PDA

View Full Version : New on the job market

Remoyr
12th Jan 2014, 15:23
Hello
I am currently taking my ATPL(H) and expect to be done in a year or so (jan 2015). How early should one start to search/look for jobs? like maybe contacting a company and tell them who you are and are looking for a job within the next year or so. I have heard some people say it is wise to start early and some other say that you should wait until you have your license.. so i just wonder what people think? and how to approach, when contacting a company?

Thanks for answers :)

Dash8driver1312
12th Jan 2014, 16:46
I had my ear to the ground during training but never wrote to anyone until I had the appropriate qualifications. Just imagine being head of recruitment and you have a whole stack of letters starting "I'll be qualified with new licence next week/month/etc..."

There's nothing wrong with networking beforehand though!

Bon chance and safe flying!

Garfs
13th Jan 2014, 05:40
Before even starting my training I was in touch with the 3 offshore operators local to me, as well every other small company one way or another. Didnt bother them too much at this stage as I didn't have a license yet.

Kept in touch throughout my cpl and when I had my shiny new 100 plus hour cpl in hand I was still of no use to anyone.

Found a job as a hangar rat which eventually led.to flying, and kept in touch with the big companies all the way through.

After 18 months the words interview were mentioned from.one operator I was in touch with

That was a few years ago and today I am very lucky and grateful to have an IR and two big twins on my license, courtesy of my employer

Remoyr
13th Jan 2014, 07:20
Thank you both for replying!

I will try to get in touch with some companies in my area and let them know I exist, like a short presentation of myself. And let them know that I will send them an CV when i get my license!

And maybe it would lead to something!

Does it sound like a plan?