PDA

View Full Version : How to shoplift

crewmeal
8th Jan 2014, 09:33
I've seen it all now. Channel 4 in their documentary 'Benefits Street' some low life wrapping silver foil around a carrier bag and when stuck together puts it inside another carrier.

No wonder the police have been inundated with complaints

Backlash over TV lessons in how to shoplift: Flood of complaints triggers police probe into Channel 4 documentary | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2535138/Star-controversial-Channel-4-series-Benefits-Street-police-bail-following-drugs-raid-home.html)

Lon More
8th Jan 2014, 10:19
Channel 4 said it had received around 100 complaints and Ofcom is thought to have received a similar number.
Viewers were concerned about how crime and benefits claimants were portrayed in the programme, which had an audience of 4.3million.

Hardly a flood, and no mention of the number the police received.

I'm sure anybody who is interested knew all about the reported tricks and scams years ago so just theFail whipping up the blue-rinse set into righteous indignation.

Can't understand why anybody would want to watch such rubbish anyway. a less stressful alternative is to turn the tv off

tony draper
8th Jan 2014, 10:31
Many years ago when even the micky mouse local TV news got gear small enough to do outside broadcasts like the big boys there was a case where a couple of teens were rushed to hospital from the effects of eating magic mushrooms they found in the local park.
So in their keenness to do their civic duty and keep we yokels informed, the camera team and fearless reporter go to said local park to the area said youngsters found said mushrooms,pan camera around as fearless reporter chunders on about the dangers of magic mushrooms so now everybody and every teen within twenty miles knows exactly where to look,the park keeper told me they had to call the police armed with dogs that night to deal with the 500 teens that had turned up and clambered over the fence that night after the park had closed seeking mushroom oblivion.
Feckwits
:suspect:

onetrack
8th Jan 2014, 12:02
Anyone who watches "Shameless" (the British show) will get more info on welfare scams, shoplifting, drug-dealing, general thuggery, every low-life scam in the book, and the lives of the morally-debased "welfare set" who live on scummy council estates, than any instructional video could ever do. :)

Tankertrashnav
8th Jan 2014, 13:17
Forget shoplifting and substitute tips on how to detect radar speed traps or technicalities on how to avoid prosecution for various motoring offences, and Mr Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, who is so outraged at this programme, will sit up and take notice and maybe make a few notes.

Class divisions apply in law-breaking too!

Dushan
8th Jan 2014, 14:23
Forget shoplifting and substitute tips on how to detect radar speed traps or technicalities on how to avoid prosecution for various motoring offences, and Mr Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, who is so outraged at this programme, will sit up and take notice and maybe make a few notes.

Class divisions apply in law-breaking too!

Is it unlawful to detect radar traps (aren't there signs saying 'speed enforced by radar') or avoid prosecution for anything, not just motoring alleged offenses?

Lon More
8th Jan 2014, 14:37
Is it unlawful to detect radar traps

Radar detectors are illegal in most places but available on most sat navs and there are plenty of apps available for mobile phones which give their locations.
edited to add - although these are also illegal in France and Switzerland

Checkboard
8th Jan 2014, 14:56
OK - I pulled the show up on 4OD to see what the fuss was about. Fast forward through to the scene in question:

Numnut takes the clothes tag and bashes it against steel seat bar until it falls apart. :suspect:

Now that's hardly a criminal mastermind demonstrating safe-breaking techniques is it? :rolleyes: The only idiots complaining about that are those who have never heard of that little thing called "the internet" :rolleyes:

How to crack a safe without any tools?! - YouTube

How to Open a Padlock with a Coke Can - YouTube

Pick a Lock in SECONDS with a Bump Key - Scam School - YouTube

How to remove a security sensor (ink/magnetic) - YouTube

How to remove anti theft tag from clothes with a magnet - YouTube

Tankertrashnav
8th Jan 2014, 15:57
Dushan et al - My point remains. Whilst radar warning devices may not be illegal, the only reason I am aware of that anyone would install one is to enable them to break speed limits, except where there are radar speed detectors around. If you can think of any other reason to own or use one, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Some people seem to think that shoplifting is wrong (and as a former shopkeeper I most certainly do), but think that motoring laws should not apply to them, as of course they are extremely safe drivers!

