PDA

View Full Version : Happy baccy?

tony draper
10th Jan 2014, 15:31
Apparently selling like hot cakes in Colorado, much coin for government,how long before the tax greedy bastards here twig on?
:rolleyes:

rgbrock1
10th Jan 2014, 15:38
Tony D:

Colorado is one state. But I fully believe once the rest of the States see what kind of tax $$$$ the waccy baccy is bringing in, it won't be long before they all get onboard. Then the United States of America becomes the United Stoners of America.

500N
10th Jan 2014, 15:50
Agree.

All 3 states seem to be raking it in.

Won't be long before others jump on the band wagon.

goudie
10th Jan 2014, 15:50
Money talks...ain't that the truth!

Happy people, happy government. Everyone's laughing.

llondel
10th Jan 2014, 16:16
Well, if it causes all the neocons to mellow out then it might be good for world peace.

tony draper
10th Jan 2014, 16:30
Apparently a unofficial blind eye was turned on its use in our prisons because it mellowed out their punters.
This country could do with cheering up.
:rolleyes:

pigboat
10th Jan 2014, 16:44
The problem is, the extra revenues generated by the pot tax will not be used to pay down public debt or maintain social programs. It will go to creating more government freebies. Then there are the deluded politicians who believe that making pot legal and taxing the ass off it will somehow end illegal trafficking, and those who grew the stuff illegally will now become gentlemen farmers. Guess again boys.

Gordy
10th Jan 2014, 16:54
And the biggest opponents are the illegal drug dealers now out of work.

500N
10th Jan 2014, 17:08
Pig Boat

Not sure I agree with you on all of that.

For a start, the last 50+ years of law enforcement hasn't done that well
so IMHO worth trying something new.

It won't end illegal trafficking but it sure as hell will make a dent
in the business model.

As to where the money goes, well, that is another thing altogether !

rgbrock1
10th Jan 2014, 18:01
If you look at the repeal of Prohibition in this country and its immediate aftermath, you'll find that black market alcohol was still thriving for a short while afterward. But within 5 years the black market for alcohol all but basically evaporated. I forsee the same happening with the happy weed.

tony draper
10th Jan 2014, 18:09
True I think the war on drugs failed dismally thirty years ago,of course the war itself has become a huge industry employing thousands and hoovering unto itself lots of government cash as long as its generals keep spouting the nonsense that they are winning said war,or they will be winning it soon.
:uhoh:

Mechta
10th Jan 2014, 19:28
... and who is going to pick up the tab for all the resulting unemployable schizophrenics? That's the bit that Hollywood fails to mention in its continual advertising of the wonders of narcotics.

G-CPTN
10th Jan 2014, 20:19
who is going to pick up the tab for all the resulting unemployable schizophrenics?
That's the bit that Hollywood fails to mention in its continual advertising of the wonders of narcotics.Who cares?

Chill-out, man . . .

pigboat
10th Jan 2014, 22:56
Tobacco is a legal product, has been since day one. In the effort to discourage its use, governments have taxed tobacco at sky high rates for the last 10 or 15 years, with the result that a lid of cigarettes will now run you about 10 bucks. That's if one is dumb enough to buy them legally. I live near an aboriginal reserve, where cigarettes - if you know the right people - are available for less than half the legal price. By taxing the living hell out of tobacco, the government begat a one billion dollar smuggling industry where a piddling industry existed before. If governments insist on taxing legal pot at anywhere near the rates of tobacco, there is absolutely no reason to believe there will be any different outcome. Personally I think pot should have been legalized years ago, but anyone who believes its legalization will be a tax windfall that will be spent wisely or that legalization will keep pot out of the hands of adolescents, is smoking something stronger than pot.

Just sayin'.

con-pilot
10th Jan 2014, 23:13
To be honest, I have nothing against marijuana, never have. I never touched the stuff because; A. No way in hell I would jeopardize my pilot career. B. Had no desire to go to jail.

Now that I'm retired, who knows. :E

In Oklahoma and a lot of other states, it is an indigenous plant, the stuff grows everywhere*. Including on the south side of the US Marshal's Air Opertions hangar at KOKC. :p

* Farmers call it loco weed, cattle eat it and go nuts.

onetrack
10th Jan 2014, 23:36
Not to worry, folks, this is just a new scheme to fix the drug problem once and for all - tax it out of existence.
It's worked in every other part of the economy, no reason it won't work in the drug industry.

