PDA

View Full Version : Update Windows 8.0 --> 8.1 and now no internet !

Senior Paper Monitor
6th Jan 2014, 10:42
Upgraded one of the (fairly new) machines on our primarily wireless network over the weekend.

Now unable to obtain internet access - wireless or wired - connects to network happily.

Have done same on other machines without a problem - fortunately doing one a weekend.

Any suggestions where to look gratefully received ?

God I hate this Windows 8.X c**p

Incidentally - have completely rebooted network and run all the 'repair' options I can find on the affected set - to no avail.

Capetonian
6th Jan 2014, 11:14
Thanks for the warning. I was prompted to upgrade to 8.1 this morning, thought about it, almost did so, and fortunately decided not to.

Senior Paper Monitor
6th Jan 2014, 12:46
Used this one ...

Press Windows key + X +A to run cmd as an administrator
Type "netsh winsock reset", and then press enter
Reboot your computer and try to reconnect the Internet

... to get me going (cabled), and will experiment getting wireless up and running later (have a backlog of work to catch up).

Google research (frightening) indicates this is a common problem and fixes vary by specific equipment (and what appears to be basically a driver upgrade issue is a bit of a buggah if you disconnected from internet as result -- what a dog's breakfast !!

ExSp33db1rd
7th Jan 2014, 06:55
God I hate this Windows 8.X c**p

I've renamed it Windows H'eight.

Capn Bloggs
8th Jan 2014, 05:40
Well come on Mixture, the Win 8 spurt! Help the poor fella out here! :}

Loose rivets
8th Jan 2014, 06:40
Just to say, W8.1, with Classic Shell, really made all the difference. For once, the procedure was seamless. Then I returned the darn laptop.:ugh:

mixture
8th Jan 2014, 07:35
Well come on Mixture, the Win 8 spurt! Help the poor fella out here!

You rang, Sir ? :cool:

I've been mulling over this one a little, off the top of my head it sound like one of those instances where Windows gets itself confused over what network you're on and puts you on unassigned (or whatever it's called) and cuts you off from the internet. Fixable but a pain and the range of fixes vary.

But I've also been a bit busy and haven't had a chance to play with 8.1 much, although it is on my to-do list.