PDA

View Full Version : Use of wireless hub on Emirates flight

geoff1248
15th Jan 2014, 09:41
I have a Kingston Mobilite wireless hub. If I plug a portable hard drive in up to 3 of us can access the drive at the same time. In effect we can all watch different films at the same time if the airlines choice doesn't suit. So I can use my iPad while others can use Android tablets for watching.
The Mobilite transmits a limited range wireless signal which users log into. Now my question is can I use this device while airborne? I did contact Emirates who had no idea what I was talking about.

Mike-Bracknell
15th Jan 2014, 09:57
I have a Kingston Mobilite wireless hub. If I plug a portable hard drive in up to 3 of us can access the drive at the same time. In effect we can all watch different films at the same time if the airlines choice doesn't suit. So I can use my iPad while others can use Android tablets for watching.
The Mobilite transmits a limited range wireless signal which users log into. Now my question is can I use this device while airborne? I did contact Emirates who had no idea what I was talking about.

Wifi transmits on one or more of 14 separate 'channels'. Assuming your onboard wifi from Emirates transmits on one or more of these, then you'll be safe to be on that channel from a regulatory point of view, but if Emirates/Airbus etc have gone the whole hog of testing wifi then they would have theoretically tested all 14 channels (this can be ascertained by the use of InSSIDer if necessary) as they are likely to have many wifi APs dotted around the airliner with different channels in order to serve as many people as possible.

Hence, in a nutshell I think you're fine. However this isn't a definitive statement just an opinion based on the known facts. :) (don't sue me)