PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Awards 2014 - early contestants

Sir George Cayley
4th Jan 2014, 09:10
I've just been watching on TV people on various sea fronts running around dodging massive waves crashing over them.

On the front of one news paper is the banner 'Mad Dad' as a guy and young daughter escape drowning after he held her up over the sea wall.

They're already looking for a lad missing off the Devon coast who had gone out to photograph the storm.

If these muppets get swept out to sea and drowned will they get the award?

SGC

TWT
4th Jan 2014, 09:40
A woman died today while running for a train.Pedestrian gates were locked due to trains nearby,so she walked onto the road,slipped past the boom gates which were down and was hit by an express train.Lights and bells were operating.

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/woman-killed-by-train-at-cannon-hill-station-trains-suspended-on-cleveland-line-between-murarrie-and-park-road/story-fnihsrf2-1226794112717)

IJNR2EpS0jw

SpringHeeledJack
4th Jan 2014, 09:41
Of course it's incredibly foolhardy to do such things, yet the human psyche leads us all (except Homo Laptopius ;)) into such perilous situations. The force of nature is a sight to behold and somewhere within us we seemingly wish to behold it.

SHJ

OFSO
4th Jan 2014, 10:11
Thread drift: our local level crossing has gates that descend up to ten minutes before the train arrives from around a very steep bend. And the trains start whistling long before one can see or hear them otherwise.

Hence the inevitable: I stand there dithering at the pedestrian crossing (no gates - only a flashing light saying "train coming"), should I chance running across or not ? until I see some aged pensioner pushing his zimmer across the railway tracks - and then I do too, albeit at a fast run.

No doubt one day I'll be a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Mechta
4th Jan 2014, 10:50
Given that the UK, thanks to social welfare handouts and free medical treatment, has been running a 'reverse Darwin' breeding programme for 30 years or more, maybe its time to take down all the warning notices and create suitable challenges to encourage more 'self de-selection'?:E

Shaggy Sheep Driver
4th Jan 2014, 11:12
OFSO - ten minutes sounds a heck of a long time. Are you sure it doesn't just feel like 10 minutes?

Oh, and surely the pedestrian gates lock if a train is due? After two young girls were tragically killed at a crossing some years ago, I thought they all locked now?

Rob Courtney
4th Jan 2014, 11:25
I don't think they do in Spain SSD. I remember being amazed watching people going across a level crossing in Salou despite hearing the horn from the approaching loco. The crossing was at the side of the station which led me to believe the train would be traveling slowly as it approached, except this was an express that didn't stop there and was doing at least 80mph as it crossed.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Jan 2014, 11:29
Given that the UK, thanks to social welfare handouts and free medical treatment, has been running a 'reverse Darwin' breeding programme for 30 years or more
Longer than that. We must have been excluding the unfit from the armed forces for centuries, surely.

onetrack
4th Jan 2014, 12:35
A senior nurse friend, in her early 30's, who is often on duty in the Emergency Dept of our local Hospital, has been regaling us with stories of urgent admittances over the New Year period. Here are just two ...

1. A young bloke "celebrating", is seriously injured when he throws an "empty" aerosol can on a fire, and it blows up in his face.
What was he celebrating? His major achievement of gaining his degree in Mechanical Engineering ... :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

2. A wheelchair-bound lady is admitted with 3rd degree burns to her hands. Her hands are just blackened, charred stumps. The reason? She asked for, and was given, a cigarette to smoke, by a "carer".
Both the carer and the wheelchair-bound one, then went to sleep. She set herself on fire with the burning cigarette when she nodded off.

These are just two of todays stories, out of a dozen similar styles of stories. I don't think I could work in an Emergency Dept - I'd just bump them off to save everyone, including the imbeciles, a whole lot of trouble and effort. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

OFSO
4th Jan 2014, 14:46
Are you sure it doesn't just feel like 10 minutes?

No, it feels like half an hour. I hang about in my "should I, shouldn't I ?" mode at the gates, finally decide to run across the tracks, then walk up towards the marketplace and can cross that and be out of sight of the tracks before a train arrives.

But just for this thread, next time I'm there and the gates close I will put my watch against it.....

Sallyann1234
4th Jan 2014, 17:19
Or this one...

LiveLeak.com - ninja master fail

llondel
5th Jan 2014, 02:30
Was that firecrackers up his nostrils? I hope he plugged his ears before trying that, to prevent his last remaining brain cells (if any) from being blown out.

An honourable mention has to go to the woman who almost got hit by a train at Waterbeach level crossing last year. She cycled up the outside of a line of traffic, round the gate and there probably wasn't more than a fag paper's width between her and the train when it went past.

This guy is going for an award. (http://www.bilerico.com/2014/01/desperate_utahn_vows_to_starve_self_until_gays_can.php) He clearly has no concept of how long the US legal process can take.

probes
5th Jan 2014, 08:52
The crossing was at the side of the station which led me to believe the train would be traveling slowly as it approached, except this was an express that didn't stop there and was doing at least 80mph as it crossed.
decades ago I was in a bus when its engine died on a railway (front wheels on the rails) - and just like in a film (would seem too-hollywoody then) - in a couple of minutes there was a train coming from behind a dark curb. No express fortunately, and we rushed out and as there were several men in the bus, even managed to push the bus away from the rails... couldn't believe we did, standing there and watching the train. Feeling it couldn't have been real.

Hydromet
5th Jan 2014, 10:17
SWMBO was behind a car stopped at the closed boom gate as the train went through, when the car in front suddenly accelerated through the gate and hit the train! Luckily, the young female students in the car escaped any major injury.

They'd been sitting in the automatic, in gear, and the driver was tapping her feet to the beat of the radio. Oops, that's the accelerator!

TWT
5th Jan 2014, 10:53
CCTV footage of a guy who was very nearly cleaned up by a train at the very same station involved with the fatality in post #2.Looks like he's holding something,might be a mobile phone.

oRArQWgYL3Q

Capetonian
5th Jan 2014, 11:08
The worrying thing is that so often these people risk the lives of others in their pursuit of death. Even when they get hit by a train, there is the trauma for the driver (I know one who had a 'jumper' and he is still deeply disturbed from the experience) and the people who have to scrape the bits up, the distress for passengers and observers, and so on.

Last year I was in Crawley, where the entire female population of child bearing age (12-60 it seems) appear to be either pregnant or with a brood of small children, and saw a woman duck under the barriers as they closed at the level crossing near the station. She had a baby in a pushchair and a toddler. Makes you wonder why these people are allowed to breed.

By coincidence found this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPeC_0nR9M4
One of the comments:
People from Crawley are like this... Honestly they wouldn't be missed from the gene pool
Drivers and pedestrians ignore safety warning on Level Crossing Awareness Day - Crawley Observer (http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/local/drivers-and-pedestrians-ignore-safety-warning-on-level-crossing-awareness-day-1-4404389)
PHOTOS: Drivers and pedestrians caught risking lives on Crawley level crossing | Crawley News (http://www.crawleynews.co.uk/PHOTOS-Drivers-pedestrians-caught-risking-lives/story-20071304-detail/story.html)

M.Mouse
5th Jan 2014, 11:26
2011 but I wonder if this guy has won his award yet?

Bad day at Blackrock The Directors Cut.wmv - YouTube

4mastacker
6th Jan 2014, 14:59
..And the latest contender is…

this clown (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-25624978)

keel beam
6th Jan 2014, 15:06
There is a programme running on one of the cable channels "1000 ways to die". Deaths re-enacted with suitable witty comment at the end of each demise. It does beg the question, "Are people really that stupid?"

llondel
6th Jan 2014, 15:20
"Are people really that stupid?"

Unfortunately, yes.

