger, but I only ever see his reflection in shop windows, on shop CCTVs etc - I can never actually catch him to ask him who the hell he is and why he's always following me around :*

Windy Militant
18th Jan 2014, 17:43
My teenager daughter has been taking the Mickey out of me recently ever since I let slip I thought a selfie was the all in one furry leopard suit she got for Christmas.....

When I first heard this I thought they said "Shelfo" which was local slang for something rather rude back home in Wales.
My initial thought was if this was the new craze amongst school kids no wonder there are so many teenage pregnancies. :O

Pelikal
19th Jan 2014, 03:09
Lovely little fella discovers Selfie.
monkey wanking - YouTube
In the interest of Zoology of course.:O

gingernut
23rd Jan 2014, 07:09
I stumbled across this... Selfies Might Just Be The New Definition Of Sexy - Stunnish.com (http://www.stunnish.com/selfies-might-just-new-definition-sexy/)

Loose rivets
23rd Jan 2014, 08:10
The best photo of me ever is an old shot taken at arm's length when I'd just got my Yashica back from Malta. I supposed that was an early Selfie. It was in the days when my skin fitted. :{

probes
23rd Jan 2014, 09:13
and now it's loose? :)

Time for visual proof, I guess? :E

chksix
23rd Jan 2014, 12:32
A friend recommended thechive.com for sweet selfies. :O