PDA

View Full Version : Irish aircraft fly . . . backwards?

Discorde
2nd Jan 2014, 11:07
In this Aer Lingus ad the A320 has its reversers deployed. Presumably the aircraft is flying tail first. Is there some aerodynamic advantage in this procedure? How do the pilots see where they're headed? Cameras in the tail? Is this the aerial equivalent of tank-engined steam locos which could be driven bunker first when required?

http://steemrok.com/irish%20aircraft

(Apologies if this image has already been posted)

Molemot
2nd Jan 2014, 11:10
I recall the story of "Wrong Way" Corrigan....

vulcanised
2nd Jan 2014, 11:32
Along the lines of their rockets to the Sun that go at night?

UniFoxOs
2nd Jan 2014, 12:18
I reckon I can see where the nosegear has been photoshopped out.

lomapaseo
2nd Jan 2014, 12:23
not deployed yet just unlocked :)

Tu.114
2nd Jan 2014, 12:37
They might just work like those thrust augmentors on the classic DC-8 by taking in and moving a bit more air in this configuration. Smart...

Fareastdriver
2nd Jan 2014, 13:08
There was the Aer Lingus 747 flying along that had an engine failure. The captain came on the PA and informed the passengers that it could continue flying on three but would take a bit longer to reach their destination.
Soon after another one failed and again the captain said that it could continue but it again would take even longer to their destination.
A third engine then failed and the captain told them that despite this the aircraft would still fly on the one remaining, albeit quite slowly'

One passenger turned to the other.
"For God's sake Paddy. If the last one fails we'll be up here all day'"

5th Jan 2014, 18:48
Irish aircraft fly . . . backwards?

Does that mean that they wouldn't be able to land on a moving conveyor belt?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th Jan 2014, 19:42
I once jumpseated an Aer Lingus 737 Copenhagen to Manchester. On the flight deck door was a sticker... "Fly this aeroplane green side up"!

emergency000
5th Jan 2014, 19:52
I'm pretty sure that's the Expeditious Descent Profile System (EDPS) engaged there. Kind of like opening the speed brakes on an F100. BA also have EDPS fitted to their A320s except the BA version jettisons the fan cowls :P

Bob Lenahan
6th Jan 2014, 22:27
We found that the pilots who couldn't fly a backcourse approach did quite well if they flew the plane backwards, and, since the WX was below VFR, we could land CATIIIc with no need to see. Also worked well on very short runways.
Bob.