PDA

View Full Version : Books - Secondhand shop

racedo
15th Jan 2014, 14:31
Bookshop owner shocked when customers descend on store after posting dwindling profits on FACEBOOK | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2539862/Struggling-second-hand-bookshop-owner-shocked-dozens-customers-descend-store-posting-dwindling-profits-FACEBOOK.html)

Following on from Posessions thread where a heathen who will burn in hell chucked out some books.................You know who you are :E and so do we :)

This is about a second hand bookseller who struggles to survive.
Saltaire Bookshop, Saltaire, Shipley (http://www.saltairebookshop.com/) ..................sells with the South American River company as well.

RJM
15th Jan 2014, 17:42
Unfortunately, I think that such bookshops are still looking down the barrel.

Fewer people are buying physical books.

Years ago, when students set themselves up out of home, bookcases were a valued item. Many made do with bricks and boards.

A few months ago, I inherited a large collection of law reports from a solicitor's office. Not only were the century or so of bound law reports worthless except as wallpaper, the freestanding varnished mahogany bookcases they were in proved impossible to sell or even give away. No-one wants bookcases because, it seems, those with books have bookcases and are not adding to their collection, and few people are starting new collections.

After much frustrating advertising, I sold the bookcases to a woodwork teacher who said he could use the timber.

The replacement value of the timber alone, by the way, was around A$2,000. But as bookcases, the value was minimal.

I tried to sell the law reports, too. They run from around 1860 to 1985, and include English and Australian reports. The local book dealer advised that he would have to charge me more for coming out to appraise the books than they were worth.

I like books - I have a large library myself - but in my business I visit many homes, and I am seeing more and more houses with barely a book in them.

I wonder if Tim Berners-Lee realised that by setting up the internet, he had doomed booksellers, and probably in the longer term, the publishing of physical books?

The internet has certainly done for physical encyclopaedias and any other publications where updates are crucial - everything from legislation to sales material is now published only on the net. If you want a hard copy, you download and print it yourself. But in most cases, there's no need. It's there on your tablet, along with the newspaper, and the novel you're reading.

If I were that bookseller, I'd keep looking for a job. Perhaps after writing and publishing on the net the story of the demise of the local bookshop.

Tankertrashnav
15th Jan 2014, 20:38
My brother, a joiner/cabinet maker was in the middle of making a tall mahogany display cabinet when he contracted mesothelioma and subsequently died.

I inherited it and have just paid a cabinet maker £300 to finish it off to a high standard, converting the cabinet into two free standing mahogany bookcases, which I will rapidly fill from the overspill from my shelves.

I really dont care that in commercial terms what I have done is crazy - it's given me a good feeling to rescue a really good piece of furniture which bears no resemblance whatsoever to the products of a well-known Swedish company and to know that God willing they will be giving someone else pleasure in 100 years time

One of my sons has already put a metaphorical sticker on the pair for when his parents shuffle off, so they should be around for a while!

racedo
15th Jan 2014, 21:10
I wonder if Tim Berners-Lee realised that by setting up the internet, he had doomed booksellers, and probably in the longer term, the publishing of physical books?

Think HG Wells Time Travel..........books in the future, nobody reads.

Our littlies who we have never let up in make them read everything that school requested and fill in readings records.

Littlies got quite a lot (8-9) books for Birthday and Christmas.............eldest keeps complaining that they are all finished and needs more, younger one is following on from this and we encouraging it. Yup some may be the Un PC Enid Blyton but :mad: it, they good enough for Dad so good enough for littlies.

Figure even now we don't need to worry about them reading but reckon we will keep this up for another year or two just to be sure.

Don't have Kindle nor will have as want the physial book, makes me a luddite but don't care.

I reckon there is a future for bookstores but they need to be offering something different.

meadowrun
15th Jan 2014, 21:12
Agree about the demise of books. But lots and lots of old ones around going around and around.

Good bookcases with glass doors are just fine for other collections. Wish I had a couple instead of the Swedish store versions.

RJM
15th Jan 2014, 21:30
TTN, I certainly didn't mean to demean your inheritance. The solicitor's bookcases I had were of plain 9 inch x 3/4 in boards with thicker uprights at the sides. Nothing fancy about them.

