PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook recruiting

The Grey Man
1st Jan 2014, 09:11
I hear Thomas Cook are shortly to start taking on can any one cast any light on this?:D

BN2A
1st Jan 2014, 09:25
Are they ever going to make up their mind???

:ugh:

A and C
1st Jan 2014, 09:32
TC are in a crisis, a business that has big debt problems and cutting costs is the order of the day, but on the other hand they can't run the business without finding some more pilots.

With the management painted into that corner the recruting will be the very minimum that can get away with and my guess they are delaying the decision until they know exactly how much flying they will be doing in 2014.

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Jan 2014, 10:05
Share price is rocketing, losses halved in the year to the end of Sept. At a price though with hefty job losses and 195 travel agency branches planned to close.
I suspect if any pilots needed will be few. Hope the survival continues

bex88
1st Jan 2014, 11:12
Did they not only recently cast off a load to the far flung corners of the earth on career breaks etc. I left a few years ago but based on my experience I can speak very highly of them as a employer. Perhaps the redundancy notice with the headed paper reading "Thomas Cook making dreams come true" was not such a good thing but I enjoyed my time there. Good luck

waco
1st Jan 2014, 11:16
I wish to goodness someone would improve the quality of the pension scheme !

The Grey Man
1st Jan 2014, 11:44
I am a bit confused because I'm sure I read somewhere on here a few months ago that they were offering redundancy. It would of been my airline of choice but I don't think so now.

Sussex Kestrel
1st Jan 2014, 18:33
A & C,

Insightful and thoughtful. Well done for conjuring up two succinct paragraphs of complete and utter :mad:, though. Good effort, nonetheless...

Type changes, base changes, 'reserve captains', career breaks etc would suggest that filling the FTE the company now require, especially on a certain type in a certain base, may prove tricky. Company induced error? Probably. Hence the rumour for a few new guys- almost certainly type rating required?

Summer 2014 confirmed months ago.

macdo
2nd Jan 2014, 07:26
TCX most certainly no longer a basket case, in fact, well on the road to recovery. The last year or two has not been comfortable but there are few better jobs in the UK. I repeat that last bit 'in the UK'. If they do recruit this year, and you are happy to do the traditional thing and sit in the right seat for quite a few years, then it is a very good (not perfect) place to work.
Oh and by modern standards the pension scheme is quite generous.

deepknight
4th Jan 2014, 17:17
By most standards the pension scheme is remarkably generous, thanks to BALPA, though it may not seem like it to the legacy final salary guys. TCX is now well on the way to regaining its former position, as even a cursory glance at the city will show. But it has not been without extreme cost, and sadly, for the moment, TCX is no longer a career airline. You could pick at random almost any F/O from the list and elsewhere they would be a 10 year captain. Indeed, there are several 10-year captains who, in April, will be back in the right seat. Any F/O positions are certain to be temporary and may well require a type rating. But if you're young and prepared to give it time you could do far worse.

The Grey Man
5th Jan 2014, 10:05
Why are they reducing the pilot work force when all other airlines appear to be expanding ? I understand it appears to be not a happy place to be. Which is a great shame.

LIMA OR ALPHA JUNK
6th Jan 2014, 19:28
Fleet reduction is the short answer in 2012. Over 30 skippers, the DFO claims are not required for summer 2014 due to the fleet remaining static this year. Consequently they are being demoted in April.

TCUK is using 3 ACMI aircraft this summer instead of flying the passengers in house and blocks of capacity have been sold to Easyjet. There are a large number of Captains on career breaks to return still. Any junior F/O is wasting his/her time at TCX long term, short of massive expansion occurring.

Hope that helps.

The Grey Man
23rd Jan 2014, 13:27
Does any TCX guys know which bases or fleets they are recruiting for ?:D

macdo
23rd Jan 2014, 16:32
Why make a post like that unless you have seen an ad. or have it from the horses mouth that they are about to recruit. I know 2 people who would love to get into TCX and posts like the above just cause upset. If you know something concrete, share it, otherwise don't post.:mad:

Deeply Concerned
23rd Jan 2014, 17:27
Quite with you macdo. The Grey Man is probably fishing for information but lets put this to bed permanently. There will be no recruitment this year. If there's any capacity required it will be filled with Cadets from Condor.

