PDA

View Full Version : SPEED WITH GUY MARTIN

TURIN
9th Jan 2014, 09:30
OK, I know we're not supposed to discuss TV programs here, but as this does have an aviation link, sod it.

Human pedal powered flight record attempt. (http://road.cc/content/news/106193-guy-martin-back-bike-human-and-pedal-powered-flight-record-bid-video)

Guy Martin is, quite obviously mad as a fish but you have to admire his guts. Previous speed attempts saw him cycling at 116mph behind a lorry and then riding a motorbike over water for 63metres!

UK TV Channel 4 12th January 20:00hrs.

Enjoy.

david1300
9th Jan 2014, 09:45
Hope we see I here in Aussie too. Guy Martin - what a character - just wish he spoke English so I could understand him ;) :D

TURIN
9th Jan 2014, 10:26
Caco, that 'turn of death' used to scare the bejeesus out of me when I first started flying hang-gliders. The first 360 turn really caught me out. Going from almost nil grounspeed into wind then 25mph then back down to almost nil again took a few attempts. I bottled out so many times. :ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Jan 2014, 11:06
It's only a 'turn of death' if you let the increased groundspeed fool you into reducing your airspeed dangerously. Or, if hill soaring, the downwind dash smashes you into the hill!

If matey takes off into a 35kt wind then executes a shallow 180 turn to a downwind heading while maintaining his airspeed, he'll be just fine (as long as there are no obstacles in his way!).

racedo
9th Jan 2014, 12:50
Saw Guy a couple of months ago on a IOM TT special and he came across as a bit of a prat because of his attitude. Skilled and gifted but with a chip.

Saw the first program and enjoyed it, saw only a bit of second but comes across as a larger than life character with a bit of personality who is really really passionate about what he is doing.

It really is great to see someone passionate in what they are doing because so many TV programs are done lack any of this on a subject.

In a way you could almost see him joining Top Gear because he would fit right in.

Cpt_Pugwash
9th Jan 2014, 13:09
"It really is great to see someone passionate in what they are doing because so many TV programs are done lack any of this on a subject."

It is for that reason that may people are calling him a worthy successor to the late Fred Dibnah. Early days yet but he has potential.:)

TURIN
9th Jan 2014, 15:48
The programs he did last year on some very odd engineering restorations certainly fit the Dibnah mould.

Barcli
9th Jan 2014, 16:00
Top bloke - but I know what you mean about attitude - then I guess he just rebells against authority - says what he thinks and it is seen as " attitude"

RedhillPhil
9th Jan 2014, 16:00
Poetry in motion.............

How to out run a helicopter on a GSXR 1000 Superbike by Guy Martin - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbaO8mzByvw&feature=player_detailpage#t=29)

rans6andrew
13th Jan 2014, 15:39
Guy Martin, a man powered by TEA!

So many of the shots in the programmes show him holding a large insulated tea mug and there is frequent references to getting a cuppa.

Good for him.

Rans6.............

Tankertrashnav
13th Jan 2014, 16:09
OK, I know we're not supposed to discuss TV programs here,

I think the original intention was that the Mods didn't want people posting about what Sharon said to Tracey on East Enders, etc (as if!). Don't see any problem about programmes like this and others which interest many here on JB

I still think they should restore the ROE to the top of the page as a sticky though

SpringHeeledJack
13th Jan 2014, 17:10
The content of yesterday evening's programme was definitely aviation themed with a side order of engineering and creativity, so passes the litmus test :8

SHJ

skua
13th Jan 2014, 17:24
Whilst Guy is a bit of a marmite character, it was also uplifting to see the energy of the young students of Soton's aeronautics department who did all the heavylifting (well not that heavy, but you know what I mean) behind the scenes.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Jan 2014, 11:21
Just watched the man-powered flight episode. He's determined, innit!

But.... they did 29mph IAS, but only 19mph over the ground, and the record was 27mph? Surely it's airspeed that counts in any flying speed record, not speed over the ground which is wind dependent?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Jan 2014, 11:35
Tethering it makes it a kite, not an aeroplane, so ineligible for the record. :)

Barcli
17th Jan 2014, 06:03
My understanding SSD was that they didn't break the record but just very pleased it got airborne ....

talkpedlar
17th Jan 2014, 07:56
...we need more like Guy Martin... driven, determined, selfless and good-humoured too..worth a hundred of the hidebound, illiterate, thieving wasters who fill our magistrates courts every morning.

Bless him.. I hope he gives-up bike racing soon, I watched him in the TT a couple of years ago and he scared me sh:mad:less!

Cheers, TP

TURIN
17th Jan 2014, 09:44
worth a hundred of the hidebound, illiterate, thieving wasters who fill our magistrates courts every morning.

Not to mention the accused. :E

skua
17th Jan 2014, 13:01
Turin! Take him down!

ericlday
17th Jan 2014, 13:57
If you get a chance watch 'Closer to The Edge' in which he is shown in IOM TT race. Cannot remember which year but he has an horrendous fireball accident and looking at the scenes he is lucky to still be with us.

avoman
17th Jan 2014, 18:20
The 2010 TT was featured in Closer To The Edge. Guy Martin became the perhaps unexpected star of this superb feature. When the camera is on him he simply says what he thinks, or perhaps what he feels without first thinking about it! Delightful and quite funny.

TURIN
26th Oct 2014, 20:21
Series 2

Can ya ride tandem?