PDA

View Full Version : "The Plane Makers" 1960s TV series opening shot

WHBM
3rd Jan 2014, 11:10
The Plane Makers was a long-running and successful TV drama series on UK independent television in the mid-1960s.

The opening shot of each episode features a mock-up of a "new" aircraft, but looking at it more closely the set-builders seem to have done a plastic/wood makeover of an existing airframe. But what was it ?

First minute here

Plane Makers - S02 E11 - YouTube

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2014, 12:44
In some ways reminiscent of the Valiant, and even look slightly Heraldish from one aspect - perhaps they used/modified a 1950s mock up of a still-born design from HP or Vickers?

joy ride
3rd Jan 2014, 13:08
Reminds me of Herald and Islander, but clearly the surface is a mock up whether or not it is based on an actual frame. Interesting design to locate the jet engines almost directly behind the wheels, presumably puncture-proof tyres would be wise!

chevvron
3rd Jan 2014, 13:24
I watched all of the first series (Scott-Furlong Aircraft Ltd?)
I always remembered the aircraft as a bit of a Citation lookalike; didn't recall it was high wing!
I have a vague recollection that Handley Page built the mockup and the exteriors were filmed at Radlett. It was said at the time that for realism, HP actually designed it so it could potentially become a real aircraft, but there was no intention to actually build the real thing.
In a later series, they built the Scott-Furlong Predator VTOL aircraft which bore a startling resemblance to the contemporary Dassault 'Balzac' VTOL research aircraft; a sort of VTOL version of the Mirage 111 which if I recall correctly, was meant to be developed into the Mirage V operational aircraft.
No mention of actor Patrick Wymark in the credits but I'm sure he was in the series at some point.

WHBM
3rd Jan 2014, 15:28
That sort of confirms my thoughts, that it was based around a Herald fuselage. The Herald fuselage has 10 large rounded cabin windows, and this appears to be the same. Whole tail/engine section is a mock-up, and the flight deck windows appear very much taped on. I'd like to see that landing gear and those sideways struts actually retract !

Aerodynamically the whole tail looks too small for the rest of the airframe (reminiscent of the MD-11 then :E )

ATV studios of the time were in Borehamwood, just down the road from the Handley Page plant at Radlett.

Do you think Patrick Wymark was meant to be representing Sir Frederick Handley Page ?

Georgeablelovehowindia
4th Jan 2014, 08:45
My recollection is that the series moved away from the 'tin bashing' shop floor union palaver to power struggles and love interest in the boardroom palaver. It centred on Patrick Wymark's ruthless character and a blonde glamour-puss actress whose name escapes me. They both went on to bigger and better things.

treadigraph
4th Jan 2014, 08:59
Looked the programme up on IMDB - blonde glamour-puss was Norma Ronald.

Extensive cast list, John Junkin and Fulton Mackay only names I recognised apart from Wymark.

Georgeablelovehowindia
4th Jan 2014, 10:21
My recollection has proved to be only partially correct. The Plane Makers morphed into The Power Game, which ran for another three series, the action having spiralled up and away from Scott-Furlong Aircraft. (Unlike the VTOL aircraft they were trying and failing to produce!)

The central character was still Wymark's John Wilder and the blonde love interest was played by Rosemary Leach.

rchdleigh
5th Jan 2014, 19:43
The Producer of The Plane Makers was Rex Firkin. He has recently written an autobiography covering his time in television. The book is entitled 'High Drama - My Life in Television and is published by Kaleidoscope Publishing.

The book contains photos of the aircraft and a lot of information about the making of the programme.

Noah Zark.
5th Jan 2014, 20:31
It's definitely a prototype MRCA. (Mother Riley's Cardboard Aeroplane) :)

P.S. NOT to be confused with the Rutland Reindeer!

GQ2
6th Jan 2014, 04:13
My recollection of 'The Plane Makers' was primarily that of some sort of silver swept or delta-winged fighter mock-up. This also used to appear at various airshows around that time for some strange reason.