Three Lions
26th Jan 2014, 08:22
Condor are taking cadets and also FOs with experience. They are now one big company so the post above could make sense

Thomas Cook still have many guys of their own to head back, so its doubtful there will be any recruitment this time round. Its clear to see they have bottomed out however there were some tough decisions taken over the last year or so, and TCX will look to bring their own people back first.

Its tough if you are looking to break in to one of the Operators in the UK but admirable in another way.

jaja
26th Jan 2014, 11:41
Three Lions qoute :

“ They are now one big company "

Not so. Thomas Cook UK, Scandinavia, Belgium and Germany are still independant airlines...

Capt Scribble
26th Jan 2014, 18:17
But working towards being interoperable, such as standardising the SOPs across all fleets this week.

Old King Coal
27th Jan 2014, 08:33
jaja & Capt Scribble: Uhm, where & when did we hear that concept before?... ah yes, now I remember: Air Europe, in the late 1980's / early 1990's (and I was there) !

macdo
2nd Feb 2014, 09:30
Cost saving synergies, route sharing, personnel sharing, a/c sharing and common operational policies etc. are slowly being rolled out. AOC issues will hold back true integration for the time being. Condor cadets are going to be doing some of their line training in the UK this summer. No sign of any UK recruitment yet, but that doesn't mean that there won't be any.

DooblerChina
3rd Feb 2014, 07:51
Cost saving synergies, route sharing, personnel sharing, a/c sharing and common operational policies etc. are slowly being rolled out. AOC issues will hold back true integration for the time being. Condor cadets are going to be doing some of their line training in the UK this summer.

So to summarise, despite the fanfare and press releases, they are just doing what TUI have been quietly getting on with for years?

macdo
3rd Feb 2014, 08:45
If you mean by that, that they are trying to become a profitable business and keep us all in jobs, then yes. It is not a nice process to be on the the receiving end of, but unemployment is worse.

DooblerChina
3rd Feb 2014, 16:09
Macdo, you are correct about staying in employment. I'm just surprised they (TCX) got themselves into such a mess in the first place and can't work out why they never thought that European integration would be a good cost saving before the preverbial hit the fan.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

macdo
3rd Feb 2014, 21:55
The short answer is unbelievably poor management of the Thomas Cook Group by the previous board (who have mostly now been removed). The sad tale of the demise of TC is well documented in the press, but it was the inability of the UK tour operator to sell holidays at a profit which did for them. The UK airline (which is a small cog) was quite tightly run and probably turned a small profit, bearing in mind that it had little control over the price it sold its seats at, which was set by the tour operator. The German and Scandi tour operations are successful in their own right, so unsurprisingly the new model is increasingly mirroring their operation. History is littered with travel companies that expand rapidly the collapse, usually by virtue of poor management. As we stand, the current group management have the backing of the City and appear to have an expansionist and innovative approach to the group airlines working together. So far, so good! We all wait with baited breath to see if it works out.

macdo
26th Dec 2014, 10:30
No advert to see, just an existing pile of cv's.

roxypilot
22nd Sep 2015, 10:57
Anyone done the sim assessment lately on either the Airbus or the Boeing? I would be grateful for any hints on what could be expected. Please PM me.

Thanks

Harry palmer
22nd Sep 2015, 13:18
Are selections taking place? Very quiet thread.

Weathergirly
23rd Sep 2015, 11:13
Recruiting now for 757 drivers. Sim and interview. Manchester and Gatwick bases.

Harry palmer
23rd Sep 2015, 12:33
Is that for rated 757 guys only?

Turbine1
25th Sep 2015, 09:43
Best check Flight for the latest from TCX, looking like Type ratings for all fleets.

north coast
5th Oct 2015, 08:25
Hi guys

Anyone know what to expect at a TCX assessment day?

Cheers

NC

halfofrho
12th Oct 2015, 11:01
Does anyone know how many hours are required to join as an SFO?

Jonty
14th Oct 2015, 16:20
SFOs need an unfrozen ATPL. To get in at the moment you will also need a type rating.

