PDA

View Full Version : Light bulbs in hand luggage?

Espada III
2nd Jan 2014, 18:06
I am travelling hand luggage only and need to carry some boxed G9 halogen light bulbs.

Is this permitted? I cannot see anything online to suggest not, but someone may have experience?

Dash8driver1312
2nd Jan 2014, 18:50
I'd recommend mailing or calling the customer services of the airline you intend to travel with, or the airport you will travel through.

That way you protect yourself of the ignominy of saying "some guy online said it was ok..."

seafire6b
2nd Jan 2014, 21:48
Yep, definitely agree with previous advice. Knowing airport security, they'll probably want something they can open, and then prod around inside.

Must admit, in their shoes and the same as for a bottle of "water", I'd actually be inclined to decline its acceptance as a carry-on item.

carousel
4th Jan 2014, 15:04
Not on the DfT prohibited list so no reason for airport security to trouble you.

PAXboy
4th Jan 2014, 18:21
Good research carousel.

I suggest, Espada III, that you locate that page of information - and all relating to your countries of origion/destination and transit - and print it out with the appropriate headers.

If you have the full info from the correct authority - you have an card to play. Also, Sod's law says that - if you prepare, ity won't happen and you will sail through.

Espada III
4th Jan 2014, 19:02
Well, I e-mailed both Manchester and Zurich airports. Manchester was very explicit about saying yes. Zurich simply advised me to read the "Tips for a smooth journey" leaflet on their website.

I will print out the leaflet and e-mails to take with me.

PAXboy
4th Jan 2014, 23:16
Then you should be fine. You tend to only miss the flight when it's crucial that you get to the meeting/wedding and you tend to only have delays in Customs/passport when you are in a hurry.

The Gremlins know these things ... :E

Espada III
5th Jan 2014, 10:24
So true.......

In my case, the traffic lights always go red as I approach them, when I am late for an appointment. No rush? I arrive early :ugh:

PAXboy
5th Jan 2014, 11:44
If you leave enough 'safety net' time to get to an appointment = you do not need it.

The delays always gang up together, so that when you leave with less safety time = the garbage truck, the learner driver, the road-works etc.

seafire6b
5th Jan 2014, 17:23
Carousel

Firstly, I note that that Espada III has apparently got his concerns sorted, that's fine then.

However, you actually having been in airport security, I'm quite surprised at your, "not on the DfT list so no reason for airport security to trouble you", attitude.

I would've thought there are two separate security factors under scrutiny, one being possible Dangerous Goods as defined by ICAO etc, but also another more sinister and human-inspired threat.

I've tried Googling "halogen lamps", "halogen gas properties" and then "halogen lamps dangerous goods?" and there's some more information:

http://www.icao.int/safety/DangerousGoods/Working%20Group%20of%20the%20Whole%2006/WP.26.pdf

Moreover, when a pax presents you with SEALED CONTAINERS (i.e. light bulbs), do you simply accept the contents are as purported, then confirm as being "not on the list", and then just walk away? Now, that WOULD be worrying! For myself, for any flight I'm aboard, I want Airport Security to open, look and prod all they like!

However, from my very limited background & profile checks (only via pprune website!), I'd be happy to accept Espada III as a bona-fide passenger, non-threat!

Basil
5th Jan 2014, 17:36
I think light bulbs are OK but the heavy ones may put you over the weight limit ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist; hat coat, door . . .

seafire6b
5th Jan 2014, 17:59
Basil

Love it. Ashamed to admit it's so bad, it's even worthy of me!

Espada III
5th Jan 2014, 19:40
However, from my very limited background & profile checks (only via PPRuNe website!), I'd be happy to accept Espada III as a bona-fide passenger, non-threat!

Thank you. As these bulbs are a) small; b) few in number and c) intended for some light fittings in my holiday home; I hope will be able to get them through.

Of course, Mrs E III will now probably decide that as we are travelling SWISS and not eJ, then luggage is 'free', so we can take loads of other things as well; so the question may well become irrelevant......

seafire6b
5th Jan 2014, 19:56
Espada III

Agreed, and so sometimes size does matter! I was thinking perhaps they were stage or TV studio type, but that not being the case, you obviously couldn't get much of anything too dastardly inside small ones - have a good trip!

Espada III
6th Jan 2014, 12:54
Google Image Result for http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/medias/global/ce/5000_5999/5700/5750/5756/575630_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&rlz=1C1GGGE_enGB481GB481&espv=210&es_sm=122&biw=1280&bih=890&tbm=isch&tbnid=W2WI43Ube5LcDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/570758/G9-Halogen-Bulb-40W-230V50-Hz-Pen-shape-&docid=1cq8fUgYNNQUeM&imgurl=http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/medias/global/ce/5000_5999/5700/5750/5756/575630_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg&w=1000&h=1000&ei=RrXKUr_PMYaR0AWtqICADg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:3,s:0,i:107&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=172&tbnw=172&start=0&ndsp=19&tx=57&ty=65)

The whole thing is about 3cm long.

seafire6b
6th Jan 2014, 13:39
Well, that's hardly ambitious if you'd any fearful skulduggery planned, is it? I'd now say they're NO PROBLEM, you and Mrs Espada will sail through without ado. Obviously, you'll still take your print-outs, just in case, although personally, I wouldn't actually offer them unless challenged - no point in actually asking for a Federal Hearing!

Espada III
6th Jan 2014, 15:35
Indeed! Will let you all know.