PDA

View Full Version : Young pilot applies for a job using YouTube

1stspotter
6th Jan 2014, 08:39
A 24 old Dutch pilot found a remarkable way to find a job as first officer. He write 200 letters but no job. So he made a video in which he handwrites his resume. He has a CPL and a typerating for Boeing 737-300/900.

Nicely done!

Video can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pevg39rqh3s

His cv is here Hire me! (http://www.nickvantol.eu/)

captplaystation
6th Jan 2014, 08:48
A novel approach, good luck to him, hopefully someone appreciates his utilisation of the 21st Century technological world. :D

Capetonian
6th Jan 2014, 08:54
What a terrific approach. I hope he is successful. He exemplifies so much of what I like and admire about the Dutch. Veels geluk, maat!

BBK
6th Jan 2014, 09:08
Great video. Deserves an interview. Good luck to him.

737 Jockey
6th Jan 2014, 14:54
Being Dutch, I'm surprised he was not snapped up by one of the European flag carriers straight after graduating from flight school. ;):}

But seriously, it's very innovative and I wish him all the very best for the future!

:ok:

Avenger
6th Jan 2014, 15:48
Unfortunately most Chief Pilots and DfOs don't know the difference between You Tube And a U -Bend in a toilet so I doubt this approach will reap any rewards but full marks for creative thinking! With a JAR licence and 737 type rating maybe SunExpress, they are roadshow recruiting at Stella and FlyBe for pilots. Offer to get a DGCA licence that may help:ok:

Killaroo
6th Jan 2014, 17:02
Isn't being on YouTube an immediate dismissal these days? Or is it just Facebook? Seem to remember reading somebody got fired over it in CX this week. What's the chances this young feller will impress CX?
Oh well - good luck!

macdo
6th Jan 2014, 18:06
When desperation set in in the mid nineties, I printed my CV on the inside of Christmas cards and sent then out. It didn't get an interview, but I got lots of very nice rejections, particularly from a proper gent who was the DFO of AirUK at the time. Sadly, the old adage, 'its not what you know, its who you know' was actually required to actually get a job. Still the case I would think.

Skyjob
6th Jan 2014, 19:36
The guy already got two medals or else I'd have offered him one.

Greenlights
6th Jan 2014, 19:47
what does this video shows ?
a typical young pilot who has got only a CPL IR....like thousands others.
(oh, and a type rating with no hours, but let's considere he only has a CPL IR.)

mad_jock
6th Jan 2014, 19:56
One of the lads at work said there are 1800 unemplyed dutch pilots currently.

KLM academy was pumping out 120 a year but dropped this year to 60. I presume he is one of them because he has the 737 rating.

After the hold pool hit 600 for klm, they have recently taken 80-90. Some had been holding for 5-6 years.

The schools there are producing 300-400 per year. Airline which most go to is ryan air but the ones who are already rated 737 this isn`t an option.

AngioJet
6th Jan 2014, 20:48
Cheesy as it might have been, at least it brought a smile to my face for all of the 2mins 39secs it took! Good luck mate (and to everyone else who's trying)!

Killaroo
7th Jan 2014, 04:22
120 per year?

Lambs to the slaughter.....

Skipping Classes
7th Jan 2014, 09:08
if he would as well make his CV look a little bit more professional, or at least informative/readable...

1stspotter
7th Jan 2014, 11:13
This guy got a lot of attention because of his video. It has been viewed almost 35000 times.
Dutch Corendon Airlines invited him into the cockpit for two flights in a jumpseat. Not a job offer yet but never know.

Major dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad today reports on his video resume.

Werkzoekende piloot stunt zich cockpit in - AD.nl (http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1012/Nederland/article/detail/3573089/2014/01/07/Werkzoekende-piloot-stunt-zich-cockpit-in.dhtml?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=)

Evanelpus
7th Jan 2014, 12:17
Could always stand on a traffic island outside Schipol with a placard as well!;)

SOPS
7th Jan 2014, 19:09
I'm amazed they can keep getting people to pay out all the money, just to go into an industry that is racing to the bottom at a faster rate everyday. He has around 200 hours and a 737 type rating. I assume he has never actually flown a 737. I also assume that after 6 months, his recency on the 737 will lapse, making the whole thing worthless.

