PDA

View Full Version : Brighton Speed Trials

UniFoxOs
3rd Jan 2014, 16:46
I used to live in Brighton a lifetime ago, and one of the highlights of my year was the Speed Trials. I have fond memories of wandering around looking at the weird beasts that had been entered, and occasionally getting roped in to help with a push start. Anybody remember the awesome Merlin-engined road car built by John Dodd? I also remember a motorbike with a Rover 3.5 litre V8 engine - what a monster - and loads of assorted racing cars and classics. One mate of mine built a 3.8 litre Jaguar engined special which performed there - though not very successfully.

Well this hundred year plus old event is now under threat - read about it HERE (http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/general-classic-car-news/huge-campaign-launched-to-save-brighton-speed-trials?utm_source=Silverpop&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=CLAS%20ENews%20Bulletin%20%2802.01.2014%29&utm_content=third_top_link_1), and if you want to preserve it there is a link on that page to enable you to vote in a petition to keep it.

sitigeltfel
3rd Jan 2014, 17:03
LibDems/Greens. What a pathetic bunch of joyless cretins. The town seems to have been taken over by a clique who have nothing but their own PC and right-on interests at heart.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jan 2014, 17:26
Ah, but it's for your own good, Mr Siti...

CS Lewis:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Mr Chips
3rd Jan 2014, 17:32
Its a shame that the link provides no information whatsoever about why the council might say no to the event, or even suggests that they will do so....

Before I start jumping up and down, I'd love to see some information!

G-CPTN
3rd Jan 2014, 17:44
Brighton and Hove City Council is planning to block permission to grant a licence for the event; a decision the council says follows a fatal accident in 2012 when a sidecar passenger was killed but which critics claim is just part of an on-going anti-vehicle campaign being waged by the Green Party which runs Brighton and Hove City Council.
From (and more at):- Save Brighton Speed Trials campaign launched - General News | Motorcycle News | Bike News | Motorbike Videos | MCN (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/general-news/2013/january2/020114-save-brighton-speed-trials-campaign-launched/)

Mr Chips
3rd Jan 2014, 17:47
Thank you G CPTN for an actually informative link! Bit of a different complexion on it though. Council consider it unsafe, I guess it is up to the organisers to prove otherwise.

Have the council moved to ban all vehicular events in Brighton town Centre? I'm sure there are several....

Lon More
3rd Jan 2014, 17:57
Purely on safety grounds according to a spokesman.
The event is organised in accordance with the MSA guidelines so it looks like a pure political decision.

Brighton & Hove is divided into 21 wards and each ward is represented by two or three councillors. In total there are 54 local councillors elected to Brighton & Hove City Council. 21 are Green, 18 are Conservative, 14 are Labour & Co-Operative and 1 Independent. Like it or not it is democratically elected

racedo
3rd Jan 2014, 21:48
Have the council moved to ban all vehicular events in Brighton town Centre? I'm sure there are several....

Like London to Brighton Vintage car rally..............

UniFoxOs
4th Jan 2014, 09:03
Have the council moved to ban all vehicular events in Brighton town Centre?

One gets the impression that they would like to ban all vehicles at all times everywhere. I have a mate in Brighton and every time I visit him I am regaled with endless stories about the council's stupidity in this respect.

Recent example - "pinch points" were introduced in streets where there was a high level of pollution. This increased the pollution. The council's response - install more pinch points.