PDA

View Full Version : Gmail question.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Jan 2014, 03:58
I use Gmail for a secondary e-mail address, mainly for a group of ex-colleagues to chew the fat.

Gmail arranges incoming e-mails on a continuing topic into "strings", and after 2 or 3 back and forth answers one can only see the name of the original writer, and the last e-mail added to that string, all the ones in between are just lines, which of course one can click on to read.

Today I wanted to send a whole string, i.e. all the e-mails, answers, and comments, from 4 or 5 contributors, to someone else who had no access to my Gmail account, but I found that I could only "forward" any one of the e-mails at a time, not the whole lot as a single, new, e-mail.

How can I "forward" all the e-mails in a "string" to a 3rd party ?

Loose rivets
13th Jan 2014, 04:03
Interesting. I suppose sending the first one doesn't do the trick? (like deleting the first post on a thread in PPRuNe)

Like many others, I didn't like this feature at first. Wouldn't be without it now.

The other thing about gmail that's cropped up for me, is being able to keep several addresses open and hopping between them at will. Quite a nice feature.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Jan 2014, 06:54
I sent the first one of the string - and only the last one was received.

I then sent the last one of the string - and only the last one was received.

I find this weird, 'cos when adding to a string, I select "reply" then CTRL A then DELETE, if not the whole of the previous messages are repeated in my reply, and after awhile, if everyone has done that, then it is difficult to follow the chronological order of receipt.

Thinks ... maybe pressing CTRL A and getting all the messages repeated is what to do, then sending that with my new greeting to the new recipient? Should have thought of that before !!! Will report back.

( Later - as below, pressing CTRL A only added the last three messages to be deleted, i.e. only the same ones that were eventually transmitted )

Later .......... No !

All I got were the last three messages of the string, i.e. the ones where it is possible to see the name of the originator, and the first line of the text, the previous ones, which are just straight lines, were not copied and transmitted.

How do I send the whole string to someone else ?

Bushfiva
13th Jan 2014, 07:16
More... Forward all

ExSp33db1rd
13th Jan 2014, 07:45
!!!!

Easy when you know how - many thanks.

Is there a Gmail primer, or Idiots Guide to Gmail ?

Bergerie1
13th Jan 2014, 09:59
Yes please! I certainly need that idiot's guide.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Jan 2014, 20:04
Easy when you know how - many thanks.

Wrong !!

I used the 'more' and 'forward all' options and sent it to my regular e-mail as a test, and ........... got just the last three messages, again the ones that show the sender by name and the start of the message.

None of the messages on the ' hidden lines' were forwarded.

Back to Square One.

KBPsen
13th Jan 2014, 20:39
It works just fine. I just forwarded a conversation (as it's known in Google speak) consisting of 33 messages. All were forwarded in one message complete with headers.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Jan 2014, 23:21
Hasn't for me - yet, must be missing something ?

Pls. see PM

cattletruck
15th Jan 2014, 02:27
I found that upon receiving several emails in quick succession from the same sender then gmail would make a thread of it (conversation). When I tried to save them all in one go to transfer them I found I couldn't do it in the e-mail context. Instead I had to open each individual mail in the conversation and select the browser's Save Page As. Yes I could have cut and paste them too but as I can read e-mail headers and >, >>, >>>, etc conversation delimiters, like many others here I would prefer to be able to handle email in the old format too.

I suspect gmail is using its own propriety mailstore which has no concept or relation to the >, >>, >>>, etc delimiters of old - which put simply translates to only being able to deal with individual messages as a database transaction rather than a progressive mail thread.

KBPsen
15th Jan 2014, 07:12
What do you mean by "save them all in one go to transfer them"? Transfer them to what?

ExSp33db1rd
15th Jan 2014, 09:00
What do you mean by "save them all in one go to transfer them"? Transfer them to what?

I don't know what cattletruck was trying to transfer them to, but I want to send all the messages in the 'conversation' to another party not part of the 'conversation', in chronological order so that they can follow the thread and arguments.

The subject 'conversation' is currently 10 entries, and when I look at my Inbox I can see the first 'conversation' and the name of the sender, then there are 6 straight lines and finally the last three entries showing the name of the sender and the first line of the reply.

When I select "more" and "forward all" only these last three entries are sent, the previous 7 aren't.

Yes, I could 'copy and paste' each 'conversation' on to a Word document and attach that to an e-mail - do you believe that is the only way ?

Using Outlook Express - now morphed into Windows Live Mail on Windows H'eight - provided that the whole lot were still there, I could just forward the whole lot to a new recipient.

I can't do that on Gmail, tho; KBPsen tells us he has forwarded a 'conversation' of 33 messages ?

How ?

KBPsen
15th Jan 2014, 10:30
This is what the string looks like after opening it from the inbox.. Then I select 'More' > 'Forward all' and voilą. It makes no difference whether any of the old messages are open or not. It's all forwarded in a single message in chronological order including headers.

http://i44.tinypic.com/156xu2p.jpg

cattletruck
15th Jan 2014, 11:32

I meant save them all in one go to a file of which I also want all the messages in the 'conversation' to be in chronological order.

Under tradional email systems, one would just File-Save the last message or at the worst, select the latest message then type Ctrl-A to select the whole 'conversation' and copy-paste the 'conversation' to say notepad and it would appear in chronological order.

KBPsen
15th Jan 2014, 11:51
Use the 'Print all' function and then print as a pdf, xps or tif file. Or what else you have extensions for.

pax britanica
15th Jan 2014, 12:23
While we have a few Gmail experts around I have an odd question
I can access gmail via the Chrome browser but the Inbox will not display and therefore cannot be opened . On the other hand if I access gmail via the IE browser the in box is visible and all my mail is accessible.
Any ideas?

Tks
PB

ExSp33db1rd
15th Jan 2014, 23:48
By no means an Expert ( X is an unknown quantity, and a Spurt is a Drip under pressure ) but "maybe" ?? going to the bottom of the folders list there is - or at least I have - an option in blue to "manage folders". That gives you the option to "hide" or "show" folders on their list.

Just a thought, you might find a clue. ( I know, you're going to tell me that you've tried that, in which case, sorry, I have no more clues )

Personally - I'm going back to a length of string and 2 coconut halves, or maybe a bonfire and a wet blanket.

"Life" was easier before computers, maybe ignorance was bliss, but it sure was a lot less stressful !

KBPsen
16th Jan 2014, 09:42
As there are no settings for hiding or unhiding the inbox and as the problem appears browser specific, I would suggest clearing the cache in Chrome.

Open Chrome, press CRTL+SHIFT+DEL, tick the cache box, remove any other ticks, select the time range and then clear.

cattletruck
17th Jan 2014, 00:17
KBPsen thanks for your help, but I do have a feeling Gmail have done a naughty with respect to maintaining mailstore backwards compatability which is probably motived by G+ and their morph into a social media format.

KBPsen
17th Jan 2014, 11:26
I have no idea what "mailstore" is or what backwards compatibility with it has to do with Gmail.