Alloa Akbar
6th Jan 2014, 15:29
Sallyann - Work has now stopped in my place, the boys in the team are rolling around crying with laughter at the Ninja Master :D

Capetonian
6th Jan 2014, 15:35
"Are people really that stupid?"
If not, stupider than you might imagine.

vaqueroaero
6th Jan 2014, 16:12
Definite contenders here, one of which won the prize!

MMA fighter Joe Torrez kills armed intruder and injures another in home invasion gone wrong | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2534476/MMA-fighter-kills-armed-intruder-severely-injures-scares-two-home-invasion-gone-wrong.html)

Apparently they're not as street wise as one would have thought. Surprised they weren't 'packing heat'.

eticket
6th Jan 2014, 16:36
Apologies for the thread drift but here may be a late contender for 2013.

An 86 year old is entered into a Howard Stern radio show contest called "I want to get my Grandpa laid!"

He wins and together with his grandson he heads off to the Bunny Ranch.

He chooses two of the young ladies, but before consumating the winnings he goes for a steak dinner, where he gets some food stuck in his throat and passes away. (No, I didn't see that one coming either.)

I would link to the TMZ website article but one of the photos may not meet with the mods approval.

sitigeltfel
8th Jan 2014, 06:21
Incident occurred Aug 2013 but footage just released.

fckAT7YPT4c

Footage from camera on drag racing truck getting ready to launch. Speculation is that the Air Ambulance captain was "beating up" the strip when it all went wrong. Captain and paramedic killed, but miraculously the co-pilot survived.

500N
8th Jan 2014, 06:27
That is sad but amazing footage and amazing someone survived.

chuks
8th Jan 2014, 06:47
What was the pilot thinking, there? It looks as if he got sucked into pulling "up" without rolling out of a steepening bank, so that the aircraft just continued its gentle descent. How, though, could one get to fly a King Air while being able to make such a beginner's error?

Capetonian
11th Jan 2014, 10:22
I'm not really sure where this belongs but she is stupid enough to be a DA candidate.

Woman sues solicitors because they 'did not explain that finalising her divorce would terminate her marriage' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537566/Woman-sues-solicitors-did-not-explain-finalising-divorce-terminate-marriage.html)

Jane Mulcahy claimed that, alongside a number of other allegations, her solicitors failed to advise her that finalising divorce proceedings would officially end her marriage.

onetrack
12th Jan 2014, 00:19
Capetonian - My best mate has an ex-wife who considers she still owns him. She rings him nearly every day to complain about something he hasn't done - yet their divorce was over 12 yrs ago.
He did get some satisfaction when she rang him to complain her current husband was beating her. :E She actually expected him to do something about it. :ugh: I think he was actually considering paying the bloke to beat her some more. :)

Kulverstukas
13th Jan 2014, 16:22
Curiosity kill the cat

p3sVdo9dDdI

SASless
13th Jan 2014, 21:48
One should wear a seat belt when fleeing from the Police.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152042744786084&set=vb.16522651083&type=2&theater

broadreach
13th Jan 2014, 23:56
Kulverstukas, thank you, that one's a great contender even if it doesn't show the final outcome. Made my day.

I have one candidate but unfortunately (really?) his demise was not registered by a clip. Just off Santos, Brazil, there is a small island called Urubuquecaba which, translated, means "vulture landing place". I posted it as a challenge in the Where on Earth thread a week or so ago. The vultures nest in the trees and, on the ground, there are reported to be up to nine (IIRC) bushmaster snakes per M2. Signs all over the islands indicating the danger.

Despite the signs, kids do swim out there to dive off the rocks. In early 2013 (March or May) a surfer paddled out with fishing gear, set himself up and was overdue returning home. The search found him quickly enough, collapsed, dead, on the rocks with multiple snake bites.

11Fan
14th Jan 2014, 00:01
Kulverstukas, thank you, that one's a great contender even if it doesn't show the final outcome. Made my day.

Indeed. Obviously, that guy has never heard of Wile E. Coyote. The only thing missing is the name ACME on the side of the tank.

meadowrun
14th Jan 2014, 00:39
Leading contender, but not quite dead. Thought he was being pulled over, tried to pull a gun from his pants and shot himself in the leg, severing an artery. Murder suspect with 10 priors. In critical in Portland. Note return address.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/13/article-2538677-1A9F4B6700000578-763_306x447.jpg

11Fan
14th Jan 2014, 01:45
One should wear a seat belt when fleeing from the Police.

There should have been signs posted on the opposite lanes; Warning, Speed Bump Ahead.

Pretty sure that sucker was toast on first touch and go.

Airborne Ranger.

Lantern10
14th Jan 2014, 02:02
Didn't die but came very close.

thai bomb squad in action! - YouTube

N707ZS
14th Jan 2014, 11:04
From a Northern rag.

'It looked like a terrorist bomb': Grangetown family's terror after 'nail device' left on the doorstep

14 Jan 2014 10:39 (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/by-date/14-01-2014)
18-year-old local man arrested in connection with incident as family describe device as being studded with nails and with wires leading to a battery

Bomb disposal team at St George's Road, Grangetown

A Grangetown family say they feel terrorised in their own home after a nail-studded device was left on their doorstep.
The Bradleys have spoken exclusively to the Gazette about their ordeal saying their young children could have easily opened the package which has now been taken away by police forensic experts for analysis.
A bomb squad was called in (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/bomb-disposal-team-called-after-6501810) and a police cordon set up around the house in St George’s Road West and surrounding properties, with evacuations taking place at around 10am yesterday.

Children and staff from Grangetown Primary - just opposite the scene - were also told to stay inside the school building.
The home’s main resident Ian Bradley, 60, said: “I’ve never seen anything like it in my life - it looked like a terrorist bomb.
“They are picking on a 60-year-old man.
“Of course I’m very scared. I definitely thought it was real.
“It looked like a proper terrorist bomb.”

Fire crews and the ambulance service also attended the scene and explosives experts from Catterick arrived just before midday.
There they made the suspect item safe. No controlled explosion was necessary.
Forensic teams could be seen going into the house once the package had been declared safe (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/explosives-experts-declare-item-inside-6502406).
The cordon was lifted a short while later and the evacuated residents were allowed to return to their homes.

The family describes the device as being the size of a video case, studded with nails and with wires leading to a battery. They also say a copper pipe protruded from it.
They claim the device had Ian’s son Kenny’s name written on it. They say it said “Mr Kenny” and was followed by two “Xs”.
Kenny Bradley, 33, unemployed, said: “My brother Tony came downstairs at 8.40am to let the dog out the back.
“He shouted me and said ‘Kenny - there’s a parcel out here with your name on it’.
“It looked like a bomb, all wired up with nails in it. It looked like a homemade bomb.
“It was about the size of a video case.
“There was a copper pipe sticking out of it, the nails and two wires leading to a battery.
“Tony picked it up and brought it into the kitchen. I went to have a look at it. I told dad and he phoned the cops.
“As soon as they came they phoned the bomb squad and we got shot out of the house.
“I’ve never heard anything like it in my life.”
Kenny has two children, Amelia, nine, and Jack, eight, who attend Grangetown (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/all-about/grangetown) Primary opposite the house.
He said: “They come here every day.
“What if someone had opened it? On some mornings the kids come across before school and they could have easily opened it.”
Ian, a supervisor, added: “I have got a bad heart and whoever has done this is demented.
“I just don’t feel safe in my own home. I’m on edge.
“All I want is a bit of peace in my own flat. I want to be left alone.”
Cleveland Police has confirmed that an investigation is now under way.
A spokeswoman for the force said: “Investigations into the nature of the item and how it came to be at the address will continue.”
An 18 year old local man was arrested earlier this morning in connection with the incident.
He remains in police custody awaiting questioning.