Just found an image here;-

The "But that aircraft never flew with that airforce"-picture thread - Page 19 (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?26971-The-quot-But-that-aircraft-never-flew-with-that-airforce-quot-picture-thread&p=1515425#post1515425)

...rather more convincing than the 'airliner'....!

aviate1138
6th Jan 2014, 07:28
ATV/London Weekend at Borehamwood would have used Radlett/Handley Page airfield. Do the

hangars look like HP ones?

Certainly office pics are of Victor etc. Radlett was used a lot by ATV/LW. I was involved in a TV

series Budgie with Adam Faith and in the hangar where we shot some title sequences there was

an early Jetstream with Astazou pencil thin engines. HP was down the tubes by then. 1970/1

time.

Kieron Kirk
6th Jan 2014, 08:55
aviate1138 and GQ2.

Yes the Scott-Furlong Predator appeared at the RAF BoB show at Biggin Hill in September 1964.

ATV also did some "takes" at HSA Richmond Road, Kingston late 1964 maybe early 1965.

All of the identity markings (G-9-... ) on the many Hunter sections, front and centre fuselages, were removed at the end of one week and re-applied the following week.

The filming took place over a weekend but I do not know if any of the takes were broadcast.

Ciarain.

GQ2
6th Jan 2014, 12:16
I do seem to recollect seeing the mock-up at possibly Gaydon or Farnborough. However, I think it was dragged around the Midlands too as I think I saw it in a summer show in a park in Brum. I think they were allowing youngsters to sit in it as well as a Spit'. Sorry to be so vague - it's a long time ago now...:\

I wonder what happened to it in the end....?

Alan Baker
6th Jan 2014, 12:19
"ATV/London Weekend at Borehamwood". London Weekend was nothing to do with ATV or Borehamwood. LWT was formed in 1968 and was initially based at the old Associated-Rediffusion studios at Wembley until the purpose built complex on the South Bank now known as The London Studios was built. The ATV studios at Borehamwood are now BBC Elstree and home to Eastenders.

The first two series of The Plane Makers involved Scott Furlong's attempts to sell the Sovereign airliner, mainly in competition with "the French". The Sovereign was one of those Tardis like TV/Movie creations that was much bigger on the inside! The storylines gradually transferred from the shop floor to the boardroom in order to focus on John Wilder (Patrick Wymark), a kind of prototype J.R.Ewing. Wilder did not have a "blonde glamour puss", but was married to Pamela (Barbara Murray, replaced in series three by Ann Firbank). Norma Ronald was Wilder's (brunette) secretary, Kay Lingard, staying with him into The Power Game years. Series Three focused on the develpment of the "Veetol", never given a name in the show, and designed by Scott Furlong subsidiary Ryan Airframes(!). The plots increasingly focused on Wilder's battles with bankers and Whitehall. Finally, Wilder gained a knighthood and moved on from the aircraft industry to the shenanigans of The Power Game.

Series two and three have been released on DVD. Only one episode from series one survives (included on the first DVD).

WHBM
6th Jan 2014, 15:34
My recollection of 'The Plane Makers' was primarily that of some sort of silver swept or delta-winged fighter mock-up. This also used to appear at various airshows around that time for some strange reason.

Just found an image here;-

The "But that aircraft never flew with that airforce"-picture thread - Page 19 (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?26971-The-quot-But-that-aircraft-never-flew-with-that-airforce-quot-picture-thread&p=1515425#post1515425)

...rather more convincing than the 'airliner'....!
The same photo of the "aircraft" (named, it was the "Scott Furlong Predator") suspended by cables from a crane appeared in Flight magazine of the time, along with some accompanying notes

1964 | 2616 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1964/1964%20-%202616.html)

I'll be there were some suckings of breath in various drawing offices in Weybridge, Hatfield, Woodford, Filton, etc the day that came out in 1964.

GQ2
7th Jan 2014, 03:16
....that was back in the days when we had a real aircraft industry....:(

aviate1138
7th Jan 2014, 06:49
" London Weekend was nothing to do with ATV or Borehamwood. "

My mistake, caused by the London Weekend show "Budgie" titles being shot near Borehamwood at Radlett/Handley Page and a fading memory...... :rolleyes: