PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos

meadowrun
2nd Jan 2014, 07:57
Dunno why this bothers me (a bit)...mostly could care not what people do to their bods.
But too many these days...mostly ugly... vain?

Uncles had them, mostly from war service - were classy, manly

These days, it just seems over the top, gang/prison related, over done, far into excess and in so many cases ugly, especially on females.

Some, mainly on necks and faces ensure no hireablility and lifetime on benefits.

A little heart, a flower, a military theme alright, plaster your arms, body? I just don't see the attraction.

(no tats, meadowrun)

Blacksheep
2nd Jan 2014, 08:04
I often wonder what they will look like when the owners become old and wrinkly. Uncle Geoff's had some fancy military tatoos done in his twenties when he was in the army. They faded into a fuzzy blur after forty years and he kept his sleeves rolled down to hide them.

John Hill
2nd Jan 2014, 08:21
I think my wife and I might be the only people in this town without one. They are a cultural thing for some people and they certainly dont have the stigma they once had.

Actually I do have a few tattoos which they gave me as aiming points for radiation treatment. Just little black dots but if I had been female and they were on my breasts the health service would have paid for me to visit the seedy side of town and have something 'less disfiguring' put over them!

Capetonian
2nd Jan 2014, 08:53
I remember when an 'ex' of mine came home one afternoon and was acting a bit coy ...... particularly when it came to bedtime. She'd had a big vulgar tattoo of a flower arrangement done on her thigh and she knew I'd be displeased as she knew my views on this as there had been a big debate when her younger sister had had some done, they were bloody awful.

Hers looked awful too and was cheap and nasty as she'd had it done in a studio in the sleazy part of Cape Town, and she ended up with an infection which had to be treated with antibiotics. After a few months the colours spread out and it looked even worse so she went and had another one done. That ended the relationship, although by a strange coincidence I bumped into her a few weeks ago and was tempted to ask her if I could see her thighs but decided not to!

B Fraser
2nd Jan 2014, 09:14
Tattoos are a lifetime reminder of how you felt for a moment.

If Slasher were here, we would have a pic of that bimbo's bum who had an entire rose garden emblazoned across her rear.

Any takers ?

:E

probes
2nd Jan 2014, 09:41
well, there are more traditional beauty trends not exploited yet:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSy-UYKTfVh36dJuzeVaR1eaJcWhsPEcgdoaJ0T1q1c6c3Pp4YYjg

RedhillPhil
2nd Jan 2014, 09:47
Tattoos are a lifetime reminder of how you felt for a moment.

If Slasher were here, we would have a pic of that bimbo's bum who had an entire rose garden emblazoned across her rear.

Any takers ?

:E

Cheryl Cole's rose bottom tattoo would cost 12,000 to remove, as it's revealed a fifth of Britons regret getting inked | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2429136/Cheryl-Coles-rose-tattoo-cost-12-000-remove-revealed-fifth-Britons-regret-getting-inked.html)

dubbleyew eight
2nd Jan 2014, 10:21
I wish women would realise that a tattoo tells the world that you are a slut.
there is really no other term for it.
I dont care what you actually are, what you do is create an indelible message of cheapness.

probes hasn't seen some of the fremantle wildlife.
today, being a gentleman, I allowed her through and walked behind a girl with disc like plates distending her ear lobes as in the african bottom lip nightmare posted by probes.
she was covered from head to foot with ugly coloured tattoos.

I was truely perplexed. none of the tattoos had any cultural significance I could ascertain. what on earth was she trying to tell the world. it certainly wasnt attractive.

arcniz
2nd Jan 2014, 10:29
Tattoos on the mind

Being somewhat shy at the time, one had all twelve of them done in a peachy pale pink as rather reticent strategically affixed engravings making a bold statement at a whisper.

They would come up right clear in view when me hide was cold enough for contrast. Finally had to scratch our favorite annual "polar bear" dip party, when the press were begging to distraction for snaps because folk had begun to talk.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Jan 2014, 10:33
Insecurity

Fliegenmong
2nd Jan 2014, 10:45
I well remember about 5 or so years ago being at my Sons Birthday party at this water park....

