PDA

View Full Version : Create editable pdf

BOAC
2nd Jan 2014, 08:20
I need to create a couple for download from a website - are there any freeware progs to do this or do I need to buy Adobe Acrobat Pro?

To add: Win7

CISTRS
3rd Jan 2014, 10:08
I use PDF Converter Professional 8.1

A cheaper alternative to Adobe Acrobat.

LookingForAJob
3rd Jan 2014, 11:03
Not much info to go on from your post. If you're asking how to create a PDF, then there are lots of tools around these days that will do it for free, including online converters. I think I've used PDF Converter - Convert to PDF Online Free (http://www.freepdfconvert.com/) successfully in the past.

If you mean you want to create PDFs with form fields then any recent version of Acrobat Pro can do it and anyone with version X of Reader (maybe earlier but I can't remember) can enter data into the fields and save it. There will be other programs that will do the same but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with them - but I don't think there is one that is truly free to use.

If you mean that you want a PDF in which anything can be edited......why? One of the early benefits of using PDF for documents was precisely so that it couldn't be edited and many of the current features still seek to offer that facility. If you want people to be able to edit a textual document it's probably better to use MS Word/RTF.

Hope there's something somewhere in the above that helps.

BOAC
3rd Jan 2014, 12:01
LFAJ, thanks for the reply, but 'not really' has to be the answer.

I deduce that you say I need to buy Acrobat Pro. To answer your 'why' - it is for a cross-platform editable application form for users for emailing, so Word/RTF not an option.

CISTRS - thanks.

I'll have a scratch around the php/aspx world and see if there is anything there.

First.officer
3rd Jan 2014, 14:36
BOAC,

Have created Forms that sound similar to your needs......I subscribe monthly (£27) for Adobe XI pro, with Forms Central, which is a nice, easy form builder - I then add a "SUBMIT FORM" button, specify the email address I want it to go to, and works like a charm on iPads, Desktop PC's etc.....If you want to have a little more control over look, feel and content, then maybe Adobe LiveCycle ES4 is better? expensive mind, think it's £233!.
Although, if you want to try it, there is a 60-day free Trial period, I'm just in the throes of using/learning to use it, now.

F/o

seacue
3rd Jan 2014, 16:03
If it's a text PDF, it seems to me that I use copy-and-paste with OpenOffice.

I don't think I've tried this with a spreadsheet.

mixture
3rd Jan 2014, 19:56
I need to create a couple for download from a website

What's wrong with a good old fashioned HTML form ?

SawMan
3rd Jan 2014, 22:05
My last machine needed it, so I got pdf995 and it works fine. Two versions available, the freeware has ad's inserted (but you can ignore them) and the $9.95 version has a few more features and no ads.

All of my PC's are purchased used. I run what they've got when I buy them and I fill in any gaps with cheap or free ware which works fine for most casual users. You only need the high-end stuff when you've got complicated details- most people overspend for it and don't need or use the expensive parts. Go with your needs and read off-site reviews before choosing- popular doesn't always mean better or necessary.

BOAC
4th Jan 2014, 08:03
Thank you Sawman - I have sent a PM.