PDA

View Full Version : Politicians at their best...

Two's in
9th Jan 2014, 17:29
When a local Mayor in New Jersey did not support the State Governor's reelection bid, his close advisors decided it was payback time when the Governor was reelected. They arranged to close multiple traffic lanes on the George Washington bridge, the main thoroughfare between New Jersey and New York. This was intended to make the mayor of Fort Lee look bad, as the closures were under his jurisdiction. Traffic was gridlocked for days, school kids missed their first day of school, and multiple emergency vehicles were prevented from attending emergency calls.

But the great thing about stinking, corrupt politicians (that would be all of them) is they are too stupid for words. And in this case they wrote down every filthy act of corruption in e-mails and texts, which of course have now been released publicly. The Governor probably didn't know about this, but he is responsible for the actions of his team, and in this case they screwed up royally.

It doesn't matter which party or affiliation any of these clowns belonged to, here in the States politicians only serve themselves with their unchecked crookedness and malfeasance. This story could and does apply to the whole stinking barrel of rotten bastards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/nyregion/christie-controversy-bridge-lane-closings.html?_r=0

rgbrock1
9th Jan 2014, 17:31
A line from a long ago Led Zeppelin song seems apt with this in mind:

Bring 'em to the gallows pole. :ok:

brickhistory
9th Jan 2014, 18:25
No love for Christie and I'm enjoying the coverage of Operation "Fat and Furious."

But it seems like hardball politics, not a scandal.

"What difference, at this point, does it make?"

Which should be the refrain for every GOP politician from now through 2016.

VFD
9th Jan 2014, 19:56
"What difference, at this point, does it make?"
It seems Christie has taken responsibility for the actions of his aides and held the person who did this accountable.

That has to be a galactic blow to the Obama administration.

VFD

con-pilot
9th Jan 2014, 20:21
It seems Christie has taken responsibility for the actions of his aides and held the person who did this accountable.

And fired her. Fired; a term or word not found or known of within the Obama Administration.

I saw a press conference of Christie's and it is really hard to fake being that mad.

Just my opinion mind you.

But fear not, Obama has ordered a Federal investigation to look into the matter. So we have that working for us. Course if it is run like the Federal investigations into all the messes in the Obama Administration, it will be like putting Mrs. Christie in charge of the investigation. :E

rgbrock1
9th Jan 2014, 20:24
I personally think Chris Christie is a good man and a plus for the Republican Party. He's a "straight shooter" and tells it like it is. He appeared pissed off in the news conference because he was pissed off big time. Granted, one does take responsibility for the actions of ones underlings. Which he did. But I equally sure he hadn't a clue what was going on behind his back.

I'd love to see him go toe-to-toe with Billary in 2016. I can hear Christie now: "Hillary? You're an old hag."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Jan 2014, 20:25
Plausible Deniability
Anyone think the Governor didn't know his staff were doing this kind of thing?

Thought not.

rgbrock1
9th Jan 2014, 20:28
Fox3:

Just for your edification: Chris Christie is governor of the U.S. State of New Jersey (pronounced New Joisey by the natives) and not a Senator! :ok::O

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Jan 2014, 20:30
Thanks, sorry, corrected.
Point still stands I feel.

con-pilot
9th Jan 2014, 20:35
Anyone think the Senator didn't know his staff were doing this kind of thing?

Huh, who are you talking about, Christie is a Governor, of New Jersey to be specific. Also, aids will do things behind a politican's back, if they think they can get away with it, comes with the territory of being a professional brown noser, aka suck-up. God knows I have flown enough politicans and their aids to know.

But rest assured that the Democrats will be shoving this down Christie's throat ever chance they get until the election in 2016 and after should Christie become President.

In my opinion this is why Christie is so mad, because this stupid incident could cost him the Presidency in 2016.

Fox3, please disregard my first sentence that I just put in bold print. I would have deleted it, but you may have already read it.

Sorry, I missed the last two posts.

rgbrock1
9th Jan 2014, 20:36
Fox3:

Normally I would agree with you. But in this case, no, I don't think he knew what was going on. Granted, ignorance is not an excuse but his underlings paid the price for their transgressions and were fired. They'll be lucky to find a job flipping burgers at McDonald's after this.