Water Park Gold Coast | Theme Parks & Attractions | Wet'n'Wild (http://wetnwild.com.au/)

I was stunned to see how many people were walking around with tatts festooned across their bods from head to toe......

In particular I remember thinking 'I would love to have an interest in a tattoo removal business in a few years time.......'

Turns out I was likely right, but without the funds to get in........ :ugh:

Saw a very pretty girl in a very upmarket establishment a while ago, who, while stunning from one side, turned to reveal a set of dog paws climbing up her neck and across her face :yuk::yuk:

Whilst riding the 'skatey' down to Gym this morning....a couple of Kiwi dole bludgers emerged from a beat up, sun damaged 'Hyundai'.....pair of them faces covered in tatts....maybe cultural reasons., but just looked like a pair of dole bludging kiwi riff raff whom my taxes go to support....:ugh:

603DX
2nd Jan 2014, 10:46
Long ago, the ancient Britons painted their bodies with blue woad, as they followed the primitive social customs of the period. At least that foolish fad could be removed by repeated washing over time, but the only sensible attitude to take regarding tattoo removal is that it is unrealistically expensive, for the majority of the misguided young who disfigure themselves in this manner. For them, the "tramp stamps" are effectively permanent, unlike the so-called "celebs" they seem to be copying, who can afford the huge sums involved in laser removal when the novelty wears off. Even for them, there is no 100% guarantee of success.

The skin is the largest organ of the human body, with a complex tissue structure and sensitivity to cell damage from sunburn, allergies, injuries such as burns, scalds, cuts and grazes, chemical splashings, etc., etc. To willingly allow areas of one's delicate skin to be pierced and injected with coloured dyes of uncertain provenance, by non-medically trained "artists" in naff tattoo parlours is the height of foolhardiness. :suspect:

arcniz
2nd Jan 2014, 10:48
Insecurity

Old School had it that opacity, obfuscation, encryption, noise and confusion were cure for tha, but temps changed the game.

goudie
2nd Jan 2014, 11:14
One night in gay Paree
I paid five francs to see
A great big fat lady
Tatooed from head to knee
And on her jaw was a British Man-o-war
On her back was the Union Jack, so I paid five francs more
Tatooed upon her spine
Was the REME all in line
And on her big fat bum
Was picture of the rising sun
On her fanny, was Jolsen singin' "MAAAMEEE"
How I love her, Oh I love her
And I love my mother in law.

Alloa Akbar
2nd Jan 2014, 11:26
I wish women would realise that a tattoo tells the world that you are a slut

What a modern and well founded assumption.. whatever next I wonder, all Scotsmen are alcoholics maybe? Men with ear piercings are all poofs??

From a Tattooed Scots Ppruner with no ear piercings and a non-tattooed girlfriend.

Happy New Year by the way Beef :ok:

parabellum
2nd Jan 2014, 11:27
Was the REME all in line

That'll be the bloody day! Well, the NAAFI queue perhaps, or sick parade maybe!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

vulcanised
2nd Jan 2014, 11:30
I think 'Tramp Stamp' says it all.

jimtherev
2nd Jan 2014, 11:42
Reminds me of a wedding back in the day when the bride was a former biker. She had had the tats 'removed' by retatting with pink dye. Unfortunately the boiler blew up that morning, and the church, despite lots of portable heaters, was freeeeeeezing. The tats remained pink, but her skin turned blue.
Was a revelation to her rellies and the bridegroom's family... (Presumably the groom knew already, but one doesn't ask these things.)

dubbleyew eight
2nd Jan 2014, 11:54
my grandfather while in his mid 80's was talking to me one day.
he said "you know in my 80 something years I only have one regret, I wish I'd never got this stupid effing tattoo on my arm "

the only time in his life I can ever remember my grandfather actually swearing.

tattoo removal is probably little understood.
it involves using a laser through the skin to disintegrate the dye particles into small enough fragments that they can be removed by the body's lymphatic system.
people have died with lymphatic systems blocked by the dyes from tattooing.

