PDA

View Full Version : LAPL with COPD ?

pipertommy
12th Jan 2014, 16:07
Hi, I have a student who is hoping to gain a LAPL. He asked if his respiratory condition- COPD would stop him. I asked if he requires O2 at home and he doesn't. I didn't ask anymore as its obviously his personal business and other people where in the room.
I have googled info and found a pilots guide, chronic lung requires AME.
But I can't find a yes or no, if a medical can be issued.
As I don't want to see him waste his money.
Thanks.

Ulster
12th Jan 2014, 17:16
From the CAA's own website

Class 2
(b) Chronic obstructive airways disease
Applicants with only minor impairment of pulmonary function may be assessed as fit.

He DOES require oxygen at home ; we all do ! Presumably not out of a cylinder, and breathed from a mask, though ! :D

Seriously ; COPD would have to be pretty bad to render someone unfit for class 2. Low level (not 8k cabin alt), minimal exertion, etc. If he does not look or sound distressed to you, on the ground, the chances are he is OK. :ok:

pipertommy
12th Jan 2014, 21:41
Lol. Only atmospheric O2 !!
Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

gingernut
13th Jan 2014, 21:05
I guess the decision would be made on his functionality. COPD has various stages, constantly breathlessness at rest would present different challenges to the occasional exacerbation.

I suspect each decision would be taken on a case by case basis.:)

Radgirl
13th Jan 2014, 21:13
LAPL medicals can be done by a GP and the standard is similar to an HGV. I doubt your friend need worry. However a class 1 or 2 will be a different matter requiring spirometer at least

Ulster
13th Jan 2014, 21:48
LAPL medicals can be done by a GP

That's true, at least in theory. In practice most GP's can't be bothered with the hassle. Also, many would regard COPD as "serious" in flying terms, and so once again such individuals would find themselves referred to us AME's !

In my view most class 2's with COPD could be adequately assessed with a thorough history, thorough auscultation and a PFR. I doubt if a full spirometry would add much (though it is, of course, usually done at initial class 1's ). :D

air pig
30th Jan 2014, 22:28
As a repat nurse, I was told if a patient is dyspnoeic on the ground they are going to be a damn site worse at altitude.

Ulster
31st Jan 2014, 12:57
I was told if a patient is dyspnoeic on the ground they are going to be a damn sight worse at altitude

That's most certainly correct when talking about flying in airliners, most of which ( not the new B787, of course ! ) cruise with a Cabin Altitude of about 8000 ft. Anyone who is severely dyspnoeic on the ground is likely to be very distressed, and maybe even hypoxic and cyanosed, at that level.

However, the original enquiry was about a LAPL student, presumably in a light single like a C152 or a PA38, and who would seldom, if ever, be above about 3000 ft. Anyone with normal breathing on the ground should cope with that sort of level change with no problems. :D