I'm trying to keep muy young relatives supplied with books too. :ok:

Tankertrashnav
15th Jan 2014, 22:32
Absolutely no offence taken RJM :ok:

500N
15th Jan 2014, 22:37
Book cases have now become DVD cases.

G-CPTN
15th Jan 2014, 22:53
The nearby town has a proliferation of charity shops with copious stocks of books - many in excellent (unread?) condition.

On receipt they price these books at nominal heavily discounted prices, but such is the volume of their receipts of yet more books, they downgrade the prices after a nominal period on the shelves until they finally end up at 10p per book - I bought a couple of carrier bags full (as much as I could carry) for distribution at Christmas as extras for entertainment.

Meanwhile the Poundshop has stocks of remaindered books (including such things as the National Geographic Yearbook of 2013).

Pinky the pilot
15th Jan 2014, 23:06
I regularly 'raid' a few charity shops that have a book section and, like G-CPTN, often see books which are in excellent condition. Managed to obtain quite a few like that.:ok:

And I never sell them! No idea how many I have but would have to be in the hundreds.

rjtjrt
15th Jan 2014, 23:22
I must be crazy then, as I keep buying secondhand books, and always need more bookcases.
Seems my time has come with secondhand books and bookcases in ample supply.

ExSp33db1rd
15th Jan 2014, 23:59
Just bought a new, relatively simple I mistakenly thought, digital camera and only because the previous one died, I'm not the sort of person who needs to "upgrade" because some Yuppie designer needs me to swell his retirement fund, and in fact I rejected the latest in the range I had selected because Canon have gone back to the fixed viewing screen, and taken the optical viewfinder away again, so you can't A) squint through without reference to the back, or B) hold the camera above your head and twist the rear screen down to look at, so I searched around until I found an "old" one ( i.e. a 2012 model ) still on a retailers shelves - cheaper, too !!

Back to the thread .......... this came without an instruction manual, so of course I downloaded a free .pdf copy, some 114 pages, but I hate trying to flip back and forth on a computer or digital "reader" so went to that well known auction site and sourced a real one for $10.

Happiness is being curled up in an easy chair, flipping back and forth easily through the pages, even if reading a novel - 'cos at my tender age, one does "forget" where certain characters fit into the plot.

Give me books over Yuppie gadgets anytime.

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Jan 2014, 03:56
Could do with a couple more bookcases here. Problem is there's nowhere to put them. All my existing ones are full to overflowing, desk and bedside table stacked high with books, piles in odd corners and boxes of books are stored in the garage. Can't bear to part with them.

Too many scars from lending books to people in the past and never getting them back. The spittle flecked response these days means people no longer ask to borrow books from me.

probes
16th Jan 2014, 05:13
:{ - and I'm just looking for a couple of good bookcases to relocate my Father's books, some of them... As our own are full.
Actually that's something I've been wondering about. I've got my Granny's photo albums - and can identify a fraction of people there, but it seems a crime to throw away something so old that has made it to this day. My albums freeze in time, about 10 years ago. Since then it's virtual - meaning nothing to "burden" my daughter's bookshelves? Maybe it's right that when you go, everything goes to the virtual reality, too?

P.S as for the tablet-kids... I still think one needs a book or two from childhood, the ragged favorites. Like Winnie the Pooh or Tjorven-stories or Pan Kleks from his famous academy, or Pippi Longstocking or Sítio do Picapau Amarelo (hard to translate the heading) or Mowgli or...

Blacksheep
16th Jan 2014, 08:16
Bookcases are like zoos for animals - a place for imprisoning books and putting them on display. Books should be set free to roam the lounge and bedroom. Most of mine have lost their spine, so the only way to find out what's in them is to pick them up and start reading. :ok:

I must confess to having a Kindle and keeping the text of many books in there, but that's so I can pop them in my pocket to read in waiting rooms or sitting on the floor at the shopping mall. [why don't malls have seats for poor abandoned husband-chauffeurs?]. The paper versions are all in the flat, somewhere.

Tankertrashnav
16th Jan 2014, 08:26
why don't malls have seats for poor abandoned husband-chauffeurs?

Our local M & S has a little row of comfy seats near the door which are invariably occupied by gentlemen of a certain age who wait patiently while their wives are in the shop giving the credit card an outing.

RJM
16th Jan 2014, 08:39
or, a 'clouting'.