TWT
14th Jan 2014, 11:09
Pensioner used live artillery shell as a doorstop for 20 years | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-465694/Pensioner-used-live-artillery-shell-doorstop-20-years.html)

spInY nORmAn
14th Jan 2014, 21:17
Two die, a third hospitalized in botched rescue after man drops his cellphone into icy Chicago River | National Post (http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/14/two-die-a-third-hospitalized-after-man-drops-his-cellphone-into-icy-chicago-river-jumps-in-after-it/)

con-pilot
14th Jan 2014, 23:21
Two die, a third hospitalized in botched rescue after man drops his cellphone into icy Chicago River | National Post

I saw that one the news. Just for a frickin' mobile phone??????????

TWT
15th Jan 2014, 04:16
TkNqVs-wqak

Capetonian
15th Jan 2014, 07:06
Raging Bull Elephant Rolls Car Over in South Africa's Kruger National Park. VIDEO - YouTube

Whilst perhaps not quite Darwinian in stupidity, the people in both cars, the front one in particular, showed considerable stupidity in not retreating when the elephant was clearly uneasy at their presence, and then did a mock charge.

Apparently they were not hurt.

500N
15th Jan 2014, 07:20
They were very stupid.

They were also hurt, she got a tusk through her leg / thigh.

Capetonian
15th Jan 2014, 07:43
British teacher gored by elephant on South African safari - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/10572541/British-teacher-gored-by-elephant-on-South-African-safari.html)

sitigeltfel
17th Jan 2014, 14:46
Another 2013 candidate spilling over into the New Year...

Speeding van driver was TEXTING at 85mph moments before he smashed into a horsebox and was killed | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541152/Speeding-van-driver-TEXTING-85mph-moments-smashed-horsebox-killed.html)

PC Paul Cant, collision investigator, said the smash occurred near Attleborough Services petrol station, which Mr Adcock had just left.
He said Mr Middleton sent a text from his mobile at 3.36pm, which was 'at or immediately prior' to the deadly accident.
PC Cant estimated the married man's speed at 80-85mph when he collided.

500N
17th Jan 2014, 19:49
Reverse or drive straight ahead, they had ample opportunity to do both
and driving forwards is a lot faster if it had decided to still press home
an attack.

A lot of people seem to think the animals in these parks are like
the zoo one's they have seen.

G-CPTN
23rd Jan 2014, 19:31
Teenager fatally electrocuted after putting his ear to live rail to 'listen' to the tracks | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544087/Teenager-electrocuted-death-putting-ear-live-rail-listen-tracks.html)

Lantern10
23rd Jan 2014, 20:38
Looks fake to me but the sentiment is there.

Bad Karma - The laptop thief - YouTube

500N
23rd Jan 2014, 20:44
Love it ! :ok:

Now that is what I call "dead centre" !

11Fan
23rd Jan 2014, 23:36
Appears his hard drive crashed.

crippen
24th Jan 2014, 23:32
http://knuckledraggin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/safety-first-30.jpg

:sad:

500N
24th Jan 2014, 23:37
That one is a ripper !

lomapaseo
25th Jan 2014, 02:33
Why doesn't he just pull the plug

llondel
25th Jan 2014, 18:34
Provided he jumps in the air as he throws it he might stand a chance. (Of survival, that is, not of putting out the fire - many of those things are oil-filled.)

OFSO
25th Jan 2014, 18:54
Never assume anything (as Captain Queeg said) - that might not be water in the bucket.

awblain
25th Jan 2014, 19:22
Excellent - his descendants will be able to keep his Darwin Medal in the scorched bucket.

Flash2001
25th Jan 2014, 20:08
I thought that having descendants DQ'd you from receiving a Darwin.

After an excellent landing etc...

tony draper
25th Jan 2014, 20:17
:uhoh:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/deathwish_zps094b1171.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/deathwish_zps094b1171.jpg.html)

500N
25th Jan 2014, 20:21
Remember that Elephant that turned over the car in Kruger.

I see the driver has now given her version of events and
it does not show them in good light.

I see they also asked the other people to keep the video hidden
but were disappointed it was sent around the net !!!

awblain
25th Jan 2014, 21:03
Flash,

Awards are not given to those who kill their children through conspicuous stupidity. While ideally the awards would go to fertile non-parents, awards are made to all, including both post-menopausal women and men without the capacity to reproduce. "It takes a village.." is the sentiment, I guess.

awblain
25th Jan 2014, 21:07
Tony,

I fear that the RCD manufacturers' association will reduce the pool guys' award to a mere honorable mention.

llondel
26th Jan 2014, 04:05
To be a Darwin Award winner you have to remove yourself from the gene pool. So having children who are capable of reproducing disqualifies you unless you manage to either take them with you or at least prevent them having children.

This also leads to the point that it's not strictly necessary to die to become an award winner - if you have no offspring and do something creatively stupid to sterilise yourself then you can also qualify.

500N
26th Jan 2014, 08:32
No wonder Aboriginals are not going to take over the planet.

This "billabong" and in fact the whole area (being a National Park)
has heaps of crocs in all the rivers, creeks and billabongs.

Apart from the odd croc killed by Abos which is not many, they have lost all fear of man in Northern Aus so you get in the water, expect to get eaten !!!

"A BOY has had a miraculous escape after being bitten by a crocodile - only for his friend to be taken by the same animal, while swimming in Kakadu.

A source told the NT News the first boy, 12, was bitten on the arm by crocodile, but managed to get free - before his friend, also 12, was attacked.
Acting Commander Michael White of the Northern Command said police were alerted to an incident at Mudginberri Billabong, 20km west of Jabiru, around 2:15pm.
"It is believed the 12-year-old boy was taken by a crocodile as he and a number of other young boys were swimming in the billabong,'' Acting Commander White said.
"One other boy, also aged 12, was bitten on the arm by the crocodile and has received medical treatment from attending St John Ambulance members.
"Police and Park Rangers are currently conducting searches by boat and land and will continue into the night.""

Capetonian
26th Jan 2014, 09:49
VIDEO: Dumb parents let kids take close-ups of wild lions | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/video-1081257/Dumb-parents-let-kids-close-ups-wild-lions.html)

Another one from ZA.

TWT
26th Jan 2014, 11:02
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/base-jumper-falls-to-death-from-australias-tallest-tower/story-e6frg6n6-1226810699446)

500N
27th Jan 2014, 05:41
Not just two but 5 boys were swimming in the creek.

Tone
27th Jan 2014, 14:48
Some of these young people must be about ready to try for the award.
LiveLeak.com - Tank brake test

lomapaseo
27th Jan 2014, 19:11
All I could think of was this bloke losing sleep stuck with one eye open waiting for the thing come out of the water and drag him off for lunch. It was really a question who would win

'Very, very, very large' crocodile traps tourist for two weeks on Australian island

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/130903-croc-10a.photoblog600.jpgWinfried Wisniewski / dpa via AP Images, file
A saltwater crocodile similar to this one held a New Zealand tourist hostage on a small Australian island.

By Henry Austin, NBC News contributor
A kayaker from New Zealand was rescued from an island off the Australian coast Tuesday after being stalked by a “very, very, very large” crocodile for more than two weeks.
Ryan Blair became trapped on remote Governor Island in Western Australia after he had been dropped off by a boat to explore the area in his kayak, according to Australia’s ABC News. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-02/man-rescued-after-being-stalked-by-croc-for-2-weeks/4929068)
When Blair realized that his supplies of food and water were insufficient, he tried to paddle nearly three miles back to the mainland — but immediately caught the eye of the 20-foot saltwater crocodile.

