PDA

View Full Version : Standby in blocks

pilotidiot
9th Jan 2014, 07:49
I would like to hear how the standby's are planned in different airlines.

- Do you have standby blocks?
- How long are the blocks 3-5-14-30 days?
- What about off days in such a block?

Most important - What do you as a pilot think about the stnadby's?

I will use it to come with a new proposal for how we make standby's at our company!

macdo
9th Jan 2014, 15:21
UK Charter Airline.
We have either individual SBY usually for 6hrs, does vary sometimes. These are protected by our union agreement and restrict the duties that you can be called for. We also have a monthly limited number of Block SBY 2-5 days where you are less protected from tours. Occasionally, we have Contactable for 2 hours, where you will be advised of a future duty or roster change.
Your liability to be called varies by base, type, seat and time of year. Personally, I get called about twice a year.

wiggy
9th Jan 2014, 15:37
UK Longhaul

We do three week Reserve blocks, where the daily need is to be contactable by telephone for a couple of hours in the evening for possible notification of duties the next day (A trip, a standby duty or formal notification of a day or two days off with no contact requirement - to comply with Duty Limitations).

"Standby" for us is on call on the end of the phone, with a requirement to be at the airport in two hours or less. They usually last 8-12 hours ..or until the telephone rings...:ooh:

Reserve blocks come round perhaps every year or two.

heavy.airbourne
10th Jan 2014, 08:43
Standby usually 21-24 hrs. In a row, starting at either 6am or 9am LT, to be on the job within 1 hour after being called. Followed by a "Reserve 13" scheme, which means you being contactable around the clock. Quite often, the "reserve" will be switched to another standby, meaning you being on call for 48 hours. A few times this has been stretched to 72 hours standby. All with union approval! :yuk:

Denti
10th Jan 2014, 10:43
In "my" outfit standbys are planned in blocks from 1 to 5 days depending on how many pilots per fleet are based at that airport. Longer blocks for more pilots. If a four of five day block is planned two mandatory off days have to follow it. Standby means that the pilot is contactable up to 16 hours a day, between two consecutive standby duties at least eight hours of rest/sleep time has to be rostered in which the company cannot contact the pilot. Reaction time is one hour from callout until the start of the duty. Each standby duty has a number next to it (S1 to S6) which denotes the maximum length of duty that can be done out of that standby, S1 means that the pilot has to be back at base the same day, S5 at the end of the fifth day, S6 is special in that only longhaul duties longer than five days can be done out of that, not shorthaul or shorter duties, can only planned a few times per year. How big that figure can be is determined by the planned standard rotations that leave the base that day. If the longest rotation is just two days, no S3-6 can be planned.

Additionally there is reserve which means the pilot is contactable 24 hours, has to be home by 07:00 the following day. The duty has to start on the reserve day. Reaction time is six hour for this duty and only a limited number may be planned per year. Therefore the earliest duty can start at 06:00 and the latest call out can be done at 17:59.

binsleepen
10th Jan 2014, 23:30
Wiggy

Reserve blocks come round perhaps every year or two. Or 5 times in one year if you are a new joiner

Regards

Calmcavok
11th Jan 2014, 00:59
The company I'm with roster you one month of reserve per 10 months (more if you're on the "other" fleet). Can and often roster a sby day before a ULR.

All my previous airlines have rostered sby days into the monthly roster leading to a life of uncertainty. I much prefer the block system.

wiggy
11th Jan 2014, 07:28
binsleepin

5 times in one year if you are a new joiner

Probably a conversation for another place- I can only speak for longhaul at a certain airline whose work allocation is based on a Bid and a Line :rolleyes: ...have to say five times a year sounds a bit unusual...