No comfy benches... But there's usually a bar. Easy excuse (for those who aren't the undisputed master): 'There were no benches! See for yourself...'

ExXB
16th Jan 2014, 11:41
A paperback, in English, at the local bookstore will cost you CHF15-25. A 'latest' edition hardback 35-50.

Same can be had in e-version on Amazon (.com because .co.uk won't sell to non-Brits) at $5-10 or $20-29. Amazon also stores my e-books foc.

It's not rocket science.

Edited to add: Books are imported free of duty and a 8% VAT is added at POS. Books should be cheaper than in the UK for this reason alone, but they are just being greedy.

Blacksheep
16th Jan 2014, 13:00
There are benches in our local "Associated Dairies" establishment but there are none in any Shopping Mall that I am aware of. There was a Dad's lounge in the vast complex in Gateshead but I haven't been there in years.

defizr
16th Jan 2014, 14:22
I was in our local Waterstones (a big multi-branch bookshop in the UK) and a customers was enquiring about a book. They didn't have it in stock but said they could get it in a couple of weeks. I bet if she looked on Amazon she could have it by Saturday.

goudie
16th Jan 2014, 19:24
Blacksheep, some years ago now, but JL in WGC had an excellent book department for abandoned husbands.

We have an excellent bookshop in my town but I rarely visit it.
I too have opted for a Kindle and must say it's an excellent bit of kit.
I've been a member of my local library for over thirty years but rarely use it now. I feel guilty whenever I pass by it.

fitliker
16th Jan 2014, 19:53
If you want quality books ,try the Folio society. All the classics in beautiful well made books.
They make excellent gifts for quality friends. PS it will be my birthday soon.

radeng
16th Jan 2014, 19:56
I've just renewed my library membership, now I'm not out of the country most of the time. We need more bookcases, but haven't the room for them. Mrs Radeng's catalogued library list of our books has some 3700 fiction and 1800 non fiction. A quick look round the dining room book cases show a replacement value for 2% of the volumes on Abe books of £3000+, and an exact audit would shove that much higher...

I even wonder if some of the chemistry books from the early 1900s are strictly legal in terms of 'having information likely to be of use to terrorists', although they would have a problem in making such a charge stick, I think.

Of course, we don't have a TV...... something that amazes every cleaner we've ever had.

Tankertrashnav
16th Jan 2014, 23:30
Of course we in the UK are conspiring in the situation where Amazon pay minimum taxes here by some jiggery pokery which is nevertheless legal, whereas the poor sod trying to run a bookshop has no such "fiddles" available to him and is paying vastly more in overheads as a proportion of his turnover than Amazon. I hold my hand up to buying stuff from Amazon from time to time, but still try and use "real" retailers where possible.

Metro man
17th Jan 2014, 02:20
On my IPad with either the Ibooks or Kindle app I have access to the worlds biggest bookshops. I can read samples of a book I'm interested in, and if I like it I can download it at 11.00pm without getting out of bed.

I can carry around hundreds of books which never get lost or damaged, they take up no space at home. I have instant access to my collection through the cloud, as long as I have an internet collection.

Soon a bookshop will be as rare as a shop selling LPs.

A A Gruntpuddock
17th Jan 2014, 02:42
If you don't mind buying used items, I find Alibris to be a good source of cheap books.

The worldofbooks site is another good source and I have bought a few from Amazon for not much more than the cost of postage.

At these prices you can donate them to charity or just recycle them when read.

Super VC-10
17th Jan 2014, 06:01
I don't have any e-books. I doubt the titles I'm interested in are available onyway. Had the "we can probably get it from you" spiel recently from Waterstones, but the wanted payment up front. I said I'd pay when they'd got it and they refused to order it in. Told them I'd take my money to a proper bookshop"

For those looking for traditional second hand bookshops I'd recommend the one at Farningham, Kent. There's two in Tunbridge Wells (in the Pantiles and also Pantiles end of the High Street) and also one at Heathfield, East Sussex - all UK.

defizr
18th Jan 2014, 09:55
Abebooks is another good website for both new and used books.

radeng
18th Jan 2014, 10:05
defizr,

I second that advice.

I'm not sure that many professional textbooks will appear on kindle, and I am certain that having a kindle version of the 1936 edition of F. E. Terman's 'Radio Engineering' is unlikely! Yet it has some stuff in there that the later editions don't....