Each time he tried to paddle away from the island, the creature would make its presence felt, leaving the adventurer stranded for more than two weeks.
“He was about four meters away from me, and I thought, ‘This is it,’” the 37-year-old told Australia’s 9news (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/09/03/03/07/nz-kayaker-relieved-to-have-escaped-croc). "It was so close, and if this croc wanted to take me it would not have been an issue.I was scared for my life. I was hard-core praying for God to save me."
Blair tried to attract passing aircraft and boats by flashing a mirror and lighting a small fire. His efforts were unsuccessful until he was eventually spotted by boatman Don MacLeod from the small nearby town of Kalumburu.
MacLeod said the crocodile was "very, very, very large," one of the biggest he’d seen in the area.
“One day he just happened to surface alongside me as I was going past and my boat's 20 foot long so he was well up towards the 20-foot mark," he told Australian broadcaster ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-02/man-rescued-after-being-stalked-by-croc-for-2-weeks/4929068). “I've seen him several times actually going by quite fast."
MacLeod added that the unfortunate explorer was recovering after his rescue, although he said he gave Blair a cold beer to get over his ordeal, "which was probably the wrong thing to do" because he promptly fell asleep.

SASless
31st Jan 2014, 00:54
This well planned and orchestrated scientific experiment conducted by some folks must qualify for the competition. Anytime in the South when you hear "Hey Y'all! Watch This!".....odds are there is a hospital visit somewhere in the works.

Warning: Much harsh language.....but it is no less worth watching.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152145615396084&set=vb.16522651083&type=3&theater

lomapaseo
31st Jan 2014, 02:42
The link no longer works

shucks

500N
31st Jan 2014, 02:46
That NZ'er was an idiot to do what he did with that Croc.

However, in looking at the NT News the other day, a heap of photos
of people in the same creek where that biy was taken with one saying
that a 5 mtr Croc was there as he had seen it !!! yet he was standing
knee deep in the flooded creek :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Their are at least 3 known 5 mtr Crocs in that area (although one doesn't
live anywhere nearby) but you have to wonder about these people.

SASless
31st Jan 2014, 05:02
Just checked it....works fine for me.

Try it here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZV8yT8nBQ

sitigeltfel
31st Jan 2014, 14:56
Not yet a fully fledged candidate, just auditioning......

Dramatic moment woman climbs on top of train before being hit by 25,000-volt shock from overhead cables - London - News - London Evening Standard (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/dramatic-moment-woman-climbs-on-top-of-train-before-being-hit-by-25000volt-shock-from-overhead-cables-9098565.html)

UniFoxOs
31st Jan 2014, 16:13
Wouldn't a 9mm round at that distance at least knock the guy over? He hardly staggers back at all, I can't believe it was a full load, if it was really a live round.

chuks
31st Jan 2014, 16:37
Think of the action-reaction equation. You hold the pistol, which recoils, but not enough to knock you over backwards. Well, same for the guy on the receiving end who gets hit by the bullet you fire.

It's only Hollywood that sees you flying backwards from a bullet fired by a normal handgun, and they do that with wires.

It's the same thing when designing a helmet; we could design one that would stop a .50-calibre bullet, but the energy of that bullet would snap your neck.

Protecting against a round from a handgun is doable because of its energy. If Cletus there had volunteered to test his bulletproof vest against a round from an AK-47, let alone a Barrett sniper rifle, then that video would probably have been called a "snuff film."

angels
31st Jan 2014, 17:18
The start of this thread observed that there were lots of people getting swept away by big waves.

Plus ca change....

...c'est la meme chose.

SASless
31st Jan 2014, 19:24
The energy of the bullet is focused upon a very small area....thus penetration.....the recoil is spread over a large mass with moving arm(s) absorbing that energy.

A 9mm pistol cartridge is a piss ant of a round.

Compare that to something in a Manly caliber like .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum and there is a huge difference in energy and velocity.

The other direction....you have the wee tiny 40 grain .22 Caliber bullet in a .22 Magnum Round....which penetrates nicely.

I have a friend who hunts with a .35 Whelen Pistol....noisy thing!

tony draper
31st Jan 2014, 20:05
It's true what they say, now if people see someone get into trouble the first instinct seems to be to reach for their phone and video the incident rather than rush to help,saying that, not much the person filming that person washed off the pier could have done.
Apparently we are all citizen journalists now,apart from me, my phone just receives calls, it dont do video.
:)

OFSO
31st Jan 2014, 20:27
my phone just receives calls, it dont do video.

How do you know that, Mr D. ? All over the world, people are watching you !

SASless
1st Feb 2014, 00:59
Grenade fishing gone wrong Crazy Russian - YouTube

onetrack
1st Feb 2014, 02:30
With that last video, it appears some nearly-Darwin candidates need to learn about the different delay times of various types of grenades. :(

lomapaseo
1st Feb 2014, 02:43
With that last video, it appears some nearly-Darwin candidates

There's a good chance that the one with the slow reflexes might have made to a full Darwin candidate

anotherthing
1st Feb 2014, 08:17
I was just thinking that... did the guy in front actually have a grenade in his hand? I didn't see him drop it before the first grenade went off, but then again you don't hear a second explosion and the clip is long enough for the second to have gone off it it existed and was working...

SASless
1st Feb 2014, 10:59
Mom always told me that some People were just a bit too curious....and I think our Bullet Proof Vest guy is no longer competing for the Darwin Award.

The Man Behind the Bulletproof Vest Test - YouTube

500N
1st Feb 2014, 11:05
I think only one guy had a grenade, the rear one.

I slowed down the video and I think the fuse was a bit short
as it seemed to go off very close to the surface, the fireball
was all above the surface.

I bet the boat had a least a big dent in it if not a few holes.

bcgallacher
3rd Feb 2014, 06:23
500N
I spend as much time as I can in my house in Manila ( I am there now ) and used to fish in Batangas province.Not much there due to the locals dynamite fishing.It was actually some home made concoction in a bottle.The result of this is that there are a lot of men in the coastal villages minus hands and eyes. My brother in law is a senior officer in the Philippine Coast Guard - his office was destroyed when the store of confiscated "dynamite" spontaneously exploded taking the Manila HQ with it.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
3rd Feb 2014, 09:51
Mr bcg,

I’d be very wary about using any form of explosive in Batangas Bay. Some years ago I was involved in the Malampaya Pipeline Project. The landfall of the pipeline was in Batangas Bay and we needed to clear the route. An inspection of the seabed with our ROV(Remotely Operated Vehicle) found lots of unused WW2 American ordinance, from grenades to 1,000lb air-drop bombs, all still in shipping creates and in the case of the bombs with lifting slings still attached. Most of this was in heaps or in lines along the seabed, probably where it had been pushed off the front of a landing craft or similar. We tried to clear the route by blowing up the ordinance, but due to the poor underwater visibility probably blew up some completely innocent bomb shaped rocks in the process. In the end we just dumped a carpet of rock over the route. It seems to have worked as I’ve not heard of any problems.

Nice part of the world and one of the best offshore survey jobs I ever had.

500N
3rd Feb 2014, 10:19
bcg

Plenty of things that can go bang in a bottle. Not surprising loss of hands.

Old Dynamite always was a dangerous explosive. I think it would have been
the nitroglycerin that had leeched out and dripped and gone off.

I prefer Plastic Explosive, much safer and stable.

Flyingmac
3rd Feb 2014, 10:56
How To Park a Tractor Elegantly - YouTube

Economics101
3rd Feb 2014, 12:58
"Necknominations", whereby one posts a dare on Farcebook or some other social media rubbish about your drinking and then swimming/diving/flying/driving etc has calimed a few lives here over the past week or so.

Family of dead Carlow man urges ?Neknominations? boycott - Health News | Irish Medical News | The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 03, 2014 (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/family-of-dead-carlow-man-urges-neknominations-boycott-1.1676943)

I just can't believe how stupid people can get. Tragic, but totally daft.

