PDA

View Full Version : home page hyjacked but not hyjacked

rans6andrew
3rd Jan 2014, 21:51
SWMBO keeps getting her homepage (Firefox, Win XP) sort of hyjacked when opening new tabs. When she opens the original browser it goes correctly to gurgle.com. On opening 2nd, 3rd, 4th tabs it opens on a page which looks like a gurgle home page (jovial picture above text entry box, background all white) but from "searchGOL". It is like a home page hyjack but not actually changing the homepage settings in Firefox options.

How does this happen and how can we stop it?

Ta.

Rans6andrew.

mixture
3rd Jan 2014, 22:11
Sounds like Sir's got himself a virus.

Try Spybot Search & Destroy

Keef
4th Jan 2014, 00:49
Or alternatively, since it's a browser hijacker,
Remove SearchGol.com virus (Removal Guide) (http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-searchgol-virus/)

Spybot will probably fix it, too (dunno, cos never had it on mine).

Sunnyjohn
4th Jan 2014, 07:20
Suggest to Mrs Ran6andrew that she uses another browser. I can heartily recommend SRWare Iron, having been recommended to it via this thread.

Booglebox
4th Jan 2014, 17:39
sunnyjohn, if you have a persistent enough infection, your choice of browser doesn't matter...
Uninstalling browser helper objects / toolbars / addons / extensions etc. is only mole-whacking, as there's usually another component hiding somewhere that restores it later e.g.Conduit.
My advice: back up critical data and wipe :8

Sunnyjohn
5th Jan 2014, 11:22
Thanks, Booglebox. Having a Mac, I forget about viruses (and, yes, I have got a virus protection program, and a firewall - I'm not, hopefully, that smug!.)

Biggles78
5th Jan 2014, 19:55
I would also suggest installing and running Malwarebytes (free version) and Hitman Pro (has a one time free run). Hitman Pro is very good especially if you get caught with a ukash Ransomware infection.

mixture
7th Jan 2014, 06:51
My advice: back up critical data and wipe

Agreed re mole-whacking.

rans6andrew
9th Jan 2014, 14:17
Ta for the help keef. I followed the guidance on the page recommended except that I only did the stuff down to adwcleaner. I wasn't sure if the adwcleaner, malware bytes and hitmanpro were all necessary or whether it was any one from......

Seems to have sorted it except that Er Indoors accepted AVG offer to upgrade this morning and got AVG safe search and some more unwanted toolbars before I could stop her!

Ho Hum.

Rans6.......

Keef
9th Jan 2014, 15:30
You should find that the AVG ones can be turned off in the browser's settings menu.

rans6andrew
10th Jan 2014, 20:22
Ta Keef, I know that but it still causes Er Indoors to get excited when stuff appears to be taking over.

Situation under control.

Rans6...........

Blues&twos
11th Jan 2014, 19:03
Had a similar problem with Snap Do (a similar browser hijacker I assume).a couple of weeks ago. Tried Malwarebytes, no joy, although it turned up a couple of other nasties. Tried Adwcleaner, which sorted it.

Helix Von Smelix
11th Jan 2014, 21:44
Did you run malwarebytes after you installed adwcleaner?

Blues&twos
12th Jan 2014, 08:39
I ran MWB first, then installed and ran Adwcleaner.