But, as forseen, O'Bummer & Co. have latched onto this and a "special prosecutor" is looking into the whole sordid affair.

oh, the irony of it all.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Jan 2014, 20:38
Exactly con-pilot. Politicians hire the kind of people who do this sort of thing.
A man is known by the company he keeps.

I would like to see what kind of job his ex-Deputy CoS has in 2 years, when all the who-ha has died down. That's normally when their ex-boss ensures they get rewarded for taking the rap, when the media stops looking.

rgbrock1
9th Jan 2014, 20:40
con:

I agree: this could indeed cost him in 2016. HOWEVER, it also depends on how the despicable media plays this. If they latch onto it like a dog with a bone - as they usually do - then his aspirations for higher office are over. If, however, this "news-worthy item" is forgotten about quickly then he can probably lick his wounds and move on. Besides which: big f**king deal. So one of his ass't chiefs of staff caused a couple of lane closures leading to the George Washington bridge. Like THAT makes a big difference! :} It's not like his staff sold guns to some Mexicans, eh O'Bummer?

(for those not in the know: traffic to and from the George Washington bridge is brutal as it is. It is not unknown to wait an hour, or more, to cross in heavy traffic.)

con-pilot
9th Jan 2014, 20:40
A man is known by the company he keeps.

Yup and look at the company Obama had before he was President and after for that matter. :p

brickhistory
9th Jan 2014, 20:43
I'm with Fox3.

Somebody got caught with an extremity in the cookie jar.

The bus had to fed and an aide went under it.

Price for playing in the big leagues; plausible deniability has been mentioned to which I concur.

Again, I am not a Christie fan. He is a RINO and holds far too liberal positions on a couple of non-negotiable (sp?) issues for me. One being the 2d Amendment.

I do like his "fuggedaboutit" attitude towards the press and opponents, but only for the shock value. He is a politician interested in Chris Christie.

Lonewolf_50
9th Jan 2014, 20:45
Fox, if this were a run of the mill New Jersey politician, I'd tend to agree with you.

Of late, two politicians from New Jersey have apparently gone at least two sigma from the norm in the direction we would approve of: Corrie Booker, Mayor of Newark and I think now in Congress, and Chris Christie.

Until I find out otherwise, these two will get the benefit of my doubt, unlike Corzine and crooks of his ilk ... which New Jersey politics has in plentitude. :mad:

(My mother is from New Jersey, and is pleased to be far enough from it these days so that she no longer has to answer for the crooks in her home state. Then again, she lives near DC, so maybe it's not all wine and roses on that score either).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Jan 2014, 20:50
Please note I have no ax to grind about who should be running NJ (or the USA), and pragmatically somebody has to and Governor Christie may be the best of a bad job. I hasten to add that a Senator from my Province has a public approval rating of about -40% at the moment for, among other things, not even living in the Province he allegedly represents.

Hang the lot of 'em.

con-pilot
9th Jan 2014, 20:52
Hang the lot of 'em.

That would be a good start. :ok:

Self Loathing Freight
9th Jan 2014, 20:56
They'll be lucky to find a job flipping burgers at McDonald's after this. Google Bridget Anne Kelly's name in 12 months and I'll bet she is working for some Republican-affiliated group. Christie threw her under the bus to keep his 2016 bid alive. :yuk:

brickhistory
9th Jan 2014, 20:57
Hang the lot of 'em.

Be a helluva rope for the New Jersey governor. Perhaps a ship tie down from the nearby ports?

con-pilot
9th Jan 2014, 20:59
Christie threw her under the bus to keep his 2016 bid alive. :yuk:

Oh, like Obama did to his grandmother. I see what you mean now. :E

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Jan 2014, 21:00
Rope?
Handily, the World's #1 Supplier of Piano wire has a warehouse in NJ

Piano Strings, Piano Wire, Stringing Tools, Custom Bass Strings (http://www.vandaking.com/piano-strings.html)

Buy local!

obgraham
10th Jan 2014, 04:08
Jesus H. or whatever his middle initial should be!:

We had a president sending guns to Mexico that killed Americans. And couldn't be bothered protect his diplomats in Libya. And apparently sent thousands of our best and brightest to be maimed and killed in a war he didn't believe in despite him telling us he did. And sent the IRS to harass groups he didn't like. And put 5-10 Americans out of their health insurance for every one who he enrolled in his subsidized plan.