SawMan
2nd Jan 2014, 12:10
I knew a bored fool who thought he'd start doing tattoos. His left arm was covered with blue ink (the only color he had) that would make a 'prison tattoo' look good; his right arm bare (he was right handed). He couldn't afford to pay someone to do his right to match and even if he could it would have made his own work look as awful as it really was- not a very good advertising scheme . He was a small guy so he gathered the nickname "Inky" very quickly- and we got a lot of laughs till he moved away :O

Removal doesn't always work and though the ink may last a lifetime, the clarity won't. Today's '"walking billboards" show me that they lack foresight so they can't be terribly intelligent. It saves me from discovering that the hard way later on :ok:

Alloa Akbar
2nd Jan 2014, 12:16
Well I can honestly say I have two tatts and I am quite happy with both. Different strokes..?

Anyway, I must get back to clubbing baby seals, tearing up the neighbourhood on my motorbike and stealing sweets from babies. :E

rgbrock1
2nd Jan 2014, 12:34
I much prefer my tattoo:

http://www.db45.com/tattoos/tattoopics/army_military_marine/army_military_marine_tattoo_14.jpg

Krystal n chips
2nd Jan 2014, 12:39
" Anyway, I must get back to clubbing baby seals, tearing up the neighbourhood on my motorbike and stealing sweets from babies"

Well there's a revelation !.....I never realised there were seals in Rudyard Lake !.....other than that, you seem to have naturalised yourself with the local population......;):E

As for the, cough ! "quaint" suggestion that any woman who has a tattoo is a "slut"...( I believe a Mrs Cameron has one for example ) clearly your idea of erotica and eroticism, self expression....and the societal changes....it's now 2014 in case you are wondering....suggests you are not familiar with something called.....progress.

I know several ladies who have elegant tattoos, clearly visible, and whom, should you ever make the rash, on your part, comment they were "sluts" would probably smile, sweetly, and then ensure the more delicate parts of the male anatomy were rendered "inop".....and yes, they are all well educated women who are unlikely to be over concerned if a man approves, or otherwise, of the personal choices in all aspects of their lives.

I assume the reason for the tattoo in #22 is that having it on display means there is no confusion.... after a nights sleep.... as to occupation and employer....

probes
2nd Jan 2014, 12:48
jeezzz, rgb! :eek: you can't be serious!

P.S I personally can't understand why not use henna. Looks good and does not bore one till death.

rgbrock1
2nd Jan 2014, 12:59
probes:

Serious as a heart attack! Mitch would be proud, don't you think?!!!

Burnt Fishtrousers
2nd Jan 2014, 13:02
I heard of someone who had a tattoo of the Mona Lisa at the base of her back. When she sat down that enigmatic smile became a broad grin

rgbrock1
2nd Jan 2014, 13:05
I heard of someone who had a tattoo of the Mona Lisa at the base of her back. When she sat down that enigmatic smile became a broad grin

I guess that would bring new meaning to "plumber's crack". :}:E

Flypro
2nd Jan 2014, 13:06
Why would a U.S. Infantryman have a misshapen willie in his mouth?

I think we should be told

Exascot
2nd Jan 2014, 13:12
According to an Australian survey they are the indication of a risk taker. So you don't want to see tattooed flight deck crew the next time you fly. Interesting theory. Many prisoners are tattooed and most criminals are risk takers by definition.

Gorgeous young blonde daughter of a German friend seems to be collecting them. Not gorgeous any more in my eyes :(

superq7
2nd Jan 2014, 13:18
Just to take your mind off RG's tattoo.

http://i43.tinypic.com/15fpszq.jpg

rgbrock1
2nd Jan 2014, 13:18
Flypro:

Don't look now but shortly a small helo bearing a squad of U.S. Army Rangers should be appearing and then hovering over your roof. They aren't amused either. :E:}

PS: that's a dagger, not a misshapen willie. U.S. Army Infantrymen eat daggers for lunch. :}

superq:

Oh my. She seems like a naughty girl. Who needs a good spanking for being so naughty.

Flypro
2nd Jan 2014, 13:34
OOPS, sorry rgbrock1:sad:

Whop...Whop...whop....ARGH!!!!!!

superq7
2nd Jan 2014, 13:36
RG time for your punishment !