How do they keep getting these people? If I had less morals, I might start my own flight school.

Bokkenrijder
9th Jan 2014, 20:13
How does that old saying go again? Oh yeah; "never buy a type rating without a job lined up" otherwise you may have to resort to begging online.
I'm amazed they can keep getting people to pay out all the money, just to go into an industry that is racing to the bottom at a faster rate everyday.... ...How do they keep getting these people? If I had less morals, I might start my own flight school.Exactly!

Furthermore, he started flight training in...drum roll please...: 2009!! :ugh:

What a genius! The world almost went bankrupt in 2008 and he starts training for a job in an industry that traditionally is one of the first casualties in an economic downturn and one of the last ones to recover during an economic upswing, only one year later! But hey, he got an average of 99,3% for the ATPL theory and has all kinds of cool graphs about "being immune to stress" and "knowledge building" on his resume. :hmm:

I wonder how the graph looks for the common sense part.... Oh wait, I guess that's not part of any high school education, flight school selection process or pilot training anymore...

Yeah go ahead and flame away for me being "negative," "cynical" and "sarcastic." I call it being realistic, a.k.a. situational awareness! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

drag king
9th Jan 2014, 20:23
Anyone knows how to attach the video to the "Cover letter" section of modern standardized online applications?

It would save me a :mad: load if time and headaches from thinking of the content!!! :D

Hernando
9th Jan 2014, 20:24
he's excellent at everything...as it shows in his graphs...

oceancrosser
9th Jan 2014, 22:25
Exactly!

Furthermore, he started flight training in...drum roll please...: 2009!! :ugh:

What a genius! The world almost went bankrupt in 2008 and he starts training for a job in an industry that traditionally is one of the first casualties in an economic downturn and one of the last ones to recover during an economic upswing, only one year later! But hey, he got an average of 99,3% for the ATPL theory and has all kinds of cool graphs about "being immune to stress" and "knowledge building" on his resume. :hmm:

I wonder how the graph looks for the common sense part.... Oh wait, I guess that's not part of any high school education, flight school selection process or pilot training anymore...

Yeah go ahead and flame away for me being "negative," "cynical" and "sarcastic." I call it being realistic, a.k.a. situational awareness! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

But there never has been a "good time" to start training, certainly wasn't on my home turf when I started 36 years ago, but I got hired 5 years later...

Bokkenrijder
10th Jan 2014, 08:13
But there never has been a "good time" to start training, certainly wasn't on my home turf when I started 36 years ago, but I got hired 5 years later... Yeah, but only one year after a major major major financial and banking crisis?! Lehman Brothers? Northern Rock? Nosediving stock exchanges? Helloooooowwww?! What was he thinking? That the rules of gravity don't apply to him?

Being optimistic and confident is good, but letting the sales people of a flight school convince you that you can defy all odds is just plain old stupid if you ask me!

p.s. more proof that all those 'new age' psychology tests and ATPL theory exams have very little to do with reality and IQ.

drag king
10th Jan 2014, 09:01
he's excellent at everything...as it shows in his graphs...

C'mon, give the guy a break. When you apply for a job, do you write on you cover letter that you are just like any other human, that your flying is average and that sometime you feel life is SO unfair to you? Or do you bump you own PRs a bit?

He tried an unorthodox approach, therefore he's entitled of some extra "poetic license", IMHO.

Hernando
10th Jan 2014, 11:32
Yeah you're right...my apologies.
It's a positive approach.... I guess I'm just jealous I'm not as young or good looking as he is.
Hopefully this thread is some positive publicity.
To the chap in the video make some more videos... Have a look at the 'draw my life' videos on YouTube...

jowong1
18th Jan 2014, 21:15
can't he get a job with ryanair?

zondaracer
18th Jan 2014, 21:27
I know more guys who have applied to Ryanair than those who have been contacted by Ryanair. Of those contacted, only about half the guys I know make it all the way to getting hired.

Greenlights
18th Jan 2014, 21:29
can't he get a job with ryanair?

No, cause to get a job at Ryanair, firstly, you need to be selected and pass the sim ride etc... and then you pay your type rating in the TRTO of Ryanair.
Business is business.
If you do a rating on your own, you screwed.
In a cockpit we think before acting. This young guy acted before thinking. Not good ! :=