A320baby
14th Oct 2015, 16:48
If your rated on the 330 could you go direct entry to the 330 or start on the 320 and join the Que?

Cheers

halfofrho
14th Oct 2015, 17:56
SFOs need an unfrozen ATPL. To get in at the moment you will also need a type rating.

Thanks Jonty. I'm current on the A320, no A321 experience though. However I guess that's not too much bother for them...

Turbine1
15th Oct 2015, 08:12
If you look at your Licence it would say A320 not 321, earlier this year i transferred over to the Bus and did the whole course for the 320.

If your rated on the 330 could you go direct entry to the 330 or start on the 320 and join the Que?

Join the Que A320baby, or if you did manage to get a main base like Manchester it could come quit quickly. Manchester is the Hub of the world for TCX at the Moment expect to see more routes in the future, at least thats what I'm hearing on Cabin FM.

Enjoy the process and just be yourself.

A320baby
15th Oct 2015, 08:41
Cheers Turbine :ok:

Jonty
15th Oct 2015, 08:56
A320/A321 is the same aircraft, so it doesn't matter if you have never flown the A321.

Not sure of the bases that we are recruiting for, but if you get MAN you can expect to be on the A330 straight away if your rated, or with in the first year if not.

The training burden this year is huge, so thats why type rated guys are preferred.

highfive
15th Oct 2015, 09:28
I hear a few of Sir Dickies finest A330 boys are applying. But deemed too old n grumpy ;)

A320baby
22nd Oct 2015, 14:50
Highfive good one :ok:

Superpilot
22nd Oct 2015, 15:17
Assessments have been taking place since beginning of October. Last we heard was 50 positions with around 100 applications. However, despite this, the standards are high as two people I recommended didn't make the cut.

nick14
22nd Oct 2015, 18:27
Any non rated applicants getting interviews?

Superpilot
23rd Oct 2015, 06:53
Nope. We don't have the capacity for non experienced this year. Also, assessment days typically have 4 to 5 candidates attending rather than the 20 or more that might attend BA or TUI. It may therefore be January before you get your turn.

nick14
23rd Oct 2015, 10:00
I'm experienced but non rated. I don't expect to get anywhere but if you don't ask you don't get.

Deano777
23rd Oct 2015, 10:48
Just had it confirmed this morning, there will be no non type rated recruitment this winter, it will be looked at again for next winter.

macdo
24th Oct 2015, 15:30
I believe that a few job offers have already been made.

marlowe
30th Oct 2015, 12:26
I expect one non rated position to be held open as the chief pilot will be getting a phone call from his brother in law!

aussiesteve
31st Oct 2015, 18:24
Can anyone shed some light on how the Rosters generally look? Long Haul and short?
I am coming from pretty much 5 on, 3 off. averaging about 80 hours a month.

Any kind of information would be appreciated.

Thanks

420 HB
23rd Nov 2015, 00:00
Has anyone who has attended the assessment been notified by TCX with a job offer yet? Also start dates?

The Crew
23rd Nov 2015, 14:47
HR seem to think that us applicants are so desperate, we are hanging on their every word. I only applied as it was so easy and required zero thought. Would i go there? No , but I'm doing my due dilligence

I wont state my experience, but i gather they want sub 20 year olds who actually suck up to the platitudes spouted by those entrenched in HR.

rogerg
23rd Nov 2015, 16:44
I wont state my experience, but i gather they want sub 20 year olds who actually suck up to the platitudes spouted by those entrenched in HR
This is untrue, as a 45 year old friend with 2500 hrs or so has just been recruited as an SFO.

marlowe
23rd Nov 2015, 17:41
Has Hutchings given a slot to the brother in law yet?

Superpilot
24th Nov 2015, 07:02
HR have very little involvement in TCX pilot recruitment. I can tell you this as someone who went through the process less than than a year ago. We are looking for type rated and experienced pilots therefore like last year most hires cannot be sub 20 yo. Recruitment is mostly a pilot conducted affair. Out of interest when did you attend? And how are you chasing up? It looks like training capacity will be an issue once again this year so that could be the reason behind why you are not being informed just yet. It's pilot recruitment we're talking about here. Things change all the time.

