PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ A320 Emergency Landing Melbourne

Rotor Work
9th Jan 2014, 09:44
Plane issues mayday, makes emergency landing in Melbourne | The Advocate (http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/2014622/plane-issues-mayday-makes-emergency-landing-in-melbourne/?cs=12)

An Air New Zealand A320 made an emergency landing at Melbourne Airport about 8pm Thursday night after reports of engine trouble and leaking fuel.
Auckland-bound Flight Z726 issued a mayday call soon after taking off at 7.48pm.

The plane took off over the northern suburbs and tracked east but banked sharply as it flew over the Dandenong Ranges, circling over the bay and returning to the airport.
MFB and CFA fire and rescue crews, along with Victoria police and AFP officers, raced to the runway as the plane circled.

Melbourne Airport spokeswoman Anna Gillett said the A320 landed safely and without reported injury.
‘‘We will be working with Air New Zealand for the comfort and the safety of their passengers.’’
The incident has not affected the airport’s operations or other flights.
Air New Zealand is expected to issue a statement about the incident shortly

mickjoebill
9th Jan 2014, 14:28
Engine problems force passenger plane to make emergency landing at Melbourne airport - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-09/passenger-plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-melbourne-airport/5193086)

One passenger says the flight had an unusual climb, while another passenger says he heard a barking noise from under the plane.

A dingo chasing a flying kangaroo…?

Earlier reports also suggested the plane issued a mayday call. A "pant pant pant" call would have been more appropriate:8

Mickjoebill

Pom Pax
9th Jan 2014, 15:08
I learn of this incident from ABC 24 News, the link posted by mickjoebill misses out important information that was in the televised version.

The flight departed about an hour late.

Pax 2 The screens went blank

Pax 3 I saw the wing dip that was when we must have lost the engine

Several Pax We weren't told anything

Note Pax 1 was the doggie lady.

Gemini Twin
9th Jan 2014, 16:38
I didn't get the Auckland comedians jokes in the first story!

cavemanzk
9th Jan 2014, 17:04
It was ZK-OJC which is around 12 years old

Torqueman
9th Jan 2014, 19:27
I'm pretty sure they are handled by JHAS in Melbourne.
Well at least for a little longer anyway. They had another clean out making a heap of people redundant again last night. I'd be surprised if they have enough people left to support any contracts soon.

falconx
9th Jan 2014, 19:48
Last time I checked 1 engineer per aircraft regardless of any issues

Moony123
9th Jan 2014, 20:26
One passenger says the flight had an unusual climb, while another passenger says he heard a barking noise from under the plane.

Likely to be the PTU assuming they had an engine failure!

Torqueman
9th Jan 2014, 20:33
....and the cabin crew had an unusual accent.

Sump Monkey
9th Jan 2014, 20:42
Initial reports indicate the dedicated PMG power supply for the EEC(FADEC) failed, causing a fault in the EEC that prevented it being powered from the A/C power supply. With no FADEC power, the engine will shutdown.

framer
9th Jan 2014, 21:18
Can any of you computer literate folk post a radar track of the flight path?
Any idea's of what the ATIS was says in at the time?
On an A320, does the PTU work at all stages of flight with an engine fail or is it for flap extension?

Going Nowhere
9th Jan 2014, 21:37
framer,

ZK-OJC ? 09-Jan-2014 ? YMML / MEL - NZAA / AKL ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ZKOJC/history/20140109/0730Z/YMML/NZAA)

You'll have to zoom in a bit on the map, but you should get the track.

Flight Track Log ? ZK-OJC ? 09-Jan-2014 ? YMML / MEL - NZAA / AKL ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ZKOJC/history/20140109/0730Z/YMML/NZAA/tracklog)

This will show the tracking data.

Wally Mk2
9th Jan 2014, 22:34
Took off just after these guys last night, they didn't muck around getting the Mayday call out in rapid fire.
ATC got all A/C coming into ML to slow down as the drome was now closed due the emerg, bit like don't know how long for but don't call us we'll call you. ML had rwy 27 out of service due works as well. Saw these guys sitting on taxiway J facing east meaning they came off the rwy (34) so am assuming here (as I didn't see this early event) that they started their ride from full length Rwy34 (we all did) & pulled the plug exited onto J waited there for a while adjusted their fur lined gum boots :E then had another go at getting back to sheep country only to spit out that Mayday not long after. The rejected T/off (assuming) or even a decision to get off the rwy due sumfin' NQR may or may not have had anything to do with the eng failure/fuel leak but it's likely.
I bet the fireries got excited real quick:-)

All good....phew:ok:

Wmk2

5coffee
10th Jan 2014, 06:05
No rejected take-off. Just warm brakes, spent a few mins on J cooling them before going.

Landed later without event on one engine.

I spy
10th Jan 2014, 06:43
You forgot the best bit!!!

"I really thought the wing was going to fall off..."

:ugh:

I swear these "journalists" scour all the pax and just select the most sensational ones.

Waiting for the day they report "I wasn't worried. I mean these things are designed to be able to fly on one engine..."........said no pax EVER!!!

500N
10th Jan 2014, 06:47
I spy

Yes, I did laugh when I heard the passenger say that.

Agree re the journos, they just keep asking until they
get a suitably stupid response.

