PDA

View Full Version : Cockroach removed from ear

ChrisJ800
10th Jan 2014, 20:18
There are plenty of annoying and painful insects in Oz and a few weeks back I got stung by a Jack Jumper ant which is painful and has been known to kill people, but this story means I need to add cockroaches to the nasty critter list:

BBC News - Australian man has 2cm cockroach removed from his ear (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25690488)

Part quote:
"
An Australian man has received medical treatment to remove a large cockroach that had burrowed into his ear.

Local media reported that the 2cm pest caused agonising pain for Hendrik Helmer, and defied his efforts to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner.

It was finally killed by doctors at a hospital in the northern city of Darwin and removed using forceps....
"
:ouch: :ooh: :eek:

tony draper
10th Jan 2014, 20:50
Jeezuz! you already got Sharks Serpents Spiders Jellyfish Octopusus now killer Ants and Cockroaches,I would never leave the house.:uhoh:

500N
10th Jan 2014, 20:52
One thing I do up there is check my ears regularly.

I got bitten this year by some big flying wasps thing, came at me,
grabbed the top of my ear, bit me and flew off.

tony draper
10th Jan 2014, 20:58
Once went out with a convent lass,she told me in summer the Nuns had them camping in the grounds, on these occasions they were issued with a extra pair of knickers to wear on their heads and over the ears least a Earwig find its way therein, I make no comment on her knicker wearing protocol in later years.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
10th Jan 2014, 21:19
I think the insect was a cochlearoach

2 sheds
10th Jan 2014, 22:42
One thing I do up there is check my ears regularly.
Not to mention other orifi...!

2 s

meadowrun
10th Jan 2014, 23:12
Hmmm, Australia you say?

Lucky it wasn't a big one then.

OFSO
11th Jan 2014, 07:25
Don't want to bend over while nude either, might get a drop bear up there.....

megle2
11th Jan 2014, 08:39
Or a hoop snake

TWT
11th Jan 2014, 09:00
OFSO,it's the freckle geckos you have to watch out for !

onetrack
11th Jan 2014, 09:08
I'm personally surprised at the number of people who camp directly on the ground in Australia - in swags or bedrolls.
If they knew just how much by way of creepy-crawlies wandered around the ground at night, they wouldn't sleep on the ground at any time.
Centipedes and scorpions are just for starters. Many a swag-sleeper has been amazed to find wild dingo paw-prints all around their swag in the morning.
Light a campfire at night in the desert or semi-desert country in the Outback, and then watch out for the scorpions gathered in a circle around the outside of the campfire circle, all intent on warming themselves, too!
I camp in a secure location inside a vehicle at all times - with no entry points for mozzies - and well away from flying, crawling, and biting nasties that can make your life a misery.
Even some of the most innocuous-looking little flying bugs can pack a bite that is painful and itchy for days afterwards.
Rutherglen bugs, ladybirds, tiny little spiders that climb into your clothes drying on a line, and a hundred other nasty, flying, bities - they're all out to get you!!

airship
11th Jan 2014, 09:25
G-CPTN wrote: I think the insect was a cochlearoach :ok:

"Noddying his head in total agreement" airship thought, "the bloke must be a descendent of Big Ears?!"

Is ear-wax perhaps a special culinary delicacy to 'roaches? :8

SawMan
11th Jan 2014, 12:39
I woke to a small spider in my ear once- very odd to hear and feel the bugger moving around in there! He didn't survive the ear syringe of warm water- he didn't look like he was swimming in the sink when I got him washed out. Something like a cockroach in your ear would probably drive you crazy in short order- that spider was almost enough to do it for me, and some say that it did, but I disagree with them....with them....with them....Now where is my tinfoil hat? :eek:

OFSO
11th Jan 2014, 13:28
Way back when I and my colleagues were young and fancy-free, following one heavy drinking session (or a moderate drinking session by German standards) two of my friends spent the night in the same bed - nothing gay about it, t'was just that they were too drunk to find their own beds. Next morning one awoke to find he had gone deaf in one ear over night.

Staggering to the bathroom (sensitive people might not want to read on) he discovered that his friend had vomited in his ear overnight. A cockroach in the ear would perhaps have prevented this malheur.

mtoroshanga
11th Jan 2014, 14:02
had this myself at boarding school in Rhodesia in the 1950s
Matron poured hot olive oil into my ear and out it came
suspect health and safety would now require enough paperwork to start world war 3 but those were realistic days
have never been able to look at cockroaches with the same lights.

ChrisJ800
11th Jan 2014, 19:42

Clever! LOL :cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Jan 2014, 19:58
grabbed the top of my ear, bit me and flew off.

We have something similar in these parts. Hits you and leaves with a chunk of your hide, all in under a second. Bit painful as well. There's also a fly that lays eggs in your eye in the same manner. Let's not even talk about the tsetse flies who make off with a chunk of your neck or armpit after crawling in there very carefully before having at it. No wonder I squash all insects on sight (although I have a soft spot for ants and leave them alone).

lomapaseo
11th Jan 2014, 22:00
very dangerous to use a vacuum cleaner on the ear. <i would have suggester using an aeosol can through the other ear to blow it out

cockney steve
11th Jan 2014, 22:16
The doctor probably diagnosed "dire ear" had it been a young lady, it would have been "a cute dire ear"

Loose rivets
11th Jan 2014, 22:22

Now, do you want an apostrophe in front of the s? Probably better remove it.:E

For comments like that, you should be drummed out! ;)

broadreach
12th Jan 2014, 00:30
Cockroach in the ear? Better than one of these:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/broadreach/image-80.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/broadreach/media/image-80.jpg.html)

Remains of a small (1.5m) Bushmaster found at the bottom of the garden yesterday. Must remember to keep house doors closed.

Hydromet
12th Jan 2014, 00:55
For comments like that, you should be drummed out! 'ear 'ear!