PDA

View Full Version : Nice old colour RAF film I found.

magpienja
3rd Jan 2014, 10:11
Night Bombers 1943 - YouTube

Lasts an hour...not one I have come acrros before.

Nick.

seafire6b
3rd Jan 2014, 12:25
Hi Nick, just spent the last hour watching it. I've never seen it before either, it's very good, an excellent insight. The sheer quiet and unassuming bravery of all those guys from Britain and the Commonwealth - they have my huge respect and sincere gratitude. My thanks to you for posting it.

beamer
3rd Jan 2014, 14:37
As the film says, filmed at RAF Hemswell which is about fifteen minutes drive north of Scampton. Much of the station is still intact and many of the buildings on the technical side of the camp are used for antiques/junk arcades. You will be able to park on the main parade square close to SHQ. I believe the O's mess is now a hotel whilst the married quarters seem fully occupied. Worth a look if you are in that part of the world.

seafire6b
3rd Jan 2014, 16:14
beamer

I've not been in that part of the world for many years, but I keenly noted Binbrook being referenced in the film. Spent a very happy fortnight there back in my youth, as an RAF Air Cadet. Amongst many other activities, the then-generous MoD "obviously" also included a couple of one-hour "air experience" sessions for each of us cadets, in a Chippy - aah, ...de Havilland! Simply good times and great days.

astir 8
3rd Jan 2014, 18:36
Is the 1943 date right? I understood that the 0.5 inch Rose rear turrets were not being fitted to Lancs before mid-June 1944.

And somehow the commentary seems a bit free with information. It sounds a bit post-war to me - especially it's a bit realistic about the chances of baling out of a Lanc

But the film itself is fabulous. Thanks for pointing it out

Lancman
4th Jan 2014, 03:32
There was an interesting discussion about this film at:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/526518-historic-colour-film-about-ww2-night-bombing.html?highlight=night+bombers