PTT
8th Jan 2014, 16:10
Whilst radar warning devices may not be illegal, the only reason I am aware of that anyone would install one is to enable them to break speed limitsHow does it do that? The speed camera will still catch you if you are speeding. The only reason I can think of for fitting one is to be sure you are under the speed limit when a camera is on you, which is entirely legal and the very point of cameras!

Checkboard
8th Jan 2014, 16:50
The radar sends out a signal, of which about 30% bounces back to the detector to determine the speed... the other 70% of the signal flies off down the road, setting off all of the detectors that are in range of receiving it, but are still out of range of being detected - giving them time to slow down before getting caught.

Krystal n chips
8th Jan 2014, 17:17
" Anyone who watches "Shameless" (the British show) will get more info on welfare scams, shoplifting, drug-dealing, general thuggery, every low-life scam in the book, and the lives of the morally-debased "welfare set" who live on scummy council estates, than any instructional video could ever do

Well obviously !.....after all, we can all select from birth, if not before, where and into what social environments we are borne into. And again, id duly stands to reason that all council tenants are living on, to quote the eloquent and myopic stereotype bigotry " scummy council estates"....in contrast say, to those neat gated and decidedly selective developments whose denizens, are, of course, the perfect model citizens....

The fact that many have exactly the same morally debased, drink and drugs ( purely for recreational use you understand, mwah ! ) lifestyles, and the odd spot of domestic violence as an aside, plus, being in their eyes, beyond the law as it applies to others not so fortunate to have their wealth is possibly a rather inconvenient morsel for you to swallow.

Romeo Oscar Golf
8th Jan 2014, 18:17
I agree with PTT...........cripes must sit down and rest:O

rotornut
8th Jan 2014, 21:30
I once saw a program where they had 2 professional car thieves demonstrating how to steal a car using a vehicle provided by the producers. It took about 45 seconds from opening the door with vicegrips, producing an ignition key cut using a device in the thieves' car, and starting and driving off. It was pretty easy if you had the proper tools. Fortunately now that cars are much more sophisticated it would not be easy.

Dushan
8th Jan 2014, 22:24
Radar detectors are illegal in most places but available on most sat navs and there are plenty of apps available for mobile phones which give their locations.
edited to add - although these are also illegal in France and Switzerland

I didn't say anything about detectors. I asked if it was illegal to detect where the traps are. If I pass one on the highway and remember that spot, for future trips, I have detected it and will use it to my advantage, just like it is there to be used for the tax collectors' advantage. Win-win.

awblain
8th Jan 2014, 22:34
In the UK, I believe that radar detectors are legal, radar jammers are not.

If your favorite choice of high-value shoplifter thinks that a roll of tinfoil will protect them from the RFI tag, then they might be deluding themselves. RFI tag makers are likely smarter than the tinfoil operators.

TWT
9th Jan 2014, 00:40
Fortunately now that cars are much more sophisticated it would not be easyYep.That's why they now break into your house to steal the keys you left on the kitchen or hallway table.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rotornut
9th Jan 2014, 14:33
How true. My neighbours had a Porsche and a Land Rover stolen that way.

PTT
9th Jan 2014, 14:43
Checkboard - I know how the kit works (r squared and all that), I was asking how it allowed you to speed. It doesn't. It prevents you from speeding by slowing you down before you get to the camera, thereby enforcing the law.

500N
9th Jan 2014, 14:57
The one thing that always gives away a shop lifter is the eyes.

Regardless of how good they are at 1. selection (of goods) and 2. placement (hiding them), at some point they will look up and or around regardless of head position.

Human nature.

sitigeltfel
9th Jan 2014, 15:54
Speed cameras are very easy to spot here. Just look for the charred smoking stump of metal and plastic.