Terry Dactil
3rd Feb 2014, 16:44
Look on the bright side.
It is increasing the average IQ of the nation.

scr1
5th Feb 2014, 19:44
failed arsonist

BBC News - Bungling arsonist sets himself on fire in Rochdale (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26058591)

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

sitigeltfel
10th Feb 2014, 19:25
Does this count, as they were planning to go anyway?

Iraqi suicide bombing instructor accidentally kills himself and pupils - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/10629543/Iraqi-suicide-bombing-instructor-accidentally-kills-himself-and-pupils.html)

Lantern10
10th Feb 2014, 20:36
^^ Now just how can that not be good news.

500N
10th Feb 2014, 20:40
siti

Good one :ok:

Broke one of the golden rules of handling explosives !

11Fan
10th Feb 2014, 21:04
Re: the suicide bombers above.

http://tonydeyo.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/this-job-has-worked-0-days-without-an-accident-3866_preview.png?w=593

SASless
10th Feb 2014, 23:04
Sounds like a case of premature matriculation!

Fliegenmong
11th Feb 2014, 09:42
Excuse the Av. content here....but here are 3 potential candidates....almost all certain future winners....:D

Airplane Fly By.avi - YouTube

500N
11th Feb 2014, 09:47
Jesus Christ, I've seen some crop dusters / seeders do some low turns
but that is eye opening !!! :rolleyes:

sitigeltfel
11th Feb 2014, 10:11
siti

Good one :ok:

Broke one of the golden rules of handling explosives !

Update:

It is proving difficult for Allah to find so many virgins all at one go!

angels
25th Feb 2014, 16:42
Here is a genuine contender. Note the concern of everyone post accident.

I'm in a hurry

lomapaseo
25th Feb 2014, 20:38
Note the concern of everyone post accident.

I'm in a hurry (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=475_1393327410)

Now you see it now you don't. It seems that only the green bus at the end noticed the movement in the weeds.

llondel
26th Feb 2014, 02:28
I think this guy is in with a chance (http://rt.com/usa/michigan-man-kills-gun-safety-714/)...

According to the Oakland Press, the man was explaining to his girlfriend that his three guns were safe when not loaded. Police said he put two guns to his head and pulled the trigger, but when he did the same with the third gun, it discharged and a bullet went into his head.

llondel
26th Feb 2014, 02:43
I'm sure this must have featured on PPRuNe before

k4f3vJjvR9c

Although to be fair, that's not really a 2014 contestant.

mickjoebill
26th Feb 2014, 06:35
Another cracker!

Darwin Award Nominee - Idiot Tapes Firecrackers to his Face! (Video) - YouTube

Mickjoebill

mickjoebill
26th Feb 2014, 06:48
3..2..1…

LiveLeak.com - Redneck Bonfire

Mickjoebill

Kulverstukas
26th Feb 2014, 06:54
Is this belongs there?

e5J1B8JBRBs

mickjoebill
26th Feb 2014, 07:31
Is this belongs there?
He was only trying to catch a bus:}

Mickjoebill

A A Gruntpuddock
26th Feb 2014, 08:21
And yet another petrol/ bonfire eedjit!

LiveLeak.com - gasoline and fire

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=86e_1195499262

A A Gruntpuddock
26th Feb 2014, 08:31
We don't need your feelthy safety harnesses!LiveLeak.com - Elevator is stuck. Watch what happens next.

A A Gruntpuddock
26th Feb 2014, 08:35
We don't need your feelthy fire extinguishers either!

LiveLeak.com - Wheelchair on fire stunt goes horribly wrong

The SSK
26th Feb 2014, 08:39
Youngster on the Brussels Metro last week ran away from a ticket inspection, slipped and went under the wheels of a train.

Maybe not the stupid gene extinguished, certainly the thieving gene.

500N
26th Feb 2014, 08:41
SSK

Thanks, you owe me a new keyboard !

tony draper
26th Feb 2014, 08:47
Here's one I posted elsewhere a couple of days ago, I suppose the Darwin component is the chap driving a tad fast,certainly spectacular.:uhoh:
Hazmat Highway to [HAZMAT] Hell - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-fBgzwikA#t=126)

sitigeltfel
26th Feb 2014, 08:49
Police near Montpellier, responding to a car fire, saw two men fleeing the scene in another car without its lights on. The car crashed, killing the driver who was not wearing a seat belt, the injured passenger was caught trying to escape.
Police believe it was an insurance scam gone wrong.

Effrayé par des gendarmes, un homme en fuite meurt dans un accident - BFMTV.com (http://www.bfmtv.com/societe/effraye-gendarmes-un-homme-fuite-meurt-un-accident-720268.html)

Gordon17
26th Feb 2014, 09:55
Not really a Darwin candidate as he didn't die, but.....

A few weeks ago I was flicking across the TV channels and came across something called "What Happens in Sunny Beach" - one of those programmes about young holidaymakers getting drunk and sleeping with each other. What caught my eye was a guy having 8 stitches in his rectum as a result of having got his mate to light a fairly large firework that he stuffed up there as part of the victim's birthday celebrations.

The really funny bit was right at the end, when he and his mate were reminiscing about the incident. His mate said, "I suppose we should have known it might go wrong as it really hurt last year, and that was a much smaller firework!"

OFSO
26th Feb 2014, 10:36
Re explosion of gas cylinders on truck: 2m 37secs and the guys in the tailback on the opposite lane decide to turn round and drive back the wrong way up the entry ramp. Life sure is interesting in Russia.

Bigears
26th Feb 2014, 11:23
BBC News - Brian Barr admits stabbing his own eye with knife in West Lothian (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-26329534)
several interesting quotes from Mr Barr within the article :eek:

uffington sb
19th Mar 2014, 18:19
Flash, bang, wallop what a picture
Man electrocuted to death after trying to take a SELFIE on top of a train | Latest News | Latest Breaking News | Daily Star. Simply The Best 7 Days A Week (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/370268/Man-electrocuted-to-death-after-trying-to-take-a-SELFIE-on-top-of-a-train)

Why do people do such stupid things.:ugh:

Rosevidney1
19th Mar 2014, 19:28
Because they can?

500N
19th Mar 2014, 19:37
That is why makes are born at a slightly higher ration to females :ok:

onetrack
23rd Mar 2014, 09:00
Below, we have another outstanding Australian contestant for 2014 ... :)

Man falls to death from power pole while running from police in Wagga Wagga - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-23/man-dies-after-falling-while-running-from-police/5339664)

Kulverstukas
29th Mar 2014, 13:12
Filming Su-29 which is aiming at you is not very clever thing...

VRJ1ECQwQjY

Capot
29th Mar 2014, 14:28
Going back to the man on the train, the article said...

Believing the parked train to not be powered, he accidentally touched a wire that electrocuted him, throwing him off the train.

Emergency services who rushed to the scene had to wait until the electricity supply at local stations was cut so they could treat the man.

If he was thrown off, presumably on to the ground by the side of the train, after touching the overhead powerline, but perhaps after touching something else, I wonder why they felt it necessary to cut the supply before touching the victim.

'Elf 'n Safety strikes again? "Says in the book, amigo, cut off power supply before touching victim, no importa dónde está, qué?"

lomapaseo
29th Mar 2014, 17:04
'Elf 'n Safety strikes again? "Says in the book, amigo, cut off power supply before touching victim, no importa dónde está, qué?"

why in this case was he acting as a capacitor?

sitigeltfel
2nd Apr 2014, 13:08
The luck of the Irish (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/10739277/Device-exploded-in-bombers-face-after-he-forgot-about-clocks-changing.html)

Irish bomber blew himself up after device went off too soon 'because he forgot to put his watch forward'

;):p

Ancient Mariner
2nd Apr 2014, 13:48
Another one playing with bombs, with fatal results. This time in Thailand.
Per

Six employees of a scrap shop and neighbors in Bang Khen died when a 200-kilo steel drum, suspected to be an old World War II bomb, exploded when a worker was trying to cut it with gas. Six die in old bomb explosion | Thai PBS English News (http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-die-old-bomb-explosion/)

angels
2nd Apr 2014, 17:38
Close, but no Darwinian cigar. Unbelievable though. There were kids in the car! Why??

