PDA

View Full Version : Can I maintain my own aircraft with B1.1 ?

MGbird
29th Dec 2013, 18:31
Hello,
let's dream a little bit:
If I purchase my own warbird (for ex. L-29) and I have Part 66 B1.1, so can I maintain and do all inspections for it by myself ?
Maybe, do I need a type rating ? Or Part-145 organization for this job or something ?

Yes, of course I don't have money for that, but I just need to figure out the situation. I read all the internet but didn't find serious information about that.
Thank You and Happy New Year !

emergency000
30th Dec 2013, 00:40
I see you're in Lithuania, so you'll be under the EASA system. An EASA B1.1 catergory license entitles the holder to certify fixed-wing turbine aircraft.

So: if you do purchase an L-29, given it's a fixed-wing, turbine-powered aircraft with a MTOW under 5,700 kg, you should be authorised to certify the aircraft on a B1.1 license without a type rating. That being said, however, keep in mind that there are exceptions to the 5,700 kg MTOW rule, as in the case of some bizjets like the Embraer Phenom 100 which is under 5,700 kg MTOW but still requires a type-rating due to the complexity of the aircraft.

If, however, you purchased a piston-powered warbird, you would NOT be authorised to certify it with a B1.1 license. For this you'd need a B1.2 license.

Finally, also keep in mind that certain maintenance tasks, such as flight control rigging, will require an independent inspection and certification by another, suitably qualified engineer. Typically, I believe, the same engineer cannot carry out the same flight control rigging task on both sides of the aircraft (rigging ailerons, for instance). The primary task must be done by different engineers on each side of the aircraft and the independent inspection carried out by different engineers for each side, so you could rig one side and inspect the other and vice versa for the other engineer.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
John

Gas Bags
30th Dec 2013, 01:02
I think Part 145 may be your stumbling block, not Part 66.....

MGbird
30th Dec 2013, 03:09
Thank You ! You really helped me.

And what if a MTOW is over 5,700 kg ? Then do I need a type rating ?

I'm just interested how people maintain for ex. mig-21, l-29, l-39 in USA, Australia, GB, Germany and other non-soviet countries...

emergency000
30th Dec 2013, 19:17
And what if a MTOW is over 5,700 kg ? Then do I need a type rating ?

If the aircraft has a type certificate then you'll need to have done a type course on the aircraft as well as have the necessary minimum hours of experience on type, certified by another type-rated LAME. The exceptions to the 5,700 kg MTOW rule is with aircraft like aerial ag aircraft, Air Tractors and the like, which are over 5,700 kg MTOW but are not type rated. As I said, best check with your country's airworthiness authority as to which aircraft are type rated and which aren't.

In Australia, I believe most people who own such aircraft have them maintained by a CASA Part 145 approved maintenance organisation.

Cheers,
John

Rigga
30th Dec 2013, 20:00
Ex-Mil aircraft are classed as "Type II" in EASA-land and have special regulations appended to them.

Because they don't have EASA/FAA Type Certificates most fly under a "Permit to Fly" and have restrictive maintenance programmes normally ensuring that they are maintained more stringently than when in 'Service'.

Even if no Type Certificate - a Type Course may still be "required" - for the Vulcan, Marshall's had to re-create type courses for its Certifiers.

Additional restrictions are made against Turbine engines due to their complexity.

You will probably need Part 145 maintenance and Part M Management for it too, not forgetting OEM support for both the airframe and Engine to ensure stresses and repairs are properly overseen.

All adds up to quite expensive support costs on top of quite cheap purchase costs (I think the real purpose of these reg's is to price-out the ex-mil market)

wigglyamp
30th Dec 2013, 22:17
EASA Annex 2 aircraft aren't certified using an EASA Part 66 licence. In the UK, you have to hold a BCAR licence (unless you hold a company approval such as the Vulcan guys have) and the maintenance company would have A8 approvals for maintenance and CAMO instead of Part 145/Part M. For other European countries, similar national approvals will apply.