And all that is just fine -- "it's all politics, folks". "Y'all go ahead and elect another one just like me only worse." And we probably will.

BUT...... let there be an f'ing traffic jam for a day or two, delaying those lovely New Yorkers. And all of a sudden we have special prosecutors, and a potential candidate's career is deemed OVER.

What the HELL has this system degenerated to. I'm starting to think Karzai would make a better candidate. At least everyone knows he's a grifter.

Krystal n chips
10th Jan 2014, 06:02
Sadly, one traffic jam does not constitute a major upset, at least here in the UK given the Highways Agency have long since perfected the technique of creating chaos under the guise of being in control.

However, and with an eye to the future, last night's news carried an item about this "unfortunate occurrence " and duly introduced a new face and candidate for the entertainment, albeit unintentional of course, and comedic content on the next election for Mr Pres.

The fabled "dream ticket" of said Governor and Sarah....assuming Sarah can find New Jersey that is, would be a ratings hit !....that said, as a solo act the first part of this duo would seem to have a lot of potential in his own right.

obgraham
10th Jan 2014, 06:19
The fabled "dream ticket" of said Governor and SarahWell although you all over there would just love to have Sarah run again so you explain to us how much smarter your pols are than ours, there is one problem: Sarah is not running, and will not be a nominee for anything. She will, however, pop up on TV occasionally, just to irritate lefties.

pigboat
10th Jan 2014, 12:38
But, as forseen, O'Bummer & Co. have latched onto this and a "special prosecutor" is looking into the whole sordid affair.
Oh, the irony of it all.

Calling all special prosecutors.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/Siddley-Hawker/Joker_zps0807490a.jpg

piperboy84
10th Jan 2014, 12:56
Fat and Furious huh

rgbrock1
10th Jan 2014, 15:30
obgraham wrote:

BUT...... let there be an f'ing traffic jam for a day or two, delaying those lovely New Yorkers.

Ahem. Ummmm, the vast majority of those affected by the delays were New Joisey-ites, not New Yawkers.

I take it from your condescending use of the word "lovely" that you don't take much to New Yorkers. Oh well, too bad.

obgraham
10th Jan 2014, 16:42
I take it from your condescending use of the word "lovely" that you don't take much to New Yorkers.Well, present company excepted, RGB, you would be correct. Despite their opinions to the contrary, everything that happens there is not of prime interest to the rest of the country. And no, I don't understand the difference between NY and NJ.

airship
10th Jan 2014, 17:05
If any ancient Romans were available to comment, they might have suggested that this is just one of the symptoms eventually leading to the demise of the Roman empire (or USA and others) in 2014. The same shennanigans occur here in France, and assuredly in the UK also.

What the ancient Romans might also have remarked is: How strange that "supposedly intelligent" citizens in 2014 do not comprehend such matters, having the benefit of history and hindsight etc.?! Merely making a mockery of the subject, preferring to have their own laugh, and obtaining others' laughs without properly addressing the very (grave) problem confronting their lives "in the flesh"...?! :rolleyes:

con-pilot
10th Jan 2014, 17:13
If any ancient Romans were available to comment, they might have suggested that this is just one of the symptoms eventually leading to the demise of the Roman empire

Nonsense, t'was George W. Bush wot caused the Fall of Rome. At least according to our brand of Liberals. :p

airship
10th Jan 2014, 17:35
con-pilot, please do let us know when you (and your sort) "get over GWB". Most of the rest of us have got over "him" in 2014, whilst still dealing with the consequences leftover afterwards.

Perhaps you wonder very little over politics etc. these days, ever since the downfall of your own idol (GWB) 2 administrations ago? Preferring to belittle your current President, though that's your prerogative innit?