LiveLeak.com - Red-light Runner vs. Train

Kulverstukas
7th Apr 2014, 07:38
Too late for soccer?

TwinAisle
7th Apr 2014, 08:24
I nominate:

Man allowed HYENA to eat his genitals because witch doctor told him it would make him rich | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593446/Man-allowed-HYENA-eat-genitals-witch-doctor-told-make-rich.html)
Just barking....

TA

ChrisVJ
8th Apr 2014, 22:25
Darwin award classic.

"Gambler dies after shooting himself in testicles: Thai police."

(Sit back and wait for the puns.)

lomapaseo
9th Apr 2014, 02:19
"Gambler dies after shooting himself in testicles: Thai police."

I don't get the link to the poor sods profession in that news story :confused:

crippen
9th Apr 2014, 07:19
Local News | Man accidentally shoots himself in testicles | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011994648_accident31m.html)

onetrack
9th Apr 2014, 07:34
I bet he hasn't got the balls to do that again. :)

4mastacker
19th Apr 2014, 21:31
This week's offering (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11157722.Elderly_woman_dies_after_lighting_up_a_cigarette_wh ile_using_an_oxygen_mask/?ref=mry)

llondel
20th Apr 2014, 00:01
Local News | Man accidentally shoots himself in testicles | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011994648_accident31m.html)

From the report:
A manager at Lowe's said store personnel are not commenting on the incident.

They're probably still creased up on the floor gasping for breath at the incompetence.

dubbleyew eight
20th Apr 2014, 10:08
I'll put in a double nomination for this guy....

Thai gambler dies after accidentally shooting himself in the testicles
27-year-old Kittisak Krusorn had returned home after a gambling event at a local temple when authorities say he discharged a holstered gun and the bullet punctured his testicles. He bled to death on his porch.

Thai gambler dies after accidentally shooting himself in the testicles - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/gambler-dies-shooting-testicles-article-1.1755603)

Akrotiri71
20th Apr 2014, 10:47
<---

He won't be playing poke 'er anymore......

........TAXI!!!!

Kulverstukas
22nd Apr 2014, 17:45
9gsbPLCBa8s

tony draper
22nd Apr 2014, 19:25
This is the funniest one I've seen for a long time.:uhoh:
homemade fireworks - YouTube

angels
22nd Apr 2014, 19:54
Yes, Kulverstukas, I saw that one on LL. There was a comment underneath that said it was no wonder he nearly got hit because he had a black bag over his head. :}

ricardian
28th Apr 2014, 15:24
Another near miss (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27190345). Sawing through a live 11,000 volt cable!

TwinAisle
28th Apr 2014, 15:52
Doesn't count, sadly. He lived, so is still part of the gene pool....

TA

Rwy in Sight
29th Apr 2014, 20:25
I am surprised it has not happened before. Selfie crash death: Woman dies in head-on collision seconds after uploading pictures of herself and ‘HAPPY’ status to Facebook Or maybe it was not mentioned. Very happy the truck driver was unharmed.

500N
29th Apr 2014, 20:29
Rwy

Link doesn't work for me.

11Fan
29th Apr 2014, 21:04
Notar,

Link doesn't work for me.

Title pretty much sums it up, but here's another link.

US woman dies in head-on collision seconds after posting her selfie on Facebook - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/US-woman-dies-in-head-on-collision-seconds-after-posting-her-selfie-on-Facebook/articleshow/34339987.cms)

Fliegenmong
30th Apr 2014, 10:23
Love that one Drapes!.....One of the funniest I have seen in a while!:ok:

TWT
30th Apr 2014, 10:26
Shame that it's faked,but funny all the same.

tony draper
30th Apr 2014, 10:29
Yer I did have a niggling suspicion that it was a set up,I though nobody could be that stupid,then I thought hmmm, dunno about that.
It is a corker.
:)

TWT
30th Apr 2014, 10:50
I didn't twig until I read the comments under the clip on YouTube.

He is wearing a different t-shirt after the explosion.And some of that Wile-E-Coyote blastface makeup.

angels
5th May 2014, 14:28
GRAPHIC -

Here's a candidate.

LiveLeak.com - Guy Falls off Chimney

rgbrock1
5th May 2014, 15:16
He seems to have lost his shoes after hitting. :}

OFSO
5th May 2014, 15:44
to have lost his shoes

Shoes, life, hey what's the difference ?!

11Fan
5th May 2014, 15:54
He seems to have lost his shoes after hitting.

Depending on your belief system, many religions suggest that the souls depart the body upon death.

UniFoxOs
5th May 2014, 16:20
And the camera just happened to be there, and just happened to start zooming out just before he fell??

tony draper
5th May 2014, 16:29
Only a matter of time before the news media pays someone or rather pays someone's family to allow them to film them committing suicide in front of the cameras,probably win a bafta.:rolleyes:

lomapaseo
6th May 2014, 00:04
He seems to have lost his shoes after hitting.

Depending on your belief system, many religions suggest that the souls depart the body upon death

That is just plain bad :E

500N
6th May 2014, 00:51
Might not be Darwin award material but he needs some type of award !

Gives another meaning to the word "pecker" ;) :O

"A South African performance artist who tied a live rooster to his penis during an impromptu open-air show near the Eiffel Tower was found guilty on Monday of "sexual exhibitionism", but the Paris court did not impose a sentence, prosecutors said

Last September Steven Cohen danced on the tourist-filled Trocadero Plaza dressed in a corset, high heels, long red gloves and an elaborate feathered headdress with a rooster attached to his penis by a ribbon.
Against the backdrop of the Eiffel Tower, and under the amused and perplexed gaze of tourists, including a group of nuns, the spectacle lasted only a few moments before police arrested Cohen, dragging him across the plaza, rooster attached.

Read more: Artist who tied rooster to penis in Paris for tourists guilty of exhibitionism (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/artist-who-tied-rooster-to-penis-in-paris-for-tourists-guilty-of-exhibitionism-20140506-37tav.html#ixzz30tNg8Raq)"

onetrack
6th May 2014, 04:06
Last September Steven Cohen danced on the tourist-filled Trocadero Plaza dressed in a corset, high heels, long red gloves and an elaborate feathered headdress with a rooster attached to his penis by a ribbon.500N, you've seared my brain cells for life with the mental image that description conjurs up. :ooh:

500N
6th May 2014, 04:12
One Track

Don't worry, that makes two of us !!!

I had a good laugh at it when I read it and was thinking of one of those scenes in Prescilla, I think one of the "blokes" was wearing a corset, high heels, long red gloves and an elaborate feathered headdress :O

keel beam
25th Jun 2014, 23:11
Very graphic, be warned!! Electricity and human disagree

Rail Tragedy By Malthane.MP4 - YouTube

11Fan
26th Jun 2014, 17:07
Stick a fork in him. I think he's done.

OFSO
26th Jun 2014, 17:10
Note the fluids running down the roof/side of the train. No basting needed.

500N
26th Jun 2014, 17:57
Keel

That is not graphic.

Graphic is when they explode.

Sir George Cayley
26th Jun 2014, 21:40
Not enough change for the pre pay meter?