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dvo00m.jpg

Alloa Akbar
2nd Jan 2014, 13:39
rgbrock1 - that's a dagger, not a misshapen willie

Thanks for the clarification.. there was an element of doubt just for a second!! :p

Krystal n Chips - Being a chap of fine tastes and elegant desires, I have my baby seal flown in specially and garnished with some nice diced otter.. failing that its Oatcakes with cheese my old duck! :ok:

probes
2nd Jan 2014, 13:51
Serious as a heart attack!
oh my God, rgb, no need to be that serious! - and ok, I'll make an exception just for you. You're forgiven (for having whatever) from now on. :ouch:

EARSA
2nd Jan 2014, 14:18
Gorgeous young blonde daughter of a German friend seems to be collecting them. Not gorgeous any more in my eyes

Tramp stamps, IMO, are not an endearing feature on a woman. It is no longer, however, only women who live in trailers and drink Liebfraumilch who have them.

I've inspected a few tattoos on wenches over the years, it's nearly as much a turn off as pictures of their husband and kids by the bedside table on a nightstop.

Pelikal
2nd Jan 2014, 14:24
Long ago, the ancient Britons painted their bodies with blue woad....

Some of us still do:E:E:E

racedo
2nd Jan 2014, 14:24
Why would a U.S. Infantryman have a misshapen willie in his mouth?

I think we should be told

Don't Ask, Don't Tell.................

M.Mouse
2nd Jan 2014, 14:30
PS: that's a dagger, not a misshapen willie.

Thanks for the clarification because, and I am serious, I too thought it was a penis!

Perhaps I need new glasses.

racedo
2nd Jan 2014, 14:32
Mate who runs an employment agency always asks to meet with candidates before sending them for an interview... always tells them as its not a formal interview then dress casual.

Time and again young ladies turn up showing Tats in visible places......................time and again they self select in ruling themselves out of a lot of potential interviews.

Don't get me wrong people will still get interviews as market good. The difference is between sending someone to a well known name and someone no one heard of.

He will not send someone with visible Tats to see HR in many companies because he knows they will get turned down almost instantenously.

vulcanised
2nd Jan 2014, 14:32
You are not alone..........

seafire6b
2nd Jan 2014, 14:40
Back in the early 1970s there was an excellent tattoo at RAF Greenham Common, the Vulcan's display was awe-inspiring. A great day, but my interest in tattoos went no further....

(Sorry Vulcanised, but your moniker and the word "tattoo" took me back.)

603DX
2nd Jan 2014, 15:14
Time and again young ladies turn up showing Tats in visible places......................time and again they self select in ruling themselves out of a lot of potential interviews.

This was one of several arguments used against my 18 year old granddaughter getting a tattoo, last summer. Her parents, both senior doctors, were also concerned about possible infections from the medically lower-grade level of hygiene associated with the tattooing procedure. She already has mild allergies to certain metals used in costume jewellery, and they felt tattoos to be an undesirable risk. And I pointed out to her that some potential employers, and university admissions interviewers, would be unlikely to look favourably upon visible tattoos.

Alas, most of our well-meaning advice was ignored, and she had a small rose tattoo placed on the inside of her wrist. Her explanation was that by wearing a wide bracelet, bangle or wristwatch to formal interviews, the small flower could be effectively concealed. So at least some of our advice had sunk in!

probes
2nd Jan 2014, 15:23
is she still happy with it?

603DX
2nd Jan 2014, 15:34
Impossible to tell, really. I know her to be a very determined young lady, and feel certain that she would never admit it, even if she wasn't really happy with it! So, inconclusively, she hasn't actually said anything negative. ;)

Ozzy
2nd Jan 2014, 15:44
I have two. Both well thought out prior to seeking the best artist to do them. One in Boston and one in Scotland. They mean something and don't have any Kanji or otherwise symbols I would not understand.