Meanwhile, it appears as if elected-politicians, their subordinates etc. can look forward to feathering their own nests, as it were, wherever they are, or if they're of US, UK or French origin...?! :}

rgbrock1
10th Jan 2014, 17:58
airship:

I've been meaning to ask you a question for some time now but with the last two posts you made in this thread, I think it imperative I ask now:

Are you on drugs?

con-pilot
10th Jan 2014, 18:02
con-pilot, please do let us know when you (and your sort) "get over GWB". Most of the rest of us have got over "him" in 2014, whilst still dealing with the consequences leftover afterwards

I am terribly sorry airship, I do so humbly apologize, as I was under the impression that you had a sense of humor.

It is now quite obvious that you do not.

vulcanised
10th Jan 2014, 20:10
Are you on drugs?

Followed by "Were they prescribed for someone else?"

radeng
10th Jan 2014, 22:48
So just how many of these guys who get to high office actually do it by their own capabilities and endeavours, as opposed to being the puppets controlled by the party machine?

I'm willing to believe that Christy and OB didn't know half of what was being done in their names, same as GWB: the political machine has the man under control and not the other way round. Then when it goes t*ts up, they have someone as scapegoat and the merry go round carries on....

Maybe the method in the French revolution was best - Madame at least didn't give them a second chance!

airship
11th Jan 2014, 11:31
I am terribly sorry airship, I do so humbly apologize, as I was under the impression that you had a sense of humor.
Hmmm, "sense of humour loss", I wonder if a couple of these pills (Valium) will do the trick?! ;)

con-pilot
11th Jan 2014, 15:42
Hmmm, "sense of humour loss", I wonder if a couple of these pills (Valium) will do the trick?!

Those, a nice tumbler of Scotch and you'll be a new man. :ok:

Krystal n chips
11th Jan 2014, 16:39
Certainly a star in the making then.....with an interesting record so far....and, hopefully, more of the same to come !

The Chris Christie scandal proves it: strong leaders are dangerous | Jonathan Freedland | Comment is free | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/10/chris-christie-scandal-strong-leaders-dangerous)

Note for the cousins......the above item is rather long so please ensure you are seated, comfortable and with suitable refreshment available....reading it being the easy part.

The article does raise some very valid issues however.

Two's in
11th Jan 2014, 17:09
But it's not about "a few cones'.

It's about a few self-serving narrow minded imbeciles delivering political retribution to somebody who didn't toe the line, and as a result impacting the daily lives of thousands of people.

It's the ultimate act of masturbation - pleasing yourself with no care for others. Whether Christie knew or not is besides the point. The individuals responsible acted like playground bullies and now they get truly fu(ked over - as they so richly deserve.

Never has the North Korean method for dealing with wayward politicians looked more inviting.

con-pilot
11th Jan 2014, 19:11
Never has the North Korean method for dealing with wayward politicians looked more inviting.

You ever wonder how and why Obama ran unopposed in his only US Senator race.

You might just want to look that up.

RatherBeFlying
12th Jan 2014, 03:22
Here in Canada. the Head of the Prime Minister's Office got thrown under the bus for fronting a senator $90K to reimburse expense claims.

Now in Joisey, we see the same kind of bus feeding.

The top guy heaps blame on his "overzealous underlings" -- but who hired them? -- who set the tone?

Sometimes the plausible deniability gets a little too thick.

mickjoebill
12th Jan 2014, 04:07
Class action; drivers delayed in this traffic jam versus the state?

Mickjoebill

cattletruck
12th Jan 2014, 11:47
With the weather being unseasonally cold this year I heard that American politicians have their hands in their own pockets for a change.

con-pilot
12th Jan 2014, 16:03
With the weather being unseasonally cold this year I heard that American politicians have their hands in their own pockets for a change.

:D:D:D .........................

Krystal n chips
16th Jan 2014, 04:24
Some of you may have missed this rather entertaining little item on last nights C4 News.....

http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/150114

You know a piece is going to be entertaining when the opening shots commence with a couple of gronks dressed up in a manner that makes you want to cry with laughter....despite the so called gravitas they are intended to present.....you couldn't really take anybody who dresses like a Ruritanian mannequin seriously now can you ?...anyway, the main subject and his former friends proved even more entertaining...as did the musical, ahem, tribute from Mr Springsteen....:ok:

We know you kept Sarah hidden from the worlds gaze for many years....but why, oh why, have you kept this equally entertaining individual hidden for so long as well ?