The next stage will be extending the taxes to heroin, cocaine, MDMA, LSD, magic mushrooms, and anything else even remotely hallucogenic and illegal.

I can't wait to hear the howls of protest as drug dealers are jailed for tax evasion, vast numbers of DEA agents become unemployed, the "War on Drugs" programs have to be abandoned - and vast numbers of drug growers give up trying to grow marijuana and opium poppies, as "there just ain't no money in it any more, since the Govt got involved!!" :E

llondel
11th Jan 2014, 02:04
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

Reagan was right about that being the scariest thing you can hear.

arcniz
11th Jan 2014, 03:10
Humanity's history with reference to sinners of certain kinds - successive phases:

Banish them
Hang them
Maim them
Imprison them
Undermine their lives
Tax them
Tax them more and better
Praise them -- and tax them yet more
Elect them to public office
Revolt against..(some) of them
Hang them on street lamps -- strictly as a private initiative
Elect some more of them
etc.

racedo
11th Jan 2014, 04:31
... and who is going to pick up the tab for all the resulting unemployable schizophrenics? That's the bit that Hollywood fails to mention in its continual advertising of the wonders of narcotics.

My sentiments exactly............

In 10 years it will be what have we done Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

WAC
11th Jan 2014, 05:03
Loco weed is NOT cannabis.
Cannabis/hemp in infact reasonable cattle feed.

parabellum
11th Jan 2014, 05:43
One problem I see, if reports are to be believed, is that pot addicts often turn to something stronger when continual use of pot has numbed their senses and they require something stronger to get the required 'high'. Ergo, legalise pot, increase widespread usage, increase the traffic in hard drugs.

SawMan
11th Jan 2014, 11:33
One problem I see, if reports are to be believed, is that pot addicts often turn to something stronger when continual use of pot has numbed their senses and they require something stronger to get the required 'high'. Ergo, legalise pot, increase widespread usage, increase the traffic in hard drugs.

As someone who 'has been there' decades ago in my mis-spent youth I strongly disagree. There are no 'gateway' drugs but instead a 'gateway attitude' towards drugs. And each drug offers a different effect, some of which everybody who tries them isn't going to like. One of my friends in my youth had a dad who was a career cop who knew his son smoked weed. He told us that he had never seen a dead body in a crash where only weed was involved, but that if we had more than one beer to never get behind the wheel of a car because the worst he saw was caused by alcohol.

Those who don't know what weed does to a person won't understand this. It calms and slows you down where many drugs (especially alcohol) wind you up and make you think you're Superman. Which of these two is going to cause more problems? If you are going to have alcohol legal then weed should be legal too since it is far lees harmful to society. IMHO neither should be legal but that ain't going to happen.

What does need to happen is to deny government benefits of all kinds to those who abuse any drugs including alcohol and prescribed drugs. Make people personally responsible for their choices with direct and immediate consequences and most people will choose well. This who don't will become Darwin-fodder, and their loss will either not harm or will improve the world for those of us remaining ;) If you have an addiction problem it should relegate you to having only the lowest of jobs with no hope for anything better until you fix your problem. Legal or not, companies can and will still drug-test making this happen even if the government does nothing more. And there have already been impaired driving convictions where pot was involved- note that in all of these I've seen so far alcohol was the main factor in the traffic stop; none were for pot alone. And nobody made them do it but themselves.

If we can get those kinds of idiots to pay more of our tax bills while they're still here, so much the better. Rip them off and let them rot- it was their choice to do that to themselves. :bored:

vulcanised
11th Jan 2014, 12:01
Perhaps an alternative might be found by associating with Puffer fish?

I watched an amusing scene where a group of Bottle-nosed Dolphins grabbed one and it immediately inflated itself, resulting in the dolphins playing ball with it,

This so enraged the fish that it used it's ultimate deterrent, releasing a cloud of toxins. Those toxins can be fatal, but in small doses simply act as a narcotic which is what happened to the dolphins who proceeded to pass the fish around, as if it were a reefer.

When all were high, they lost interest in the Puffer, who proceeded to deflate and depart.