SGC

tony draper
26th Jun 2014, 22:22
Don't think old sparkie could deliver the whelt the overhead on railways can Mr Basil,we were told at the intro lecture when we started work on the Tyneside Metro if anyone get hooked up on the overhead leave em to simmer, don't go near em there is absolutely nothing you can do for them they are dead.
:uhoh:

keel beam
27th Jun 2014, 06:15
"Keel

That is not graphic.

Graphic is when they explode"

Perhaps shocking would be more apt.

Not for those with nervous disposition.

500N
27th Jun 2014, 06:19
Yes, that is a better word.

I find people in modern society under 40 to be mostly horrified at anything that is dead or killed in view. I just think they haven't been exposed to it or have never killed anything.

Toadstool
27th Jun 2014, 09:02
I find people in modern society under 40 to be mostly horrified at anything that is dead or killed in view. I just think they haven't been exposed to it or have never killed anything.

I don't agree.

Firstly, how would you imagine people are exposed to death or killing or kill anything? If you mean by hunting, that still goes on. If you mean exposure to gratuitous violence, then media makes that much easier nowadays than in the past.

Secondly, albeit I am in the military so am surrounded by likeminded individuals, Iraq x 2, the Balkans and Afghanistan have certainly exposed quite a few people to death and killing. Much more so than those who lived and served in the cold war period and got out before the aforementioned conflicts.

ricardian
27th Jun 2014, 17:16
Someone wanting to get a toehold on the Darwin awards (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28055618)

11Fan
27th Jun 2014, 18:14
I love the caption below the picture.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75879000/png/_75879078_plankdriveraston2june27.png

More on This Story

Although, I believe it is spelled Moron.

onetrack
28th Jun 2014, 01:07
We have a new entrant from Oz in the 2014 Darwin awards. It's getting to be a big field of entries this year, the judges will have a hard time.

Naked man electrocuted whilst train surfing (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-27/train-surfer-man-electrocuted-at-baclava-station-melbourne/5555738)

Capetonian
30th Jun 2014, 13:05
Driver caught speeding at 150mph with four young children without seatbelts - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10935402/Driver-caught-speeding-at-150mph-with-four-young-children-without-seatbelts.html)

500N
30th Jun 2014, 13:11
One Track

That guy who gone electrocuted on the train.

Of course every man and his dog came out and said he was a great guy
- but was also a grafiti artist !!!

Stanwell
30th Jun 2014, 14:42
500N,
You don't understand, mate.
He was an ARTIST - just expressing himself!
Hmm.

500N
30th Jun 2014, 14:48
He was an ARTIST - just expressing himself!

It was a bit of a burnt offering :O

I always compare these train riding escapades with a couple of Hereford hooligans in the 60's who got busted for climbing out of one window, over the roof and back inside the carriage, successfully.

I suppose that is why they were Hereford hooligans and the rest end up burnt or dead.

A A Gruntpuddock
1st Jul 2014, 00:21
Presumably they got away with these, but should be commended for fair attempts -

http://4.bp.********.com/-NtIYTkuNFZg/U7BWqLaP3VI/AAAAAAAAmvw/qQ6ArWIAuvY/s1600/living-dangerously3_small.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=773174292733743&set=a.167300296654482.53832.100001235382002&type=1&relevant_count=1

500N
1st Jul 2014, 07:41
I Caught a thief today in my driveway. Silly prick didn't run and let me take 3 photos of him which i gave to the police.
Dumb bastard.

I have a kelpie, although she barks, she is only a medium size but i held her and told her "don't bite" a few times. He believed me !!!

Ancient Mariner
1st Jul 2014, 08:23
You disappoint, 500N. At a minimum I would have expected your kelpie to devour the thief and turn him into a real Darwin Award contestant, but you let him survive and turned him over to the police. :rolleyes:
I am speechless.
Per

MagnusP
1st Jul 2014, 09:30
Now, these are Kelpies. ;)

http://www.thekelpies.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/khpf0414003322.jpg

Hydromet
1st Jul 2014, 10:06
I would have backed the kelpie to run the thief to exhaustion, then eyeballed him into a corner 'til Mr. Plod arrived.

dubbleyew eight
1st Jul 2014, 11:45
magnus those are statues of horses.

this is a kelpie...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi3enptYGWR8m2g7EfhCP-SNcRHIuMsp9XwiZY-4YbeB5YHN8_jw

MagnusP
1st Jul 2014, 13:28
Tsk, tsk, W8,
Kelpie, or water kelpie, is the Lowland Scots name given to a malevolent water spirit or demon inhabiting the lochs and pools of Scotland. It has usually been described as appearing as a horse

As I said, kelpies. ;)

500N
1st Jul 2014, 13:30
I'd forgotten that. Heard the name Kelpie years ago, before I even knew about Australia and Australian Kelpies.

Actually when I visited Scotland.

MagnusP
1st Jul 2014, 13:44
This, apparently, is also a kelpie, painted by Herbert James Draper in 1913.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Thekelpie_large.jpg/640px-Thekelpie_large.jpg

tony draper
1st Jul 2014, 14:48
Ah! Old Uncle Herby,he had a liking for ladies in the nip.:)

lomapaseo
1st Jul 2014, 14:50
From that pic I make it that the lady is at least 8ft tall

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jul 2014, 14:54
I always compare these train riding escapades with a couple of Hereford hooligans in the 60's who got busted for climbing out of one window, over the roof and back inside the carriage, successfully.

I suppose that is why they were Hereford hooligans and the rest end up burnt or dead.

Scored a shag doing that, Mr N. Of course back in the days one was young and bulletproof and didn't look like a train wreck. Got told by the ntombezaan that if one could make it to her compartment unseen by her family in the compartment between us, it was game on. Went a step better - Did it nekkid along the outside of the train hanging on with fingers and toes. Stopped to wave my willy at the backs of her family's heads staring out the door of their compartment waiting for me to sneak past. Knock on her window to let me in and the deed was done.:}

Also remember hanging linked four way exits out the train windows in full skydiving rig, the outer floaters having no contact with the carriage at all, just hanging on mates' harnesses. Very Darwinian thing to be doing at 2am traveling through the Free State. There was beer involved...

500N
1st Jul 2014, 15:03
SRT

:D:D:D

Very impressed, with both escapades :O

We have a Hereford Hooligan type in our midst's !

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jul 2014, 15:15
Nope. Just too stupid to feel pain back then.

It all catches up. These days I can hardly get out of bed without whinging...:(

Ancient Mariner
1st Jul 2014, 15:15
Beer involved indeed, many moons ago three of us were sitting on the trunk lid (??) of a '60 Chevy Impala when the driver decided it was a good idea to reverse. With auto transmission that can be done rather fast. When idiot behind the wheel decided to stop and did so rather abruptly, my wife to be who was seated in the middle had nothing to hold on to and disappeared in a ballistic curve into the woods. Returned soon after in just her jeans and the sweater collar around her neck. Got in the car and had some so more beer, then realised that her fingers were pointed in the wrong direction. Broke a couple of bones in her left arm she did, needed a belt with steel support to keep her arm horizontal and at 90 degrees by the elbow. Sex was interesting that summer, but she avoided Darwin.
Per

500N
1st Jul 2014, 15:18
SRT

Never been into pain but have done some stupid things and also nearly been killed by others - My OC who reversed a Safety order of mine to get into a bunker when blowing up things, a gear box Cog that had been used to tamp a charge came towards us and landed 12 feet in front of the group !!! Needless to say, the next time, all down the hatch !!!

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jul 2014, 15:37
Yup, The Emperor is strong in us at that age.:ooh:

vulcanised
1st Jul 2014, 16:51
According to a couple of Porters, who kindly provided many coffees in my cab driving days, there were a number of Guards got killed due to climbing along the train to spy on couples doing what couples do.

radeng
2nd Jul 2014, 09:29
Not only guards, but occasionally drivers. On the Glasgow and South Western, if running double headed, it was quite usual for the driver of the second engine to 'visit' the footplate of the first while in motion, especially if it was suspected that the driver of the first engine had something good in a bottle!

