PDA

View Full Version : New Years Honours list...not the usual suspects

Krystal n chips
31st Dec 2013, 06:39
Invariably, said list usually contains more than a sprinkling of the fawning, the useless, the talentless, the political parasitic and pretentious non-entities and some non descript luvvies.

This time however, apart from the percentage of women being more than men and I can understand how traumatic this will be for those on here who, sadly, seem to have had encounters with ladies ( referred to as a "chicks" in one instance I seem to recall) and indeed the ladies of Crawley who were clearly more discerning that said poster gave them credit for....likewise being oblivious to attractive women in Swindon .... and others who feel that women are merely objects.

BBC News - New Year's Honours: Lansbury and Keith lead women-dominated list (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25550751)

Of all those included, the awards to the two ladies who displayed the moral resolve and determination to expose the malaise of Staffs Hospital are the most deserved......in my less than humble opinion that is. Although I suspect I am not alone in the UK in expressing this sentiment.

However, as Camerloon and Co, have long been accused of ignoring women in preference to their own incestuous circle of "good chaps"...and we have an election looming in 2015, then you can't help thinking....hmmm? astute ( for Cameron that is ) political sop.

BUT !...the really good news.....!.....the name / brand Beckham is conspicuous by its absence !.....:ok:

UniFoxOs
31st Dec 2013, 08:39
I think this must be a record - first time I can agree with you.

Checkboard
31st Dec 2013, 10:56
So that's the good.

...then there's the bad:
The 'cronies' honours list: Controversy over knighthood for PR man who holidayed with Cameron and awards to Tory and LibDem donors | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531404/The-cronies-honours-list-Controversy-knighthood-PR-man-holidayed-Cameron-awards-Tory-LibDem-donors.html)

... and the K for doing your job:
Queen thanks doctor who delayed retirement to oversee royal birth of Prince George | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531433/Queen-gives-thanks-doctor-delayed-retirement-oversee-royal-birth-Prince-George.html)

Smeagol
31st Dec 2013, 11:17
Having some time on my hands this morning I read the list of honours recipients and a significant couple of groups appeared (to me at least!)

One was the inevitable large number of civil servants (I did not attempt to count but would guess that this is the single largest group)

Second was the number of teachers, usually 'heads' of some school

Both groups would seem to have been honoured for 'doing their job'.

My question would be: in these professions is doing ones' job that unusual?

UniFoxOs
31st Dec 2013, 12:36
My question would be: in these professions is doing ones' job that unusual?

Yes, IMO, but I have the feeling that the gong is more to do with seniority than performance.

Sir George Cayley
31st Dec 2013, 12:47
Not many in the Aviation World. :{

SGC

SpringHeeledJack
31st Dec 2013, 12:50
The doctor who delivered the royal baby received a gong, yet all the other deliveries (of future tax payers :hmm:) went unnoticed. The system could do with a rethink. Maybe they should be sparing with the awards for REALLY outstanding service to the country ?

SHJ

Mr Chips
31st Dec 2013, 13:26
Doctor Marcus Setchell, who delayed his retirement after being asked by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to oversee the birth of Prince George is made a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO) - an honour in the personal gift of the Queen.

As that specific award is "the personal gift of the Queen" I would see it as entirely reasonable. I don't personally understand why actors and actresses get rewarded for doing a job that is normally well paid...and indeed there are usually calls that they "have earned it"

Lon More
31st Dec 2013, 13:33
I wonder how that lot slipped by the Fail's censors Checkers?

:ok: to one of the comments there They now put CBE over the door. 'Cameron's Buddies Entrance'. Over the other door? Why 'Osborne's Buddies Entrance', of course.

radeng
31st Dec 2013, 14:39
>Of all those included, the awards to the two ladies who displayed the moral resolve and determination to expose the malaise of Staffs Hospital are the most deserved......in my less than humble opinion that is. Although I suspect I am not alone in the UK in expressing this sentiment.<

Yes. Most of these 'honours' are usually for sports people, actors/actresses, head teachers and civil servants - and I've never understood why they get an honour for doing their job - frequently badly. These two ladies really do deserve the honour. I hope there are no managers from that Trust getting any honour other than the order of the boot.....

Cumulogranite
31st Dec 2013, 15:53
One was particularly unimpressed with the CEO of the UK Border agency being gonged. This would be the organisation that caused immense queues at LHR last year? Or how about the head of the MOD procurement section for services to reducing costs? Yeah right, I do it every day at work, do I get a gong? No, because I work in the real world not Westminster!!

Tankertrashnav
31st Dec 2013, 16:13
They now put CBE over the door. 'Cameron's Buddies Entrance'. Over the other door? Why 'Osborne's Buddies Entrance', of course.

When I was in the RAF , OBE stood for "Other Buggers' Efforts", which usually summed it up.

There's a tendency on here to moan about awards for actors, sportsmen, singers, etc, whilst there is general approval for service awards (see the thread on Military Aviation). Looked at quite dispassionately, apart from gallantry awards, there's no more justification in a serviceman or woman getting an award for doing his or her job than an actor, civil servant, sportsman etc. That said I think it's all good fun, although would ever persuade me to address Cliff Richard as "Sir Cliff"!

G-CPTN
31st Dec 2013, 19:25
Apparently, Andy the Tennis cannot qualify for becoming a Sir until a couple of years have passed from his OBE (last New Year).

I don't know why the Beckham boy (OBE 2003) didn't get Knighted for his Olympic efforts - maybe nobody recommended him (or the letter went to the wrong address)?

gingernut
31st Dec 2013, 21:52
Great to see lot's of nurses in the list :-)

Airey Belvoir
1st Jan 2014, 00:03
It's maybe a na´ve view but these awards are generally given for going above and beyond the normal requirements of the "job".

Equally, there is a quota that normally has to be filled and, yes, some of those will undoubtedly be based on seniority.

However, most people, ordinary people, could qualify for a 'gong' - it just needs someone to get off their arse and write it up - properly. That is so rare outside of the military and civil/political services sphere that the submission would almost certainly get a guernsey.

How do I know? Used to write 'em up and check 'em when I was in the RAF and, since then everyone that I've written up (very, very few - and in a different country) have succeeded.

ExSp33db1rd
1st Jan 2014, 06:24
Equally, there is a quota that normally has to be filled and, yes, some of those will undoubtedly be based on seniority.

Hebrews 13 v 8.

Waterfordman
1st Jan 2014, 07:45
Two great friends of mine Margaret & Barry Mizen are in that list, truly deserved.