PDA

View Full Version : Sugar is the new tobacco.

superq7
9th Jan 2014, 13:16
Action on Sugar launches today.

Sugar is as dangerous as alcohol and tobacco, warn health experts - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10559671/Sugar-is-as-dangerous-as-alcohol-and-tobacco-warn-health-experts.html)

500N
9th Jan 2014, 14:11
Well, in the last few months I have decreased my sugar intake (plus general overall food intake) for my positive benefit.

Now I just need to cut down the tobacco intake :rolleyes:

Union Jack
9th Jan 2014, 14:12
Action on Sugar launches today.

About time too - Oh, not that Sugar ....;)

Jack

vulcanised
9th Jan 2014, 14:13
Tomorrow, or next week, we will have another batch of experts telling us we need to eat more sugar.

500N
9th Jan 2014, 14:23
On this one, I doubt it. It's been known for a long time that we eat too much
sugar and too much is in things we eat and drink.

I must admit to being surprised at how much sugar some foods
and drinks contain.

moosp
9th Jan 2014, 14:29
Yes Vulcan but those experts will be paid by the sugar industry. It is very easy to skew experimental results to the advantage of one group or another.

I remember in the 70s when saccharine was vilified by research. The research at one laboratory to my knowledge was funded by the British Sugar Corporation.

Sugar is a big killer and should be reduced and regulated. It is addictive and is causing much of the obesity epidemic which is contributing to early death.

500N
9th Jan 2014, 14:32
A combination of a high sugar diet and lack of walking is causing
very high rates of diabetes in Aboriginals (and whites for that
matter).

it is commonly referred to as "Toyota disease" from everyone buying
toyota 4WD's instead of walking.

superq7
9th Jan 2014, 14:33
I tried a "healthy" version of Heinz baked beans containing no salt or sugar a few years ago, it tasted like sh!t, not that I've ever eaten sh!t, oh come to think of it my ex wife's cooking comes to mind :{

G-CPTN
9th Jan 2014, 14:33
When we moved to Denmark in the early 1980s, sugar was already considered by the Danes to be more pernicious than tobacco, with health warnings on packets of sugar and heavy taxes on sugar and products containing sugar.

Sugar tax in Denmark a burden for food and drink firms (http://www.foodnavigator.com/Financial-Industry/Very-difficult-to-be-a-Danish-food-producer-under-sugar-tax-system-says-Toms)

Lonewolf_50
9th Jan 2014, 14:41
Sugar is the new tobacco.

With respect, my dear sir, this is a load of bollocks.

I tried smoking some sugar this morning, and there is no way in hell it replaces tobacco. Back to cigars, your misleading headline notwithstanding.
:8:}

Echo Romeo
9th Jan 2014, 14:46
Ah, thats whats driving this latest health warning, bet its being seen as a possible taxation money spinner.

Now that the fat content in confectionary and the like has been reduced, they've increased sugar content, I'd agree, most bars like Snickers etc are way to sweet.

SpringHeeledJack
9th Jan 2014, 15:56
If you really want to know just how over sweetened things are, try a week with minimal sugar (in all forms) and then recommence. "They' know how addictive and familiar sugar is to us and that's why it's added to processed products that might normally not be associated with sweetness.

SHJ

500N
9th Jan 2014, 16:01
SHJ

Agree.

In my quest to lose a bit of weight, I have been having days with
no sugar on cereal or in my coffee.

rgbrock1
9th Jan 2014, 17:03
well then, since sugar is as bad as tobacco I want it banned. Since I'm not allowed to smoke indoors anymore, I want all people who eat anything containing sugar to have to do so outside as well.. Why? Because of second-hand sugar. Who knows how much sugar molecles glides through the airways just waiting to embed their nasty little cells within my organism? And it might make me fat as well. Second-hand fat, who wants that?

Kill 'em all.

Tankertrashnav
9th Jan 2014, 17:14
Dont have a sweet tooth myself - fats are my downfall - bacon sandwiches, pork chops etc- and if anyone ever recommends meat as being "very lean" I avoid it, as to me that means "very tasteless".

Could live without much sugar though. Always interested to see those archaeology programmes where they investigate some poor sod they've dug up who had his skull bashed in back in the stone age. They always have great teeth, as sugar hardly existed then, except in natural forms in fruit, etc.

ExXB
9th Jan 2014, 17:44
Rgbrock1, that's OK with me. As a T1 diabetic I know the obscene amounts of added sugar processed foods contain. I'm often surprised at my high blood sugar levels after indulging. Thank goodness I can cope with it much better than in the past.

When you think about it why are you drinking that beverage when you have to sweeten it to be palatable?

SpringHeeledJack
9th Jan 2014, 17:56
Always interested to see those archaeology programmes where they investigate some poor sod they've dug up who had his skull bashed in back in the stone age. They always have great teeth, as sugar hardly existed then, except in natural forms in fruit, etc.

Nature equipped us with good strong incisors and molars so that we could eviscerate our prey on capture, without them we were dead. Apart from sporadic and seasonal fruit sugars, the diet would have been decidedly sugar free. It always amazes me when reportages are shown concerning Africa and it's starving people, they all seem to have wonderfully white straight teeth, when the overfed nation's citizens often sport ugly diseased gnashers.