OFSO
11th Jan 2014, 13:39
As one who when young also indulged in "da weed" on a couple of occasions, may I point out that many people are not comparing like with like. The innocent mary jane I smoked forty years ago is nothing like as strong nor had as many severe psychological effects as modern skunk does.

I know two men who have cultivated and smoked their own marijhuana for most of their lives. Both have an inability to get a grip on reality, to do anything, to plan a job and see it through, both are drifters. 'Course, they might have been like that anyway, but I can't help make the connection between what they smoked and how they are now.

vulcanised
11th Jan 2014, 14:25
Basil, if you would like to see it BBC iPlayer - Dolphins - Spy in the Pod: Episode 2 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03ny6tx/Dolphins_Spy_in_the_Pod_Episode_2/)

Flash2001
11th Jan 2014, 15:38
Just a cotton-pickin minute here! The TV said that the price is about $400.00/oz. Surely that's higher than the street price and would have little effect on the illegal trade.

after an excellent landing etc...

racedo
11th Jan 2014, 21:12
You almost sense the future that cities will be full of people spaced out in oblivion and countryside will be made up of those who have no wish to be part of it.

Grew up in a place where biggest guy (and bully) pretty much tried everything possible. He did everything including spending time locked up for various things. After 25 years of frying his brain and whatever in there he was totally psychotic and was incapable of anything.

Remember family member often gave him a lift if saw him on way to therapy.........guy was pleasant but not really there.

I use "Was" as eventually guy pretty much had his head fried so much that hearing that he has committed suicide wasn't really a shock.

Pappa Smurf
12th Jan 2014, 00:39
In the land of Aus where we have roadside random drug and alcohol tests the chances of getting caught are higher.
But unlike industry drug tests where THC is detected over a longer period,the roadside test is OK if you haven't used in the last 12 hours.
The odd joint isn't going to hurt anyone,but the space cadets who smoke all day long as if cigarettes are a problem.
The hydroponic grown pack a punch as well.
Me and weed never got along.Kept putting me to sleep.

CityofFlight
12th Jan 2014, 00:48
The gov't has everything to gain: high tax revenue and a populace who becomes even less interested in the liberties the gov't takes away from us. Most Americans haven't a clue how far we've deviated from the Constitution. Will be even less now. :suspect:

Fliegenmong
12th Jan 2014, 08:59
Many many many years ago, working in a global hotel chain that began with 'S', as a night porter...I was stoned....as was reception, night club staff, room service staff, chefs, night housekeeping, all the various restaurant wait staff, the bar staff, concierge, condominium manager....everyone including even security!...were stoned!! :E:D:=

Remember thinking one night around 02:00 or so local, how we'd all manage if a fire broke out and an evacuation was required! :eek:

Haven't touched it in years myself, still in contact with people from 20+ years ago who still smoke regularly and hold down well meaning jobs and positions in society.

Oh yeah, now I remember something else as well! At that Hotel chain.....we once hosted a huge Doctor's forum...one of the sports cars I parked on one night had a glove box stashed full of weed and prescription pads!!! I was stunned at the risk this medical professional was taking!! ..So I 'Taxed it' :E:E

rgbrock1
13th Jan 2014, 17:43
CoF wrote:

The gov't has everything to gain: high tax revenue and a populace who becomes even less interested in the liberties the gov't takes away from us. Most Americans haven't a clue how far we've deviated from the Constitution. Will be even less now.

Amen to that. :D

Lantern10
13th Jan 2014, 20:11

And don't forget every alcoholic started off by drinking milk.:ugh:

avoman
13th Jan 2014, 20:56
Well Lantern, 'if reports are to be believed' every disaster will happen. Because so many people have an interest in this War On Drugs that has kept them employed for decades, any amount of propaganda has been pumped out with terrible scare stories. Yes some will progress onto harder stuff. And most will not. And most will give up because long term it really isn't that great.
Looking back on my many user friends from years ago some of them were enthusiastic dopers for a while. But they all seem to have turned out well enough. Some drink a bit too much though.
I suggest the effects in individuals will be far less than that from alcohol and on families and society way less. Let us hear it for personal freedom ok?

Pappa Smurf
13th Jan 2014, 20:56
Don't hear much about pot these days.
Its all the other crap,meths ,ecsticy etc
With more and more work related drug tests the trend has changed to drugs that get out your system quicker.
They are like having a cocktail in Bali----never know whats in them