View Full Version : ATPL Instruments Question

Bengal
13th May 2002, 19:31
Came across this question in a Bristol feedback paper. I've got PPSC notes & can't see this defined anywhere.

During a semi-automatic landing

1. AP maintains glideslope until DH then disengages automatically

2. AT maintains speed until DH then disengages automatically

3. AP controls aircraft to 50ft but no FLARE is available

a.) 1 & 2
b.) 1
c.) 3
d.) 2 & 3

Am I missing something really obvious? Some clarification please lads. The paper I've got says correct answer is C.
Cheers

avrodamo
13th May 2002, 22:06
Both answers 1 and 2 refer to the aircraft performing a function when linked to the autopilot. The autopilot performs no funcyion at the reaching of a decision height. It requires a manual input for a disengagement when not in a full autoland situation. The flare will only be initiated by the autopilot in a full autoland situation.

The Boy Lard
14th May 2002, 06:23
Bengal,

I believe the correct answer is missing and it should read along the lines of:

4. A/P flies aircraft to DH, pilot disconnects A/P and flies the rest of the approach flare and landing

Cheers

TBL;)

Alex Whittingham
14th May 2002, 07:19
Correct. If you're not doing an autoland the autopilot should be dis-engaged at 200ft on a CAT I approach or no later than 50ft on a CAT II, the pilot then flies manually, flares and lands. The autothrottles can stay engaged and will either disengage automatically 2 seconds after touchdown or will be disengaged by the pilot selecting reverse, depending on type. The term 'semi-automatic landing' is one we don't like, its really an automatic approach & a manual landing.

Bengal
14th May 2002, 10:37
Many thanks guys, I think it was the "semi automatic" term that I didn't understand -

cheers

avrodamo
14th May 2002, 18:40
You see Alex......i was listening in class after all !!:D :D

scroggs
14th May 2002, 19:09
I have never heard the term 'semi-automatic landing', and I would suggest that there may be no such thing. You can have an aircraft set up for an autoland in Cat 1 or better conditions and carry out an AP/AT disengagement and manual landing at any point in the approach (although it's not recommended below DA). In conditions below Cat 1, the only time a manual landing would be carried out is if the flare function failed but there were sufficient visual references to land and stop the aeroplane manually. All other failures would prompt a go-round.

However, I have no Airbus experience (as yet - now off to the A340 in June), so maybe there's some function in the Eurolectric Jet, that I'm not aware of, that fits this scenario?

Delta Wun-Wun
14th May 2002, 20:23
Ahh...but we are talking about exam questions and CAA/JAA language...since when did that have any relavence in the real world.:D :D

well that`s me a marked man for the July sitting when I get to Gatwick:D

max rebo
15th May 2002, 01:54
The American version of the aeroplane will flare and retard but the A/P willnot keep you on the centre line (unless rudder channel is installed)

The French version of the aeroplane will flare, not retard (calls you a retard) but will keep you nicely placed on the center line until A/P disconnect.

Boeing NG a/c are only 3B rated unless fitted (at huge expense) with a rudder channel.

As to to the question asked initially.....I can only ask Bernie Waddington, Mr CAA/JAA queston setter. (Formally of CABAIR).

Answers on a postcard.