Ozzy

Alloa Akbar
2nd Jan 2014, 15:48
Ozzy.. Mine were done in Spartanburg and Great Yarmouth, but other than that, I'm of the same mind as you.

probes
2nd Jan 2014, 15:52
ok, they mean something - but still, could you verbalise somehow why you wanted them?
I mean it's not probably like piercings for earrings not to lose them (could still happen, but not that often. And more to choose from. Earrings, I mean. As piercings were mentioned earlier, too).

P.S a neutral question, I should add maybe, as I haven't seen any real shocking among friends (and rgb is forgiven, so :ouch:) and do not have any strong emotions this way or other.

Alloa Akbar
2nd Jan 2014, 16:11
Probes,

My first one was done out of (A misguided) token of commitment to my ex-wife. An act of reassurance you might say. She was an insecure girl and by having her name tattooed in an artisitic way of my choosing it was something I couldn't just remove to suit an occasion, which reassured her. The tattoo has since been altered and her name is no longer visible.

The second one was chosen to "balance" the art.. One on my left upper arm and another on my right. The second one was done in reflection of my life at that point, it was called "The Unforgiven" and to this day still reminds me of how bad life can get and how low a man can feel by virtue of his own hand. I see it every day in the mirror and it serves to remind me of how it feels to be at my lowest ebb and how it felt to have friends (Ppruners) who saw, never criticised and forgave. Class acts, all 3 of them!

ShyTorque
2nd Jan 2014, 16:44
Tattoos do deteriorate with time and can cause embarrassment in later years. A proud Welshman in his prime had his manhood tattooed to look like the Mumbles Lighthouse, along with that name written along its full length.

By the time he retired it looked like a tree stump and all that could be seen of the name was the word "Mum". ;)

probes
2nd Jan 2014, 16:51
ok, Alloa, sounds reasonable and makes sense.
Still - you had to alter the first one and probably wouldn't forget the event/time that triggered the second one without it either? Meaning... ashes to ashes, in the long run, and even tattoos give no guarantees? :sad:

probes
2nd Jan 2014, 18:00
illustration added: :cool:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/02/article-2532663-1A62769800000578-319_634x399.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/02/article-2532663-1A62768F00000578-14_306x457.jpg

Woman tries to copy Tulisa's The Female Boss tattoo - but the tattooist spells it wrong | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2532663/Girl-19-left-unsightly-inking-tries-copy-Tulisas-The-Female-Boss-tattoo-tattooist-spells-wrong.html)

B Fraser
2nd Jan 2014, 18:39
Rgbrock,

You ought to get a blue felt tip pen and draw a couple of veins on that dagger handle, it really does look like a knob !

Serious question, why do people get a tattoo of a skull (the individual is clearly dead) and then add a dagger before setting it on fire ? Are they afraid that the subject may get better ?

.......edited following Pprune translating the word for the male appendage that rhymes with knock into "dog".

Pelikal
2nd Jan 2014, 19:25
I dunno, hope it's ok to post this link, this poem has a charm.

*812 WOAD - ANCIENT BRITON'S DRESS CODE by John Knight (http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/812-woad-ancient-briton-s-dress-code/)

tilos
2nd Jan 2014, 20:30
Whenever I go on the pull, I always look for a woman who has a tattoo.
I see a woman with a tattoo and I think "Here's a bird who's capable of making a decision she'll regret in the future."

Ozzy
2nd Jan 2014, 20:52
probes said ok, they mean something - but still, could you verbalise somehow why you wanted them?

I had got divorced and thought FCUK this, so went and got the first one. The second one was to balance things up. I am done, except I have an inkling on a third, but not sure when...

Ozzy

parabellum
2nd Jan 2014, 21:11
As for the, cough ! "quaint" suggestion that any woman who has a tattoo is a "slut"...( I believe a Mrs Cameron has one for example ) clearly your idea of erotica and eroticism, self expression....and the societal changes....it's now 2014 in case you are wondering....suggests you are not familiar with something called.....progress.

