PDA

View Full Version : Ipad4 and MiFi

denachtenmai
31st Dec 2013, 19:01
Madam had an Ipad4 for Xmas and as it's our first Apple product there is a quite steep learning curve for me :eek:
Does anyone know about MiFi? 'cos SWMBO will want to take it on holiday later, she's hooked on scrabble, and the hotel wifi doesn't cover the pool area.
I have looked into it a little and can see the attraction of a month's coverage, whereby you buy the gadget and then have a paid for limit, but I can't find how it is powered, is it a li on battery? and more importantly, do they do what it says on the tin regarding coverage and speed?
(By the way, it's needed in Cyprus ;))
Regards, Den.

mixture
31st Dec 2013, 20:09
but I can't find how it is powered, is it a li on battery? and more importantly, do they do what it says on the tin regarding coverage and speed?

Recently bought myself a Huawei E586Es one to play with just purely out of curiosity.

Its powered/charged through a micro-USB port on the bottom of the unit.

Coverage & speed is subject to the same factors as any other mobile device.... the network you are on and the location you are in.

denachtenmai
1st Jan 2014, 06:45
mixture
thanks, that was the one that I was looking at, buy for around £30 and £15 for a month's use, should keep her happy :)
Regards, Den
Correction, this is what I looked at, Huawei WiFi E5332.

mixture
1st Jan 2014, 16:35
No worries, have fun and good luck with SWMBO !

Mike-Bracknell
3rd Jan 2014, 11:27
I've had a few Mifis, they're good kit (certainly MUCH better than the faff of installing dongle drivers on a PC).

Be aware though that most Mifis are SIM-locked and need unlocking before using a local SIM card (which would be the sensible thing to do when in a foreign country). The unlocking procedure isn't childs play however, so probably best to ensure it's done in the UK before you leave (when you don't have to shout and wave your hands around to communicate with non-English-speakers).

:)

denachtenmai
6th Jan 2014, 14:08
Thanks Mike, didn't think of that, mind you there is a lot of English spoken in Cyprus. :)
Regards, Den.

Pezzar
10th Jan 2014, 06:22
Best to get it unlocked by your network provider, that way you know its done properly.