PDA

View Full Version : make a mistake....YOUR OUT

mjkukin2
4th Feb 2002, 04:24
I dont really know why i am bringing this up but then again i see it as a good question too ask. now i have just read 2 threads on news and one was of todays delta plane going off the runway at DUB on landing and the other from last year where a flight diverted to azores on emergency landing.

now on both of these some people have said the crew will get penalised in some sort of form or another for the incident. now what i dont understand for eg with the delta airlines how can it be the crews fault if they did everything in there power to land and landed safely to be blamed.

i mean was it there fault the weather conditions were bad..or can the company have you flung out for this...whats the poiciies of airlines with this sort of thing anyone have any views/opinions..stories to tell????

i am new to this, so appreciate some feedback.

ps the worse one i just read is someone said a crew got sacked for blowing out some of the runway lights on landing but were reinstated a few hours later.....hmmmm????

redsnail
4th Feb 2002, 08:56
All incidents/abnormal operations are internally investigated. In most cases the crew are stood down from flying duties (on full pay) until the matter is either checked out or it is very obvious that it was not the crew's fault in any way.. .If it wasn't the crew's fault they are reinstated and nothing noted on their file.. .If however, they contributed in any way to the incident or mishandled the abnormal then the fun begins. You will be interviewed by someone from the training dept and or the safety officer. (best to have a union rep with you at this interview) The training department will decide if any further retraining is required. eg, CRM break down, SOPs failure and so on. After the retraining has taken place and you satisfactorily complete it you are reinstated back on the line. If not, your employment is now in jeopardy. At this point you can be dismissed or you will become a permanent SO/FO or shift down a type if available.. .The abnormal/incident is recorded on your file.. .If you have 2 such incidents etc too close together you are put on "review". If you make an error again your employ will be terminated. The employer must inform you in writing that you are on review.. .Therefore it is a very good idea to belong to the workplace union for your protection. They can protect you from vindictive people and prevent "verbals". (Yes, it does happen). If you don't agree with a union make sure you have some sort of legal representation.