PDA

View Full Version : 'New' Airplane Repo

Evanelpus
7th Jan 2014, 13:25
Did anyone in the UK watch this last night?

Certainly quite different from the air conditioned environment of Nick Popovich from the last series but definitely cleverly editted to make it more entertainment than fact.

Loved the way the guy told the farmer his cattle were on the main road and whilst he went to investigate, his Cessna was flown away. To add insult to injury, the farmer was buzzed by his own aircraft as it was being repossessed.

Early doors but it looks like it could be easy viewing for a Monday night.

con-pilot
7th Jan 2014, 16:46
I've been watching this show over here for a while, while mildly entertaining, there is a lot of false drama in the show.

In one show a repossessed DH Beaver had to land on a glacier because the engine was overheating. Okay, I gues a radial engine can overheat in the winter in Alaska and not from an oil problem. As it was not an oil problem that caused the supposed overheting according to the show.

But the story line was that 'they were out of radio range due to valley they landed in. Great concern was express that if they could not fix the overheating problem before dark, they may have to spend the night and die from exposure.

Sounds a bit unnerving, no? Course the announcer telling the TV audience of this possible fatal event, totaly ingnored the helicopter that had been flying in fromation with the Beaver, that landed on the glacier before the Beaver landed to film the landing and then took off again to film the Beaver sitting on the glacier all alone.

Because obviously the helicopter could have;

A. Taken the guys on the stranded Beaver to safe place.

B. Called for help on the radio, because they could get into radio range of somebody.

So take the show with a grain of salt.

Dak Man
7th Jan 2014, 16:51
It's stage managed pants.

vaqueroaero
7th Jan 2014, 17:31
The whole show is made up. In one episode they repo a JetRanger. Funny thing is that the helicopter involved is owned by a company that I do work for and although it was repo'ed it is still in their hangar and available for charter..........

chiglet
7th Jan 2014, 21:47
Turned over after 15 mins. [email protected] immho

Daverb
22nd Jan 2014, 12:34
I quite like watching it, it's a good watch. Obviously some bits are a bit over the top but if you pause the show right at the end it says certain bits were dramatised and not to try anything yourself.

Bit worrying that every hanger door in the US is very easy to get into it seems.

Also that they jump in a plane and just take off without knowing its full airworthyness and without permission to take off. What if something is coming in to land as they are taking off?

Evanelpus
22nd Jan 2014, 12:38
Early doors but it looks like it could be easy viewing for a Monday night.

Two episodes further on, I have changed my mind, it's crap.:D

superq7
22nd Jan 2014, 14:43
My favourite program is Deadliest Catch it's not IMO staged managed sometimes the captains or crew actually have a fight with the camera crew brilliant !

New Season of Deadliest Catch : Discovery Channel (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/deadliest-catch/about-this-show/deadliest-catch-about.htm)

Dak Man
22nd Jan 2014, 15:02
Several years back I put a business proposition to Discovery Channel, History Channel, Carlisle Trucking, the owners of the Cornelia Marie, the Gold Rush crew and a logging crew to offer adventure holiday packages based around their programmes.

Few days with the loggers in Oregon, up to the Ice Rd. for a trip, then over to the Yukon for a few days with the Gold diggers before heading across to the Bering Sea for a week on board with the Deadliest Catch boys - or similar type of itinerary that could be tailored to one's needs / desires.

I thought it was genius and I had a UK travel agent on board for logistical support.

I never heard a dickie bird :(

Captivep
22nd Jan 2014, 15:57
It's hilarious!

I watched one the other night when they tried to repossess a citation. The owner then stole the logbook out of their car (cue histrionics) and then two months later they are filmed at the edge of a runway gesticulating at a landing citation which then then did a touch and go (cue even more histrionics)...

Not to mention the guy who flew a Cessna twin out of an airfield in Colorado with no radios, a car gps, very little fuel and the runway lights turned off...

Dak Man
22nd Jan 2014, 16:00
Not to mention the guy who flew a Cessna twin out of an airfield in Colorado with no radios, a car gps, very little fuel and the runway lights turned off...

......is there a problem with that?, that was SOP in the bush......

MG23
22nd Jan 2014, 16:13
Sounds a bit unnerving, no? Course the announcer telling the TV audience of this possible fatal event, totaly ingnored the helicopter that had been flying in fromation with the Beaver, that landed on the glacier before the Beaver landed to film the landing and then took off again to film the Beaver sitting on the glacier all alone.

Reminds me of a documentary I saw a few years ago about the horrors of high-altitude mountain climbing, which was making a lot of fuss about how sick the climbers were feeling in the thin air, but made no mention at all of the crew who not only had to climb up there, but also carry the camera and film them doing it.

Then again, I think the crew were locals, so it was probably like a Sunday afternoon stroll to them.