Sailors (even sober ones) would climb along the tender side or over the coal to see how the train was worked......Apparently in steam days, it was quite common on trains to and from Plymouth and Portsmouth.

Ancient Mariner
2nd Jul 2014, 09:49
Sailors (even sober ones) were notorious Darwin Award candidates in days gone by. Those days would be November 7, 1969 to August 29, 1986.
You can trust me on that....................come to think of it, it might even apply to certain present ex.sailors, sober or not.
Per

Ex Cargo Clown
2nd Jul 2014, 11:16
" bcg

Plenty of things that can go bang in a bottle. Not surprising loss of hands.

Old Dynamite always was a dangerous explosive. I think it would have been
the nitroglycerin that had leeched out and dripped and gone off.

I prefer Plastic Explosive, much safer and stable.
500N is offline Report Post Reply spot on, was thrown a lump of cemtex at me, nothing

500N
2nd Jul 2014, 11:25
Ex

Just don't hit PETN with a hammer ! :O

Worst thing about PE is the headache it can give you !

lomapaseo
2nd Jul 2014, 13:31
One of my compatriots used to keep several feet of detonation cord they use in helicopter jettisons on his desk for show and tell.

He would slam it with a hammer to crush it, just to demonstrate how safe it was.

I've tried over and over to set the stuff off with a lead azide detonator without success .... until one day.

I'm glad I'm not into that stuff anymore :ooh:

The SSK
2nd Jul 2014, 15:58
Nitrogen Tri-iodide, the residue when you dissolved iodine in ammonia, carefully dried on a filter paper.

It was only a gentle tap, but the hammer ended up embedded in the basement ceiling

500N
2nd Jul 2014, 16:05
SSK

Interesting. During our training, the Warrant Officer got me to hit a very very small piece of PETN with a hammer. I was amazed at the force it threw it back, almost leaving my hand and I had a firm grip.

Loma
" I'm glad I'm not into that stuff anymore :ooh:"

As the WO said first day, stick within the rules, especially when using electrical detonators and you'll be fine !

I nearly got killed because a Senior officer (who was also chief safety officer :*) over ruled me on a range !

GrumpyOldFart
2nd Jul 2014, 20:42
SSK:

Nitrogen Tri-iodide, the residue when you dissolved iodine in ammonia,
carefully dried on a filter paper.

But, instead, paint it on a blackboard. When dry, it looks remarkably like, well, blackboard.

Enter elderly geography teacher armed with a little stick of chalk, which he duly applies to said, er, blackboard.

See the pretty purple flashes! Hear the prolonged banging noises! Experience teacher's severe wrath! Write essays in a month of detentions!

Another lesson learned.

:E

VP959
2nd Jul 2014, 21:40
But, instead, paint it on a blackboard. When dry, it looks remarkably like, well, blackboard.

Enter elderly geography teacher armed with a little stick of chalk, which he duly applies to said, er, blackboard.

See the pretty purple flashes! Hear the prolonged banging noises! Experience teacher's severe wrath! Write essays in a month of detentions!

Another lesson learned.

I recall similar fun with nitrogen tri iodide. In our case we had a grumpy lab tech who's job first thing in the morning was to boot up our lab mini-computer (which was programmed, after initial key switch bootloader set up, using a Teletype).

One Friday afternoon, when the lab tech had gone home early, we prepped some nitrogen tri iodide and, when still wet, we removed a few keys from the Teletype and added some of the wet paste in them before carefully refitting them. Come Monday, when the stuff had dried out over the weekend, the keys merrily flew off with a loud crack as the lab tech hit them.

There was also the sport of prepping nitrogen tri iodide and, when still wet, adding glucose to the wet paste. This mixture was then put on a filter paper and left on the windowsill to dry. Flies would be attracted by the glucose, and every now and again you'd hear a load crack, followed by a muted cry of "Yes!!!" as a fly blew itself into oblivion, leaving just an iodine smudge on the glass..................

angels
17th Nov 2014, 20:55
This guy would be in the Darwin awards if he had cut his willy off. As it is he's not going to be as dexterous with the sheep as he used to be.....:rolleyes:

A tad graphic.

Genuine Welsh nutters

david1300
18th Nov 2014, 06:45
This guy would be in the Darwin awards if he had cut his willy off. As it is he's not going to be as dexterous with the sheep as he used to be.....:rolleyes:

A tad graphic.

I can only shake my head :ugh:

Rwy in Sight
18th Nov 2014, 07:50
We had a case here a month ago where a 13 year old guy without any training on parcour or free running decided to run between rooftops. He managed to land on glass ceiling with bad results for the fire brigade that had to collect his body.

Fortunately his parents did not blame the state for his award.

Rwy in Sight

rotornut
12th Dec 2014, 12:02
Are men bigger idiots than women?

Tongue-in-cheek scientific study proves that men are bigger idiots than women | National Post (http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/11/tongue-in-cheek-scientific-study-proves-that-men-are-bigger-idiots-than-women/)

Lonewolf_50
12th Dec 2014, 12:26
Some of the ladies are trying to rebalance the scales, it would seem.

College gymnast in dumbwaiter accident died of head injuries | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/10/college-gymnast-who-died-in-tragic-dumbwaiter-accident-got-head-caught-in/)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Dec 2014, 14:04
Sounds more like a very unsafe dumbwaiter to me. :{

OFSO
12th Dec 2014, 14:14
Last summer Mrs OFSO decided to re-patina one of her bronze sculptures. Being out of patina she made her own from a few simple household ingredients, took the sculpture out into the front yard and set about it.

Sometime later she staggered in the front door blue in the face and breathing with difficulty, not unusual as she suffers from chronic asthma, but seemingly as she told me when she could speak, it had been far worse 30 minutes earlier when the pain she experienced was "extreme".

According to our foundryman, the mixture she brewed up, when applied to bronze gave off phosgene gas. The technical phrase he used to her to describe her work was "you are completely and utterly stupid" (said with his usual grin).

Luckily it was a windy day (it always is here) which dispersed the cloud of gas before any real harm was done.

Krystal n chips
13th Dec 2014, 15:52
A late contribution from Holland....

One of those difficult entries that doesn't quite fit easily into any category, as such, but still worthy of a mention in dispatches under the "Has Potential" section......

BBC News - Dutch marriage proposal sees crane smash IJsselstein house (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30462825)

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2014, 15:55
And the recovery crane 'dropped the ball'.

How incompetent can a crane operator be?

Answer:-

2OwNYIdJmlQ

TWT
30th Dec 2014, 11:18
Technically,not a nominee as he didn't remove himself from the gene pool but he came very close.Shame he wasn't knocked out so the cops could lock him up.

ATM explosion attempt backfires in Darwin (http://www.smh.com.au/national/atm-explosion-attempt-backfires-in-darwin-20141230-12fpub.html)

A A Gruntpuddock
30th Dec 2014, 15:47
Apologies for thread drift, but a friend working as an industrial chemist said a colleague was fired for playing with this sort of thing.

Apparently he had pasted it onto the rubber buffers under the toilet seats in the ladies loo......... :E

TWT
31st Dec 2014, 00:21
I can see why he was sacked.I wouldn't be too happy about having an explosion under any seat I was sitting on

2KlAf936E90

onetrack
31st Dec 2014, 07:47
G-CPTN - The last two photos in your YouTube slideshow showing the car and wrecker recovery are totally fabricated.
I have all the original photos on a HDD somewhere, and these show the recovery of the car, and the orange/yellow crane truck initially lost, was done successfully by the green crane truck.
This event happened in Ireland in 2003.