PDA

View Full Version : Git offa my bald patch (when real men had 45s)...

airship
2nd Jan 2014, 15:32
...and wishing a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all those who've survived thus far in the modern age of the Internet, forums, trolls and DRM (Digital Rights Management) bull-s-h-i-t-e:

Well before the CD, most of us merely aspired to a TECHNICS direct-drive turn-table. NAKAMICHI cassette decks etc. were "the bee's knees" reserved for the most fortunate. Aye, one and all, be extremely envious of the following YouTube video:

Hill Street Blues ( The Original TV theme, by Mike Post/ Larry Carlton ) - YouTube

BTW, I think the drapery (cue) over the tops of the speakers was a nice touch.

And let's all not forget to try to be safe "out there", in this far too fastly-changing world...?! :ok:

tony draper
2nd Jan 2014, 15:43
I have vague recollections of sitting on a very expensive one of them things at a party once, even being in a advanced befuddled state due to ale suppage one still thought it wise to make one's excuses and leave.
:uhoh:

Molemot
2nd Jan 2014, 16:06
If I raise my eyes from the computer screen, I can see my trusty 1977 Technics deck standing ready to play whatever vinyl jazz LPs I care to take out of their cabinet. Last year, I treated the cartridge to a new stylus!!

rgbrock1
2nd Jan 2014, 16:16
I've always thought, subjectively of course, that the sound of a fine diamond needle gliding its way across a vinyl recording, and with the proper equipment reproducing that recording, sounded so much warmer and visceral than the modern day CD.

Akrotiri71
2nd Jan 2014, 16:29
My Linn LP12, Quad 44/405-2 & Linn Kans II still doing the business! :D

vulcanised
2nd Jan 2014, 16:34
'Tis said that vinyl is making a comeback.

I shall have to check the spring in my gramophone.

Akrotiri71
2nd Jan 2014, 16:47
OXDK3x5lAYI

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jan 2014, 17:39
rgb - Ive been listening to that vinyl/cd argument for years and I still haven't a clue what a "warm" sound is.

Any easy way to explain it :confused:

Flash2001
2nd Jan 2014, 17:49
Tube amplifiers tend to "Warm" the sound as they introduce even order harmonic distortion that can be perceived by those with golden ears.

After an excellent landing etc...

rgbrock1
2nd Jan 2014, 17:50
Tanker:

"Warm" sound. I dunno. Like I wrote, it's all subjective anyway. To my ears a CD, or any other forms of electronic media for that matter, sounds tinny. There's a certain tinniness, or subtle lack of depth, to electronic recordings as opposed to vinyl. Again, subjective.

Loose rivets
2nd Jan 2014, 18:38
Yep, my old amp - one of the early big power transistor jobbies - retained that wonderful fullness to the sound. Summer of 2011 in Walton Essex saw me taking out the amp and feeding it into the flat owner's Warfdales. Magic.

I found one record still in the plastic. When played, I was astonished how good the reproduction was. Never have I been satisfied with CDs

I recorded Cecelia Bartoli making the Vivaldi CD. The sound reproduction on VHS was quite good, and to this day still prefer the copy I made onto pro tape of that session, rather than the final product which was very disappointing.

Hearing is a very complex process. Years ago a scientist of some sort published on the holographic structure of sound in the outer ear. I think the brain interprets that cloud of information and produces something much more meaningful than a simple audio transmission.

airship
2nd Jan 2014, 19:34
Patton must today be feeling very grateful for never having lived long enough to see the day when just listening to music became so mundane.

I remember when "playing" music was almost a "Mr. Bean-like" art-form:

Locating the album from its storage (in one of the 25 capacity LP cases I owned at the time).

Gently extracting the LP from its inner sleeve, presenting the cover to all who were present (you didn't need a magnifying glass like with CD covers).

Before gracefully lowering the arm over the lead-in (precisely and without any awkward squeeches).

And expressing somehow that "I" was in some important way, an integral part of the music...?!

Both Patton and I would share this thought. No bravery or sacrifice, no blood spilled, no reaffirmation of good over evil. Just those that are dead and those remaining alive (and probably hard of hearing, thank their lucky stars that's all they suffer from - at least he had 4). Regretting the age of the "button-pushers".

PS. Keep those old valve amplifiers going, never know when we're going to take a big EMP hit...?!

fenland787
2nd Jan 2014, 20:07
Wish I'd still got me Quad 22/11 a) because it sounded great, b) because it would be worth silly money and c) because all those KT66s would keep me warm.

Got rid of it when I built the Lindsey Hood 'Class A' transistor design out of Wireless World back in the 60's. I flogged that and got (and still have) An A&R A60 with Rega Planar 3 deck. Still sounds pretty good to me and much prefer it to the sound of CD/MP3/digital systems.

TomJoad
2nd Jan 2014, 21:58
airship.

What was/is the purpose of the "light posts" (blue/red) throwing light onto the edge of the turntable. Is the purpose to sense and regulate the table speed or is it just a cosmetic thing? Ah, maybe some strobe effect, confirms speed correct when the edge markings are stationary - don't know guessing!

I'm far from being an audiophile, jet noise put paid to that, but I do agree and yes very subjective, but the sound from vinyl is warmer/richer than that from a cd/mp3. In fact I think it has more to do with the analogue format more than anything, all digital music is of course at best a representation of the original - the original having been sampled, cut, compressed etc. Off to the attic to dig out my old set-up now - see what you have started:ok:

PS. I have a simple demo using an old 45 that I use in class when teaching digital/analogue. I spin the record on a hand turned wooden turntable and place a paper cup with a needle sticking out of the bottom as a stylus on the groves. The kids are genuinely amazed and incredulous when they hear the music. They pick up the disk and look for where the sound is coming from. It's such a simple demo but a real golden moment to see the so called digital generation pondering something new from days past. Same goes for when you explain to them wet film cameras. I do catch myself thinking about how quickly this technology has been replaced. No more coveting Dolby, damped cassette eject doors, big bulky SLRs and waiting a week for a spool to be developed.

Loose rivets
2nd Jan 2014, 22:17
I recall hollerin' don't forget the loops, when the kids were spooling 16mm film into a sound projector. That was a very old memory, but like all that old kit, it seems to stay with us forever.

KT66s. Ah, the sweet smell of old amps.

This is a poem what I wrote: (I'd forgotten about the attempted second verse. Any takers?)

Valve radios, aaaaahh, the smell and the heat.
Ten killohm resistors wired ever so neat.
The whistles the pops, the heterodyne wine.
Getting >Much binding' just simply divine.
From body to spot, via tips, parts encoded.
>tis a terrible shame, that it all came outmoded.

The fireside, so warm, the logs stacked up neat.
We=re now tuned to medium wave, the cat at our feet
The latest contestant, the champion to beat.

???????????????????????

Oh, fenland, is your name connected with PYE?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pye+fenman+1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=F_HFUp6iDaKC2wW70YGwDA&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1760&bih=845

Ascend Charlie
3rd Jan 2014, 05:44
To me, vinyl is scratches, clicks, pops and jumps and the occasional-occasional-occasional-occasional jam in one track. Cd-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-ds have different failure modes, but are immensely easier to deal with.

The "warm vinyl Vs tinny CD" argument, to my turbine-affected ears, is similar to those who can taste the difference between a claret from north-facing vineyard in the western paddock of a horse-loving oenophile, from a rough red. To my uneducated deaf palate, it is all slurp-it-down grog.

So I will listen to my iPhone digital music through mini earbuds and slurp on last week's red, and still have as good a time as any of you. To each, his own.:ok: