PDA

View Full Version : Falling Only Makes Us Stronger

rgbrock1
8th Jan 2014, 15:55
Mom taught me from an early age that after a fall, you get right back up on your own two feet and do it again. And keep doing it to you get it right. Mom's been gone for many years now but this invaluable lesson has stuck with me for my entire life. It has been one of my guiding principles.

Thank you Mom. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57e4t-fhXDs

tony draper
8th Jan 2014, 16:19
A side effect of the means of locomotion our species had thrust upon it,we are bipeds, we move forward by a controlled fall walking we fall forward this is checked just in time by our rear leg moving forward and restoring a modicum of balance before we fall forward again,again checked by the rear leg,we hover constantly on the edge of disaster,ie bashing our central processing unit(our noggin) on the ground.
Quadrupedal locomotion is a much more sensible and safe arrangement,even knuckle walking in the manner of the great apes is more logical.
Perhaps that is why we see many of the young our own species returning to walking the streets on their knuckles these day.
:rolleyes:

defizr
8th Jan 2014, 16:54
Falling out of the bath put me on crutches for six months :(

con-pilot
8th Jan 2014, 17:13
Due to the weakness of my left leg getting weaker as I get older, I've pretty well have come an expert on falling. It is not for amateurs when one becomes my age. :p

radeng
8th Jan 2014, 17:15
Agree wholeheartedly on that, Con.

rgbrock1
8th Jan 2014, 17:20
con:

I feel your pain. Although I don't make a habit of falliing both my knees are getting worse as I get older. On some days it's painful even to take steps out of bed. (Comes from jumping out of too many perfectly flyable aircraft or helos.)

But I get by. Somehow. :ok:

TomJoad
8th Jan 2014, 17:35
rgbrock1,

That is such a great video, really inspirational. I'm going to use in class - too many of our kids won't stretch themselves for fear of failing. Thanks for posting it.

Tom

11Fan
8th Jan 2014, 22:13
Thank God for Mom's. I remember that we couldn't afford a Nurse to drop me on my head when I was a baby so my Mom did it.

MagnusP
9th Jan 2014, 10:27
Apart from the usual bumped head and skinned knees or elbows as a kid, I got off reasonably lightly with the falling-over thing until a few years ago when I tripped in the street, hands in pockets, and ripped ten shades of wossname out of my right rotator cuff. On a mission of mercy, too. I was walking along to the local Chinese takeaway for a bowl of hot and sour soup for MrsP who had a rotten cold. :sad:

Most broken bones have been in my hands (karate accidents), but I once split a bone in my heel. THAT one was painful.

500N
9th Jan 2014, 10:30
"I remember that we couldn't afford a Nurse to drop me on my head when I was a baby so my Mom did it."

I managed to fall off a wall and split the skull good and proper.

Then the old leg break, operation.

And a few twisted and torn things since.

Yep, thank god for mum's, not appreciated by me early enough.

wings folded
9th Jan 2014, 12:11
Mom taught me from an early age that after a fall, you get right back up on your own two feet and do it again
She taught you to fall over again, rgb?:E
Mine was a little more clever, I think, and tried to teach me not to fall over again.
She was not always successful, because, having a handicap , different but similar to conpilot's, I am in the international rankings for falling over, but you do get quite good at doing it. Hardest part is when folk believe that have overindulged in knee weakening beverages, and pour scorn on you while you are on the floor. Doesn't help even one tiny bit.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Jan 2014, 13:12
Had loads of falls and other impact trauma as a younger person, but just bounced right back and carried on. Remember going to parties and beer fests with a broken arm, broken ribs, broken collar bone or whatever had been dinged that day, giving the ntombezaan a good seeing to when we got back then dropping by the chancre mechanic a day or two later to get the now discoloured bits looked at. I was pretty bullet proof with a high tolerance for pain.

All that changed when I hit 40 and it all turned to rat shit. Seems those old injuries just ganged up on me and made me creaky and sore pretty much all the time. Like Mr Rock, there are some mornings when putting weight on my feet is an arse clenching experience.:uhoh:

pigboat
9th Jan 2014, 13:22
It is not for amateurs when one becomes my age.

Connie, growing old is not for the faint of heart. That's not the exact quote, but it's close enough for Government work. ;)

OFSO
9th Jan 2014, 13:27
Mrs OFSO fell down the stairs at her mum's house just before Christmas. The day after, she fell into the cupboard BELOW the stairs while getting the Chrissy Decorations out from miles and miles deep down inside. And the door shut after her. She says neither experience has made her stronger (damaged knees, torn rotator in shoulder) but she did think up some new cuss words while lying in the cupboard.

pigboat
9th Jan 2014, 16:26
She says neither experience has made her stronger (damaged knees, torn rotator in shoulder) but she did think up some new cuss words while lying in the cupboard.
See, it wasn't a total loss after all. :p

teeteringhead
9th Jan 2014, 16:50
Old age ain't no place for sissies. Bette Davis

Hydromet
9th Jan 2014, 20:23
The rule with our kids was always "No blood, no sympathy."

Pinky the pilot
10th Jan 2014, 01:41
'Fell out of the sky' one fine morning about 22 years ago and amongst a few other things, suffered an unstable compression fracture of the 1st lumbar vertebra. My Mum's comment when she finally saw me was something like
'Well, that was a bloody silly thing to do wasn't it, Son?'

The pain never goes away completely but I've trained myself to block it out of my mind for part of the day. I have had the occasional accidental tumble over the years since but try to take care when walking etc as falling is extremely painful.:ooh:

The Stones said it best in the opening line of 'Mother's litle helper;'
What a drag it is getting old!

To which I would say yes it is, but it also beats the alternative!:ok:

Mothers are generally fairly right, aren't they rgbrock1!
How are ya btw?

rgbrock1
10th Jan 2014, 15:50
Pinky:

Doing well, doing well thank you.

And, yes, Mothers are generally correct/right. Definitely. :ok:

(On the other hand, we have Mothers-in-Law. And with a specfici MiL in mind I can resolutely state that some mothers are wrong ALL the time.)

PLovett
10th Jan 2014, 21:01
Given the theme of the opening post video I had to post the following.

Just how close to falling (and possible death) is one person prepared to go.

Franz Klammer's Gold Medal Run - Innsbruck 1976 - YouTube

For me, it is one of the most incredible sporting achievements I have seen.

G-CPTN
10th Jan 2014, 21:23
What a shame that they didn't have helmet cams back then.