BBC News - Sugar: Five foods surprisingly high in sugar (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25666556)

SHJ

vulcanised
9th Jan 2014, 19:54
I was going to make jokes about health warnings on plain sweet packets and sweets only being available to over 18s etc., but I see this sort of thing being seriously suggested by 'campaigners' :ugh:

I'm more than a little sick of these people who can, and do, interfere with my life. They're not satisfied with choice, they want their choice alone to be what everyone has to have.

M.Mouse
9th Jan 2014, 19:59
What I find inexcusable is how food manufacturers have gradually increased sugar levels to absurd and damaging levels.

Some years ago I stopped drinking carbonated drinks almost entirely because they are unbearably sweet. The only one that wasn't was Orangina which comprised carbonated water and orange pulp with almost no additives of any description and then I drank an Orangina one day a few years ago and it tasted far sweeter than I remembered. I looked at the label and, yup, they had started adding sugar to it!

When you look at the disgusting size of drinks now available for purchase in cinemas, McDonalds, etc. you don't have to be a scientist to see where it is all leading. I make up my own mind but what about children developing a liking for absurdly sweet drinks?

tony draper
9th Jan 2014, 20:05
All my life I have taken three spoofuls of sugar in me tea and coffee,I devour cream cakes by the lorry load and chocolates by the ton yet I am the same weight now as I was the day I left school many years ago in the olden days.
:rolleyes:

superq7
9th Jan 2014, 20:15
Tony one word WORMS :E (only kidding )

G-CPTN
9th Jan 2014, 21:25
As a yoof I took several spoons of sugar with my hot drink (usually instant coffee) and several spoons of sugar on cereals (I used to fill the shredded wheat).
When we moved to Denmark I heeded the 'warnings' (and the cost of sugar) and stopped adding sugar.

Can't say I miss it - and I frequently find some foodstuffs too sweet for my liking.

B Fraser
9th Jan 2014, 21:48
The comparison is utter tosh. There is no safe level of tobacco consumption whereas a spoonful of honey on your porridge does you the world of good. Birds, bees and butterflies gorge themselves on liquid sugar in the form of nectar all day long and they thrive on it. They probably have no teeth left but that's beside the point.

500N
9th Jan 2014, 21:57
The "Standard NATO" was coffee or tea, milk and two sugars !!!

"When we moved to Denmark I heeded the 'warnings' (and the cost of sugar) and stopped adding sugar."

Cost of sugar ?

The cost has dropped alot in the last few years over here, $2 for 2kgs, $3 for 3kg. Part of price war between the supermarkets.

superq7
9th Jan 2014, 22:09
For me Tea with sugar yuck, coffee without sugar horrid, I find lots of people the same as me :ok:

Tankertrashnav
9th Jan 2014, 22:20
All my life I have taken three spoofuls of sugar in me tea and coffee,I devour cream cakes by the lorry load and chocolates by the ton yet I am the same weight now as I was the day I left school many years ago in the olden days.
:rolleyes:

Yes, so you keep telling us - bastard! :*

;)

probes
10th Jan 2014, 08:22
Always interested to see those archaeology programmes where they investigate some poor sod they've dug up who had his skull bashed in back in the stone age. They always have great teeth, as sugar hardly existed then, except in natural forms in fruit, etc.
don't bet on it, Tanker.

The Paleo (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/news/paleo-diet) diet (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/news/diet/) mantra is that you should eat unprocessed foods in a bid to live as virtuously as our hunter-gatherer cavemen ancestors did - so that means absolutely no sugar, processed meat and simple carbs.
But there's no getting around human nature, and the fact is that our predecessors were sugar-whores long before the arrival of fizzy drinks and chocolate bars.
New findings have revealed that eating acorns and pine nuts - the caveman equivalent of junk food - caused tooth decay.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1547640/thumbs/o-ACORNS-AND-PINE-NUTS-570.jpg?8

Teeth from 52 skeletons dating back between 13,700 and 15,000 years showed evidence of widespread decay, with only three individuals showing no sign of cavities.
The Paleo Diet: Discovery Of Caveman 'Junk Food' That Rotted Their Teeth Casts Doubt On Healthy Diet (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/07/paleo-diet-is-it-healthy_n_4553591.html)

onetrack
10th Jan 2014, 13:02
Alright! ... everybody stand back! - don't touch anything!! - and just give me the sugar!! ... and no-one gets hurt!! :suspect: :suspect:

I'm afraid a sweet tooth runs in my family. Can't have a cuppa unless it has two big spoons of White Death in it. I'd drink 8 or 10 cups of tea a day, and probably a litre or more of fresh juices as well. I'm still only average weight for my height and age.

Dad told me a story about his Dad. Grand-dad apparently had a pint pannikin for his morning cup of tea. Dad was about 7 and watched Grand-dad put spoon after spoon of sugar into the pint pannikin, just before WW1.
He made the mistake of counting them.
"Wow, Mum!! THIRTY TWO SPOONS!!, Dad yelled out. Grand-dad reached across the table and "THUMP!!" went a hand on Dads ear. "Mind your own business!", he said loudly.

Grand-dad was still fit and healthy at 83, having fathered 14 kids, with the last at age 65 .. but when he fell into a 20 foot deep, unmarked and unlit street excavation full of freezing water, at 5:00AM on his way to work - he contracted pneumonia, and died as result of it.

Who knows how long he'd have lived for, if that accident hadn't happened? - with his 32 spoons of White Death every morning, keeping him going?? :ooh: