PDA

View Full Version : Here's a chap to admire

tony draper
2nd Jan 2014, 23:29
Court refuses trial by combat - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1416262/Court-refuses-trial-by-combat.html)
:rolleyes:
Of course the Beak could have turned down the ancient trial by Combat and offered the ancient Trial by Ordeal instead, which I don't think the chap would have liked at all.
:uhoh:

gingernut
3rd Jan 2014, 00:09
I don't know the details of this case Mr D, but the adversarial system of settling disputes is letting us down......ask Milly Dowlers Dad.

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2014, 07:03
I'd suggest that jousting using motorbikes might be a suitably modern version, given the circumstances...

I'd still like to see the stocks brought back for petty thieves and vandals - outside supermarkets on Saturday, in exchange for a small charitable donation, shoppers could put time-expired produce to effective use...

Limeygal
3rd Jan 2014, 07:20
How about good old fashioned bread and water, no plea bargaining, and make them serve their full sentence? (plus the odd thumb screw for the really naughty)

PTT
3rd Jan 2014, 07:42
gingernut, I disagree entirely. While I never wish to be in Milly's father's position, his take on the system - that it is loaded in favour of the perpetrator - presumes guilt and is therefore mistaken. The system is in favour of the accused to ensure an innocent person is not incorrectly punished, which is as it should be. The massive resources of the state should be able to put together a sound case against a guilty individual.
Protection of witnesses and victims is another matter entirely, and I agree that they should have more protections than they currently do, but mixing that issue up with the presumption of innocence helps nobody.

OFSO
3rd Jan 2014, 17:51
the adversarial system of settling disputes is letting us down

Well, it's certainly letting ME down every time I have a serious discussion with the wife !