PDA

View Full Version : Avast update and XP Startup Continuous Loop

OzBob
7th Jan 2014, 10:06
I have been using Avast antivirus successfully on a home desktop (Win XP) for around 8 years. Last week following an Avast notified update, on restart the PC partly restarts - to the stage of desktop icons but incomplete taskbar then shuts down and restarts. Will do this all day if you let it. Tried most of the usual obvious remedies but was only succesful by booting in Safe Mode, removing Avast and it then starts as normal.
I had intially suspected corrupt XP drivers in the boot sequence until the removal process worked OK.
Then 2 days later, the other PC, a laptop, (also running XP and Avast) did the same Avast update and exactly the same consequences resulted - a cycle of resarts but never getting an ultimate clean boot. The same process of removing Avast in SafeMode resulted in achieving a successful proper startup.
Am I alone in this recent experience and does anyone know what may be the cause and the remedy, apart from a replacement antivirus alternative?

The Flying Pram
7th Jan 2014, 13:17
Am I alone in this recent experienceUnfortunately not: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144053.0

I've always been wary of installing the latest programme update as soon as it's released for just this reason. As suggested in one of those replies, try looking for the older version you were running.

mixture
7th Jan 2014, 21:12
the remedy,

The remedy, my friend, is to move to Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Windows XP is obsolete. Its time to move on and stop clinging on.

I've already explained before how after April, AntiVirus and all other third party security tools will be good for nothing.

vulcanised
7th Jan 2014, 21:25
I've just won a little bet with myself that mixture couldn't resist the temptation to pop up and say all that.

mixture
7th Jan 2014, 23:19
I've just won a little bet with myself that mixture couldn't resist the temptation to pop up and say all that.

Good man, now put those winnings that you've paid yourself to good use and buy a copy of Windows 7 or 8. :E

OzBob
9th Jan 2014, 01:50
TFP,
Thanks for the heads-up on that forum discussion - certainly reassures me I was chasing the right direction. I did try to re-instal an earlier 2013 version but it recognises that a later version is available and points you to the website and denying the earlier version to be installed. It's pity the program developers didn't put their efforts into a proper product in the first place.