PDA

View Full Version : out of the box

probes
6th Jan 2014, 20:43
well, that's creative thinking, I'd say:

Speeding between the pillars of the Bedford Road Car Park in Guildford are Jorge Gill, 18, from London and Jack Hammersley, 24, from Surrey - who spotted the space and thought it would make for excellent boarding conditions.

But with no room for a boat - the two acquired a Red Bull winch pulley system from their friend Nick Mangos, 27, which can pull in boarders at break-neck speeds.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/06/article-2534743-1A73EE5E00000578-629_964x598.jpg

Watch daredevils use flooded car-park as wakeboarding playground | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2534743/Daredevils-use-flooded-car-park-wake-boarding-playground-video-shows-riders-flying-past-concrete-pillars-break-neck-speed.html)

probes
11th Jan 2014, 23:07
creative and nutritious:

Beagle won't be denied chicken nuggets (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/dog-won-t-be-denied-chicken-nuggets-203736706.html)

What my beagle does when are not home. Beagle gets into hot oven . - YouTube

I especially liked how the beagle considers the distances from the table - too far to jump. :) And you'd never believe they are so good at opening doors!
Our dachs once waited patiently till the stove [or whatever it's called. A wood-heated one, not the cooker-type] had cooled down enough to be paw-steppable, and took her share of our cutlets.

sitigeltfel
12th Jan 2014, 04:55
which can pull in boarders at break-neck speeds.Is this going to end up on the Darwin thread? :E

Krystal n chips
12th Jan 2014, 05:10
" 2ft of water" ....plus some rather shiny hazard warning tape...a lot of concrete pillars and the, erm, collective intellect to match those pillars.....all beautifully encapsulated in the term......" at break neck speed" ....

A brief career, albeit a one off appearance, contributing the local undertakers profits surely beckons !

Although an alternative career option could be as crash test dummy's..... no danger of any brain damage occurring now is there ?

onetrack
12th Jan 2014, 05:49
It looks like good clean watery fun to me ... unlike this dirty-water fun. :(

Trackhoe Water Skiing - YouTube

Blues&twos
12th Jan 2014, 16:24
Crow Using Tools - YouTube

Start watching from about 1:05. A crow, literally thinking "out of the box"!

handysnaks
12th Jan 2014, 17:58
Beagle won't be denied chicken nuggets

They always say that the appetite increases when you give up smoking....

SawMan
12th Jan 2014, 19:36
Does "out-of-the-box" include rides on a crane ball? We never went nuts with it but it's a bunch of fun to be zipping up and down several floors in mid-air with nothing around. Just don't let the bosses don't see you doing it- then you'll become unemployed quickly which takes all the fun out of it!

llondel
12th Jan 2014, 21:09
You don't want to encourage your cat to think out of the box...

Capetonian
12th Jan 2014, 21:16
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/11/article-2537849-1A94030400000578-473_634x765.jpg

If you thought safe deposit boxes were safe .............. wrong.

probes
13th Jan 2014, 08:11
You don't want to encourage your cat to think out of the box...

http://www.animal-photography.com/AP-10LNW7-LR-wm.jpg

sure. Last week - if I could photoshop, the tree should be replaced with my leg. No blood or major injuries, the jeans were up to their tough reputation. :ouch:

dubbleyew eight
13th Jan 2014, 10:36
from my observation most animals have an intellect about that of a 6 year old child.
most lack the opposed thumb and all lack broca's centre which gives us our speech capability.

dogs read our body language and can pick up the occasional syllable.
I often wonder why people don't have a shot at genetically engineering the mental limitations out of dogs.
watching my Jack Russell terrier solve problems was fascinating.

birds are more intelligent than we think.
when I fill up the birdbath in front of my hangar the local magpies tell each other that I've filled it. when I walk around the airfield I am never swooped by magpies. I sure they recognise me.

that old saying that animals are people too is closer than we think to the truth.

Limeygal
13th Jan 2014, 10:42
"Does "out-of-the-box" include rides on a crane ball?"

Miley, is that you?

onetrack
13th Jan 2014, 14:23
Animal intelligence is fascinating to watch. Cats, dogs, and birds, are all more clever than we give them credit for.

1. SIL had a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog). She'd only have to pick up the Landcruiser keys, and the dog would immediately rush outside, and be found waiting by the Landcruiser door.
We lived on a remote minesite in the early 1980's, and the vegetation of the countryside was relatively unchanged for miles.
Yet the dog would start becoming animated and excited when we got to within a couple of miles of home at the mine. She knew and recognised the countryside and its small identifying features.

2. I owned a small trailer that was a repair trailer with an engine driven welder in the middle, and two oxy-acetylene bottles lying horizontally on the rear, with gauges and hoses attached. The gauges were covered with a sack for weather protection.
I watched 2 grey currawongs pulling at the hoses, looking for nest-building materials. When they wouldn't come away from the bottles, one currawong flew up onto the trailer, lifted the sack with its beak, and peered underneath, to see what was holding the hoses.
This currawong then dropped the sack, squawked a call to its mate ("forget it!"), and then they both flew off.
These grey currawongs could also mimic the ringing of a phone so well, we'd be out in the yard, and drop everything to rush to pick up the phone in the shed - only to realise halfway, we'd been had, by a currawong call.

3. I have watched a white cat we owned, grab parrots off bare open ground. The stalking technique was amazing to watch, lions had nothing on her. The parrots would gather to feast on some spilt grain.
The cat would watch and wait until all the parrots had their heads down for a couple of seconds. Then it would shuffle forward like a big white slithering snake.
The parrots would lift their heads, look around, then go back to eating the grain. Another couple of seconds of slithering would get the cat another 4 or 5 metres closer.
The parrots would lift their heads, look around again, but she'd be stock still. Heads down for another couple of seconds, some more grain eating, and another slither would mean another 4 or 5 metres closer.
Parrot heads up, look around, they couldn't see her, even though she might only be 10 metres away. She'd be a statue.
Heads down, and then the cat would be amongst the parrots within 2 seconds. At least one would never escape her deadly claws, and sometimes it was two.