PDA

View Full Version : Are folks on here familiar with Belarc?

Loose rivets
8th Jan 2014, 06:49
I plugged it in trying to find my Key as in my thread about a clean instal of W8.1 I couldn't find what I wanted, but jeeeeeepers, this program found out a lot about me.

The fact it could see the serial number of my 24" monitor was not that surprising, nor that it could see the Key to the existing W7 software, but what really got me was the record of my use of USB memory sticks. It even recorded the fact I'd booted in Ubuntu, and when. So that's being recorded without the aid of Windows.

I let it search the net overview on one occasion, and it didn't disappoint. Numbers and times. I'm an open book.

It took 20 mins to read the data it found about my almost empty machine. Unnerving.

Bushfiva
8th Jan 2014, 11:27
Belarc Advisor is pretty good. There are other auditing utilities that do much the same thing. All these utilities are very useful where the product ID you entered aeons ago isn't the one the application shows you in its properties: Belarc will show you the original product ID. Another utility I quite like backs up Windows validation, so if Windows unvalidates itself due to hardware changes, you can restore the validation.

Keef
8th Jan 2014, 11:34
It looks scary, but it's only reading stuff that's stored in various places in your computer.

It gives me a very bad score because I have the machine set up for remote access when on my travels, and because I don't install every update that comes from Microsoft (especially the ones known to cause problems).

I rely on a good modem/router with good security (Draytek 2860), Avast antivirus (which catches several incoming virus-laden posts most days), and an instinct not to connect to any website with a red rating on WOT.

Loose rivets
8th Jan 2014, 19:37
Nice man from the company answered my e- with a request for the page from my computer. I can't see any other 25 digit key other than the one in there, but now I'm drifting to the other thread so will go back there. Just that it seems credit is due when people respond like that.

ramanbadger
8th Jan 2014, 21:14
Rivits
if the PC is from a large manufacturer then any key you retrieve using Belarc won't work
the OS is activated / authorised by a combination of tables in the BIOS, key files on the machine, and a VOLUME OEM generic licence key
They key won't work without corresponding matching files.

Your choices are
a recovery DVD from the computer manufacturer
a full installation DVD with a new retail (not OEM/volume) key

Capn Bloggs
8th Jan 2014, 22:09
Another utility I quite like backs up Windows validation, so if Windows unvalidates itself due to hardware changes, you can restore the validation.
Well, out with it! Don't leave us jumping at the bait! Whatisit? :)

mixture
8th Jan 2014, 22:29
Another utility I quite like backs up Windows validation, so if Windows unvalidates itself due to hardware changes, you can restore the validation.

Hmm... sounds very fishy.

Windows doesn't unvalidate itself unless hardware changes are extreme.

Capn Bloggs
8th Jan 2014, 22:44
sounds very fishy.
I'm still jumping at the bait...

Loose rivets
12th Jan 2014, 20:48
Well, the nice man at Belarc came back with more information. Mr Badger has said much the same thing, but has put it even more clearly. Thanks Mr B.

I've split the post thread now, but I duplicate this statement in the other thread.

I'm only quoting, so it's yet to be confirmed. Words to the effect:

"Dell have relented, and are allowing customers the route to that Key."

It's my intention to prod Asus with this information in the hope of a change of policy. I will NOT travel the world without the key to my OS. Pity, I quite like my shard of metal.

I'll may well install the W8.1 MS subsidized to resolve this issue, and try to master an OS designed for girlies. :E But I shouldn't have to.:*