RobShan
10th Jan 2014, 07:31
The media makes money by selling stories not facts; generally no problems equals no sales, but just to show it's not always like that.

http://www.adn.com/2013/10/30/3149712/delta-air-flight-from-tokyo-to.htm (http://www.adn.com/2013/10/30/3149712/delta-air-flight-from-tokyo-to.html)l

Once off the plane, passengers lit cigarettes and started taking pictures despite the 20 mph wind and intermittent rain, Richardson said.

Most spoke English, he said. They wore light coats, some of the women scarves, though temperatures hovered around 40 degrees.

Nobody talked about the engine trouble that caused the stopover, although one male passenger said the unplanned landing was the best decision given the situation.

"They were the nicest people you'd wanna meet," Richardson said. "They were not disgruntled. None of 'em felt put out."

ASY68
10th Jan 2014, 07:53
It was only a local standby though, no MFB and no VICPOL, AFP and ARFF attended. Aircraft vacated on E, held short of S, contacted the Fire Chief and after confirmation they did not have a fuel leak or engine damage they proceeded to D3.

Aircraft was in the JHAS hanger this morning.

http://i39.tinypic.com/14obupg.jpg

Kiwiconehead
10th Jan 2014, 08:34
If I am ever interviewed after an incident I will be describing the aliens beaming into the aircraft and the massive blue flash and how the aircraft pitched up and down as the elephant ran up and down the aisle.

You can't keep it secret forever

pistinaround
10th Jan 2014, 08:56
Nice to see the old observation deck in the back ground pity no one will ever be allowed up there again due to the nanny state politics we now all have to suffer !

500N
10th Jan 2014, 09:20
A long time since I have been up there.

wheels_down
10th Jan 2014, 09:40
http://i39.tinypic.com/14obupg.jpg
Whats the new terminal at the back there? New checkin area/shopping area or something else??

pistinaround
10th Jan 2014, 10:09
Let's rename the thread "reopen the Melbourne airport observation deck"
Sydney even has one at international with an outside bar below !
Come one Melbourne !

ruddman
10th Jan 2014, 15:16
Wow....reading the online news report, then looking at the photo of the aircraft, I expected to see a wing hanging down, bits and pieces falling off it, panels missing. :ugh:

Anyway, more important stuff......the observation deck!! That was a MUST do any time mum and dad went to the airport to pick up or drop off friends.

Yet strangely, didnt they build a spotters area outside the airport perimeter parallel with the north/south rwy?

I'm sure all it needs is a good clean.

500N
10th Jan 2014, 15:59
You have that parking area on the Sunbury Road at the end of one runway
that I believe some people stop, park and watch from.

ruddman
10th Jan 2014, 16:56
Yeah I've been to that one. Actually, I think there is parking areas both ends. The south end is cool when a strong northerly blowing and they using the Essendon 34 visual. Exciting stuff watching em 'chuck a right' for a short final.

I thought the airport people had built though a spotters area just to the west of the fence? Maybe only had plans for it. Can only give the 'nerds' so much eh.

500N
10th Jan 2014, 19:23
I really wouldn't know. I like to get in and out of Melbourne airport as fast as possible when taking a trip.

The place (the design of outside, roads, car parks etc) is a nightmare,
some architects should be shot.

Wally Mk2
10th Jan 2014, 21:08
If the thieves who own/run ML Airport could charge $$$ for that viewing area/deck it would be open in a flash!

ML Airports layout was behind the 8 ball from day one in 1970. It's infrastructure was outdated & the hydrant fuel system was designed for B707/DC8 machines of the day so at International the bay layout was already obsolete with the new B747 coming online, some of the hydrant pits where useless & every 2nd bay was unusable due the size of the Jumbo jets about to hit the skies.
ML Airport is a shambles all round!:ugh:

Wmk2

waren9
10th Jan 2014, 22:08
You have that parking area on the Sunbury Road at the end of one runway
that I believe some people stop, park and watch from.

complete with the mobile coffee and mr whippy vans too ive noticed!

popular spot. often get a wave landing on 16

500N
10th Jan 2014, 23:32
Wow, we are going upmarket :O

I hardly drive on that road and when flying am more often than not
fast asleep, like last Sunday when they lady next to me elbowed me
(with my permission) to wake me up and say we have landed, just
as we were taxying up to the gate.

So I hardly ever get to look out of the window at it.

ruddman
12th Jan 2014, 04:09
Since when is Mr Whippy upmarket? :p

C441
12th Jan 2014, 06:30
I hardly drive on that road and when flying am more often than not
fast asleep, like last Sunday when they lady next to me elbowed me
(with my permission) to wake me up and say we have landed, just
as we were taxying up to the gate.

....and sometimes the F/O elbows me before we land. :ok:

500N
12th Jan 2014, 09:00
C441

As long as us passengers don't know ;) :O

Worst time I ever fell asleep was on the ramp of a C-130, I was last on in a tactical training situation, of course stuff and people everywhere so plonked backside down. fell asleep on the nice warm ramp as did a couple of others
and got a kick to wake up and move off ramp as we came in to land at Laverton. I couldn't move, my whole body had frozen stiff. When I learnt how cold it really is outside at XXXXX thousand feet :rolleyes:

After that, no complaints about civilian airliners :O

The Big E
13th Jan 2014, 04:58
[Aircraft was in the JHAS hanger this morning.]

Are you dealing in coat hangers. There has never been an "e" in hangar.

John Citizen
13th Jan 2014, 07:50
Yess, Eye also sawe it inn thee hanger thise morning :p