420 HB
11th Dec 2015, 17:26
It seems that there has been a few Boeing rated pilots taken on so far. With at least another 8/9 vacancies to fill. Has anyone Airbus rated been taken on yet, or is it all CTC kids?

macdo
12th Dec 2015, 14:53
The group of guys I saw in training last week all seemed to be ex-MON 330 drivers, but I'm told its been a fair spread of backgrounds. Recruitment numbers allegedly into the low 70's now!

PAPI-74
16th Dec 2015, 07:39
How are their loads these days and are they worth jumping to from a job security aspect?

ShotOne
16th Dec 2015, 18:09
Job security these days? Work in airport security. TCX no worse than anywhere else in that respect..but don't make the beginners mistake of assuming full aircraft =big profits. Folk have made that mistake since DanAir days.

PAPI-74
16th Dec 2015, 20:33
So in other words, you don't have a clue how North Africa and the badly managed PR blunder in the hotel have affected loads,
or if it is business as usual and passengers appear to be as keen on winter sun as they always have been.

ShotOne
16th Dec 2015, 21:13
"Don't have a clue..." If that's a genuine question as opposed to a vent for abrasive comment then, Yes I do; almost all flights are full or very nearly so.

PAPI-74
16th Dec 2015, 21:36
So why not just say that, instead of the usual attempt at being clever this site festers....

BN2A
16th Dec 2015, 23:14
It's charter.... Flights will always be mostly full.

The fact that there are reduced numbers of flights is another matter. If there are fewer flights to TFS, DLM, PMI, AGP, and all the other favourites, the fact that the remaining flights are full is not the indication you are looking for..

:=

kick the tires
17th Dec 2015, 06:51
almost all flights are full or very nearly so.

Whilst looking good, it means nothing. Yield is what is important, how much the company is left with having covered ALL costs of the flight and the Companies infrastructure.

A flight could be full of people paying a tenner a seat; but sure as eggs is eggs, the coffers would soon empty.

ShotOne
17th Dec 2015, 10:23
"...it means nothing" -which is exactly what I said to start with.

"This site festers.." -What do you hope to achieve by posting here, PAPI ? You have no apparent interest in T's and c's, just seem want to make abrasive and insulting comments

horsebox
17th Dec 2015, 15:50
Not rocket science to do some simple research.. ?

UPDATE 2-Thomas Cook says holiday demand rises despite security fears | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/thomas-cook-results-idUSL8N13K0SX20151125)

Bernoulli
18th Dec 2015, 09:01
Don't fret Shot One, most people understood you perfectly well. I don't think Papi 74 is the sharpest tool in the box and covers his (it's usually a bloke isn't it) shortcomings with abrasive bluster. Ignore.

PAPI-74
19th Dec 2015, 18:51
I began asking a simple open ended question for the gaps to be filled and was met with a patronising response. Am I to let that slide and just say thanks?

I did do a search thank you horsebox, but it is usually worth seeking a professional opinion from inside. In this incidence, clearly a waste of time as anonymity has yet again turned people into ar:mad:holes.

Bernoulli, you should look at wiping that brown dinosaur muck off of you nose prior to report tomorrow - not a good look me old china!

Wishing you a very happy Christmas.

P

flyvirgin
2nd Jan 2016, 15:32
Has anyone been on the selection lately? I got a interview in the next couple of weeks for the 321...

Pm's are welcomed :ok:

aussiesteve
8th Mar 2016, 14:16
I attended the assessment day early 2016.

Consisted of 45min HR interview and a 10 min tech quiz. Nice and basic.
Then 45 min simulator session with a TCX rated SFO/CPT in the LHS.
Tracking in/out bound from VOR, RAW data ILS to minimums & GA.
Handed over control, did ECAM for Engine failure, then LOC Only NPA on single engine to land.

Got a job offer after coming out of the sim, I can only assume because the start date was coming up to 3 months away (notice period for current airline).

There were 4 of us that day, all of us had jobs waiting unless we messed up I heard. Two didn't get in due simulator fails.

Looking forward to starting later this year.