PDA

View Full Version : 727 at LHR yesterday

AeroSpark
3rd Jan 2014, 18:31
I was picking up at Heathrow yesterday about 12:30, and was pleasantly surprised to see an unmarked 727 arrive. Does anyone know anything about it? I didn't realise there were any still flying, although this particular one has had winglets fitted.

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2014, 18:45
Looking at FR24, A9C-BA arrived sometime before 1pm.

Hotel Tango
3rd Jan 2014, 18:49
There are still quite a few B727s lurking about.

dixi188
3rd Jan 2014, 19:32
Last time I was at Lasham, in August, there were 4 VIP 727s and an ex FEDEX one converted to oil pollution control spraying.
No idea of the registrations as I gave up writing them down over 40 years ago soon after I started working in the aviation industry.

Flightmech
3rd Jan 2014, 20:47
Bahrain Government A9C-BA arrived LHR yesterday

Hotel Tango
3rd Jan 2014, 21:11
Flightmech, did you read post #2 ?

Dash8driver1312
3rd Jan 2014, 21:27
Flightmech did at least say who it belongs to!

DaveReidUK
3rd Jan 2014, 21:38
Like most of the VIP 727s still flying, it's a re-engined "Super 27" (with -200 series JT8Ds in the No 1 and 3 positions).

Flightmech
3rd Jan 2014, 21:43
Jesus some people are so touchy. Sorry HT, I got hit by the "post police"

Hotel Tango
3rd Jan 2014, 23:03
Not touchy at all. Just couldn't understand why the need to repeat what had already been confirmed 2hrs previously, that's all. "Post police" moi? :suspect:

KelvinD
4th Jan 2014, 00:06
Thanks for raising that and thanks to those who responded. I too saw this aircraft from a distance yesterday and couldn't make out the details. Now we know the ID, can anybody tell me do 727s regularly leak from the wings? I saw this aircraft departing from Heathrow back in November and was a bit surprised when I saw the photos: Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin//details.php?image_id=14183) Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin//details.php?image_id=14181) Take a look at the left wing, dribbling something!

carbheatout
4th Jan 2014, 00:08
Flightmech

Many thanks for your post. I'm no spotter and A9C-BA means nothing to me. Bahrain government is what me and presumably everybody else wanted to know without having to research/Google A9C-BA.

SloppyJoe
4th Jan 2014, 02:18
I expect it was full of fuel, most aircraft do not fill up the tanks so this does not happen but on occasion they need to be full. If the fuel already in the wing is -30C and then it is filled up thermal expansion can cause this. It is coming from a fuel vent.

DaveReidUK
4th Jan 2014, 06:25
I expect it was full of fuelIt would have been bound for Bahrain (2750nm) so that's a reasonable assumption.

KelvinD
4th Jan 2014, 11:11
Thanks for the replies. A supplementary question: why do I not see the same effect on, for example, B777 or A340 flying to somewhere like Tokyo?

Flightmech
4th Jan 2014, 15:59
Flightmech

Many thanks for your post. I'm no spotter and A9C-BA means nothing to me. Bahrain government is what me and presumably everybody else wanted to know without having to research/Google A9C-BA.

Thanks but don't tell Hotel Tango or I'll be in the doghouse again:cool:

Flightmech
4th Jan 2014, 16:13
Thanks for raising that and thanks to those who responded. I too saw this aircraft from a distance yesterday and couldn't make out the details. Now we know the ID, can anybody tell me do 727s regularly leak from the wings? I saw this aircraft departing from Heathrow back in November and was a bit surprised when I saw the photos: Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin//details.php?image_id=14183) Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin//details.php?image_id=14181) Take a look at the left wing, dribbling something!

Used to be quite common on the 727. You could override the volumetric top- off system and get as much fuel in the wings as possible. However, the downside was it would then fill up the vent box on taxi-out and take off during roll attitude changes and then had nowhere to go but exit at the NACA duct which the picture shows.

Hotel Tango
4th Jan 2014, 16:20
Bahrain government is what me and presumably everybody else wanted to know without having to research/Google A9C-BA.

You have to be kidding me :) It takes precisely 2 seconds to google and you immediately get reference to its ownership and some nice photos to boot. Come on guys, if you want a fight you have to do better than that :ugh:

Flightmech
4th Jan 2014, 16:28
And he says he ain't touchy :-)

Hotel Tango
4th Jan 2014, 17:33
Nope not at all. Just commenting on the absurdity of a poster who apparently prefers to wait 2 hours for a tiny piece of detail which he/she could have deduced almost immediately simply by typing A9C-BA in google. You would do better to focus on that person than on me Flightmech. But you just don't want to admit that I'm right ;)

Anyway, I promise that's the last word from me on this. Have a nice weekend boys. ;)

jackieofalltrades
4th Jan 2014, 18:16
I had no idea who A9C-BA belonged to. If it only takes 2 seconds to google, how come you didn't do that for everyone's benefit HT? Would have been a lot easier than writing a snarky comment to the person who clarified it for those of us not in the immediate know perusing this thread.

PAXboy
4th Jan 2014, 23:41
I think that what you were looking for was .... Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=A9C-BA)

treadigraph
5th Jan 2014, 00:05
Jeez guys, the OP asked a question to which I briefly researched an answer (A9C-BA). I don't know if that was satisfactory to him or not.

Similar answers have been supplied to me in the past by m'learned and generous friends on this forum - from which I've learned.

If you really want to know the owner, C/N, P/I, pilot's shirt maker, then look it up. I have just typed A9C-BA into Google which offered references ad nauseum. If you need your bottoms wiped then too bad, I'd much rather go for a pint with HT.

Edit - PAXboy's response: QED!

Gonzo
5th Jan 2014, 06:43
KelvinD

Thanks for the replies. A supplementary question: why do I not see the same effect on, for example, B777 or A340 flying to somewhere like Tokyo?

If a long haul aircraft is filled to the brim, they do often vent fuel on taxi out, especially if it's hot. Seeing it on departure is more rare, but again can happen.

paul360m
7th Jan 2014, 13:33
aha, i thought my eyes were deceiving me when I just popped outside our warehouse & saw what I thought was a 727 taking off........havent seen one for years!