Tattoos progress? I think not!

troppo
2nd Jan 2014, 21:34
Tramp stamps and women telling the world they are sluts...:D:D
No false advertising or wining and dining here then...it's a sure thing :}
I got my new wife's name tattooed (in very small font) on my chest whilst she got my name tattooed in very large font tattooed down her leg :D all before I got divorced from the first c:mad:t, I mean wife (no I'm a slow learner and didn't learn the first time).
Then...I find out that she is related to my first wife...:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Alloa Akbar
7th Jan 2014, 08:04
Probes - even tattoos give no guarantees? That's true, but fortunately the name bearing tattoo was of a design whereby the name element could be obliterated without a trace.

Overall I am happy with why I have them and happy that I do have them - No regrets.

Ozzy - Your posts have made me laugh, from the point of view that we had similar reasons for getting the tatts, and also that "itch" for a third. Like you I am unsure as to what it would be or where.

radeng
7th Jan 2014, 09:48
I once interviewed a guy who had tattoos and an ear ring. He didn't get the job......but his technical knowledge was bu**er all anyway, which is no good for work as an engineer.....

If a tattoo could be made electrically conductive (and I'm assured it can't), it would make a lot of medical implant monitoring easier since a better antenna could result. Only use I can see for one....

handsfree
7th Jan 2014, 10:00
I would imagine they're pretty good for identifying body parts when it has all gone horribly wrong.
I seem to remember on my initial flying medical that the doc duly noted down all distinguishing scars and birthmarks presumably for that very use.

Worrals in the wilds
7th Jan 2014, 11:13
Time and again young ladies turn up showing Tats in visible places......................time and again they self select in ruling themselves out of a lot of potential interviews.I can understand this if the job involves customer service or requires good presentation (whatever the gender) but why should it be an issue for a trade or technical position? Surely having a bunch of tattoos doensn't automatically make someone an inferior electrician or computer programmer. I notice that the commentary seems to be skewed (though not exclusively) towards women with tattoos; many non-professional men (particularly military types) have had visible tattoos for as long as I can remember and I don't recall much angst about it.

Recently I attended an awards night where a young woman (a plumber) deservedly won one of the 'young tradie of the year' gongs. She was very pretty and beautifully dressed in a cocktail dress that exposed a full back of tattoos :eek:. Not my thing, but it's her back and it certainly hadn't impacted on her work performance.

I was sitting next to an older senior bloke from my organization, and when she collected her award and turned her back to the audience I saw his eyebrows raise at space-shuttle speed ;) (he wasn't the only one) but...tempus fugit.

Times change...or do they? :}
Lydia the Tattooed Lady - YouTube

probes
7th Jan 2014, 11:32
I was sitting next to an older senior bloke from my organization, and when she collected her award and turned her back to the audience I saw his eyebrows raise at space-shuttle speed
:p that could be the most valid motivation for having one (for me), but as it comes at the expense of one's own skin... :ooh:

P.S could be her eyebrows as well, just to avoid misundestanding :E

Worrals in the wilds
7th Jan 2014, 11:46
Exactly. The outrage factor would be fun ;), but they're still not my thing. Too permanent...:uhoh:
HNY BTW. :)

dubbleyew eight
7th Jan 2014, 11:48
that could be the most valid motivation for having one (for me),

so you get the floral spray down the back to wind people up.
or the big koi carp ending at the navel.
...then you find that you get treated like cheap trash. what do you do then?

far better to buy an orange wig or a big extravagant hat and make the statement that way.
that way when the excitement wears off, which it will, you can put the costume back in the wardrobe and be treated with some respect again.

Fliegenmong
7th Jan 2014, 11:51
Ha ha Worrals, I do love that vid! :ok: Classic stuff! But WTF does HNY mean? :confused:

dubbleyew eight
7th Jan 2014, 11:52
have a happy new year until you figure it out :E

probes
7th Jan 2014, 11:59
laughing real loud. BTW. :)

Worrals in the wilds
7th Jan 2014, 12:07
Sorry about the TLAs (three letter acronyms) :O.
...then you find that you get treated like cheap trash. what do you do then?
Tell the proponent to :mad: off. In a classy way of course...:}

Fliegenmong
7th Jan 2014, 12:09
Ah right...gotcha....:O..NY is already a foggy distant memory...:ouch:

Fliegenmong
7th Jan 2014, 12:10
GGF (?) .... :}